Liquid Gold - 2014
Aug 1, 2015 at 10:34 PM Post #166 of 808
Hey Guys,

What DAC would you recommend pairing with the LAu?
I was planning on grabbing the Yggdrasil, but I've been told it may not be the best match for the LAu.

Any suggestions?

I'll be getting the Abyss as well.

I use the LAu and the LL2 with the Bricasti M1. Very happy with the pairing. :)

Aug 26, 2015 at 7:46 AM Post #167 of 808
Hi, I've just bought a LAu and I could buy a "La Scala MK2 dac". Someone has tried this pairing ? Do you think it'a good match with the LAu ? The Bricasti M1 is more expensive and I'll buy an Abyss so my wallet will be empty soon.
Sorry for my english, it's not my primary language.

Sep 28, 2015 at 4:49 PM Post #168 of 808
Always been a big fan of Cavalli since LF way back when. Finally recently had the opportunity to pick up the LAu and it's been the one that got away so I bit the bullet and made a deal.  I've thrown the thing into the deep end right away with the HE-6....and although I am definitely still in the honeymoon phase.....I find little reason to think otherwise.....IMO this is the best my HE-6 has sounded with any of my headphone amps (never tried the speaker amps like the hardcore fellas though).  Simply effortless with precision like response/decay.  Absolute pleasure to listen to out of Metrum Hex on high gain.  Just thought I'd drop a line, thanks Alex for another great product.  Might take a lot of my listening time away from my Liquid Glass though....there's just something about this man's amps.

Nov 5, 2015 at 2:34 PM Post #169 of 808
  ....there's just something about this man's amps.

I agree. That's how I came to work with Alex. After extensive research I discovered his LF back in the day and decided more people should hear his stuff. So I work with him because I think he makes the best amps around.

And my LAu never ceases to surprise me with what it can do.

Currently I have it running XLR out to some PSB Imagine B's (4 ohm, 89db sensitivity), fed by a Chord 2Qute. I'm blown away by this set up. I am getting nearly 90db SPL @ 1 meter per channel, with a -20db signal output from the DAC. It handles these little gems with a clarity and precision I have never heard from them before. They sound huge, and much more organic, lifelike, and effortless. I'm seriously in awe of what I have discovered here. 

Nov 10, 2015 at 8:48 AM Post #170 of 808

I agree. That's how I came to work with Alex. After extensive research I discovered his LF back in the day and decided more people should hear his stuff. So I work with him because I think he makes the best amps around.

And my LAu never ceases to surprise me with what it can do.

Currently I have it running XLR out to some PSB Imagine B's (4 ohm, 89db sensitivity), fed by a Chord 2Qute. I'm blown away by this set up. I am getting nearly 90db SPL @ 1 meter per channel, with a -20db signal output from the DAC. It handles these little gems with a clarity and precision I have never heard from them before. They sound huge, and much more organic, lifelike, and effortless. I'm seriously in awe of what I have discovered here. 

Could you show how you modified the XLR cables to connect them to your PSB's?

Nov 10, 2015 at 11:45 AM Post #171 of 808
  Could you show how you modified the XLR cables to connect them to your PSB's?

A lot of custom cable makers will make XLR to banana plugs/spades connectors for this purpose.  

Soundfreaq, off note but to this day I still love my PSB Platinum Surround setup+NAD components in one of my home theater setups (the older one, the newer one I went with Paradigm).  It's a shame PSB doesn't get the recognition they deserve IMO, Paul Barton is a master of his craft.

Jan 12, 2016 at 7:03 PM Post #172 of 808
i am looking forward to buy this amp just for the HE-6

i heard it can drive the HE-6 with ease, thats why i am going for it, yet wanted to ask, do i connect the HE-6 directly to the amp? without worrying about any clipping issues or load problems, i hope i can.

for the source i will be using Hugo TT.

Jan 12, 2016 at 7:15 PM Post #173 of 808
  i am looking forward to buy this amp just for the HE-6

i heard it can drive the HE-6 with ease, thats why i am going for it, yet wanted to ask, do i connect the HE-6 directly to the amp? without worrying about any clipping issues or load problems, i hope i can.

for the source i will be using Hugo TT.

Yes there won't be clipping of any sort....the LAu handles the HE-6 with relative ease.  Just plug in your headphone and turn up the volume after the amp warms up for 2-3 minutes (all lights white and ready to go).

Jan 12, 2016 at 8:05 PM Post #174 of 808
Yes there won't be clipping of any sort....the LAu handles the HE-6 with relative ease.  Just plug in your headphone and turn up the volume after the amp warms up for 2-3 minutes (all lights white and ready to go).

Agreed. No issues driving the HE-6. I simply switch it to high gain. Interestingly, at about the same settings as the Abyss. :)

Jan 12, 2016 at 8:10 PM Post #175 of 808
Thanks for the info guys, really helpful ^^ 

Jan 13, 2016 at 5:59 AM Post #176 of 808
Thanks for the info guys, really helpful ^^ 

Any time! I'm sitting at home after a long day at the office and listening to Anita Mui on the Final Sonorous X off the LAu. Life is good... :)

Jan 13, 2016 at 9:46 AM Post #177 of 808
Any time! I'm sitting at home after a long day at the office and listening to Anita Mui on the Final Sonorous X off the LAu. Life is good...
smily_headphones1.gif

I envy you KS!

Jan 13, 2016 at 9:48 AM Post #178 of 808
Haha! Thanks! It's good for old folks to get some therapeutic downtime. :)

Mar 16, 2016 at 12:35 AM Post #179 of 808
So I'm borrowing a LAu from Warren here in the few days leading up to Canjam Socal.  It's pretty amazing.  I've got three TOTL headphones here for use on it: HD800, Ether and Ether C.  It somehow manages to "correct" the issues with each and every one of those headphones.  I've never heard any of them sound so good.  

My goal was to do some critical listening so I could report on it to people thinking about upgrading with the Carbon upgrade discount.  Unfortunately, I just keep falling into the music!  Maybe I need to play some worse music...

Mar 16, 2016 at 1:22 AM Post #180 of 808
So I'm borrowing a LAu from Warren here in the few days leading up to Canjam Socal.  It's pretty amazing.  I've got three TOTL headphones here for use on it: HD800, Ether and Ether C.  It somehow manages to "correct" the issues with each and every one of those headphones.  I've never heard any of them sound so good.  

My goal was to do some critical listening so I could report on it to people thinking about upgrading with the Carbon upgrade discount.  Unfortunately, I just keep falling into the music!  Maybe I need to play some worse music...

Haha! :thumbsup: Alex is a wizard with his amps!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back