Liquid Gold - 2014
Feb 10, 2017 at 10:22 PM Post #556 of 808
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but when I run the mojo to the LAu should it be in line mode?

The line-out mode is nothing more than a volume preset to output 3Vrms. Nothing is fundamentally changed in this mode. Don't worry about double amping because the Mojo (and all Chord DACs) output from the DAC's line-out stage, there is no separate headphone amplifier built in. The volume is controlled digitally and Rob Watts assures everyone it is lossless.

Feb 10, 2017 at 10:31 PM Post #557 of 808

I got to hear it at RMAF last October and loved it! 

I was very interested in the Liquid Tungsten until I read it was a Single Ended only design. Not that I have anything against SE designs (in fact my main amp, the ALO Audio Studio Six, is another SE only tube amp) but I am mainly curious to hear how the Balanced Output would of my Yggdrasil would sound with a great balanced tube amp. I've read the Balanced output is significantly better than SE on the Yggdrasil but haven't had a chance to try it yet. Looks like a really interesting amp so far though, read nothing but great impressions on it too.

Feb 10, 2017 at 10:36 PM Post #558 of 808
Almost everything was at the MrSpeakers booth. I listened to Spark, Carbon, Glass, Gold, and Tungsten there. It was nice to be able to hear the variety of amplifiers, particularly when using Gold as a familiar reference point.

Would you be able to comment on the Tungsten vs Glass? Any idea what tubes tungsten uses?

Feb 10, 2017 at 10:36 PM Post #559 of 808

I was very interested in the Liquid Tungsten until I read it was a Single Ended only design. Not that I have anything against SE designs (in fact my main amp, the ALO Audio Studio Six, is another SE only tube amp) but I am mainly curious to hear how the Balanced Output would of my Yggdrasil would sound with a great balanced tube amp. I've read the Balanced output is significantly better than SE on the Yggdrasil but haven't had a chance to try it yet. Looks like a really interesting amp so far though, read nothing but great impressions on it too.

that is one of my gripes with some of the amplifiers i am looking at. SE is good but I do want the extra power of a balanced output. 

Feb 10, 2017 at 10:58 PM Post #560 of 808

that is one of my gripes with some of the amplifiers i am looking at. SE is good but I do want the extra power of a balanced output. 

Guys, there's nothing magical about balanced amps. It's just the design topology that the designer selected. I've heard many SE amps that are a good step up from balanced amps...no general rule of thumb here that I've ever noticed. Tube amps are typically SE and the Tungsten has plenty of power on tap. 

Feb 10, 2017 at 11:21 PM Post #561 of 808

Guys, there's nothing magical about balanced amps. It's just the design topology that the designer selected. I've heard many SE amps that are a good step up from balanced amps...no general rule of thumb here that I've ever noticed. Tube amps are typically SE and the Tungsten has plenty of power on tap. 

Like I said it's nothing against the amp, it's about the fact that the Balanced output of the Yggy is superior to it's own SE output, so therefore all things being equal the same amp will sound better when hooked up to my DAC via Balanced cables vs. SE ones.

Feb 10, 2017 at 11:33 PM Post #562 of 808

Like I said it's nothing against the amp, it's about the fact that the Balanced output of the Yggy is superior to it's own SE output, so therefore all things being equal the same amp will sound better when hooked up to my DAC via Balanced cables vs. SE ones.

Really? The outputs would depend on what you're plugging them into, no? 
redface.gif

Feb 10, 2017 at 11:37 PM Post #563 of 808

redface.gif

Not sure what you mean by that, but my point remains the same, the Yggy's SE output is inferior to the balanced output. So a balanced input for the amp would be preferrable, especially at $6000 for the Tungsten.

Feb 10, 2017 at 11:43 PM Post #564 of 808

redface.gif

Not sure what you mean by that, but my point remains the same, the Yggy's SE output is inferior to the balanced output. So a balanced input for the amp would be preferrable, especially at $6000 for the Tungsten.

The quality of the outputs depend on the amp that you're plugging them into. If you're plugging them into a balanced amplifier, then yes, the balanced outs should be better. But, not necessarily better if you plug the SE outputs into a better SE amp.

Feb 10, 2017 at 11:49 PM Post #565 of 808

The quality of the outputs depend on the amp that you're plugging them into. If you're plugging them into a balanced amplifier, then yes, the balanced outs should be better. But, not necessarily better if you plug the SE outputs into a better SE amp.

Exactly, which is why the Liquid Tungsten should be balanced in my opinion, particularly for the price they plan on charging.

Feb 10, 2017 at 11:59 PM Post #566 of 808

Exactly, which is why the Liquid Tungsten should be balanced in my opinion, particularly for the price they plan on charging.

I don't think you got what I was trying to get at. I don't believe that balanced inherently makes an amp better. Like most things in life, it depends.

Feb 11, 2017 at 12:01 AM Post #567 of 808
I haven't heard the Yggy's outputs to compare, but I've compared SE to Balanced from the GMB into the Liquid Carbon (uses the same phase splitter as the LAu so the amping is the same no matter the input) and you can hear the difference.  I wouldn't be surprised if the Yggy had the same issue, especially as people mentioned it when I commented on the GMB.

So I'm with Goldendarko as far as the GMB/Yggy SE output being audibly worse.  However, I don't understand the logic of avoiding a spectacular amp just because your DAC has issues.  I'd sooner sell the DAC and find one that performs well out of the SE.  For instance, I suspect the Hugo2 could give the Yggy a run for its money.  Anyways, YMMV etc etc.  Just think it's a weird line of reasoning... especially when you already have a serious SE amp.

Feb 11, 2017 at 12:04 AM Post #568 of 808
Here is my point and I'll stop here to keep this conversation from completely derailing

For $6000 dollars:

Yggdrasil --> Balanced Output --> Balanced Input --> Tungsten

would be preferrable than

Yggdrasil --> SE Output --> SE Input --> Tungsten

Feb 11, 2017 at 12:06 AM Post #569 of 808
I haven't heard the Yggy's outputs to compare, but I've compared SE to Balanced from the GMB into the Liquid Carbon (uses the same phase splitter as the LAu so the amping is the same no matter the input) and you can hear the difference.  I wouldn't be surprised if the Yggy had the same issue, especially as people mentioned it when I commented on the GMB.

I don't understand the logic of avoiding a spectacular amp just because your DAC has issues.  I'd sooner sell the DAC and find one that performs well out of the SE. .

Exactly why I kept the Studio Six, just would still prefer it was balanced all the way, same as i would prefer that with the Tungsten.

Feb 11, 2017 at 12:08 AM Post #570 of 808

I don't understand the logic of avoiding a spectacular amp just because your DAC has issues.  I'd sooner sell the DAC and find one that performs well out of the SE. .

Exactly why I kept the Studio Six, just would still prefer it was balanced all the way, same as i would prefer that with the Tungsten.

At one point I asked Alex about Balanced vs SE -- I asked him if the Crimson would be better balanced.  He said that yeah it might be like 10% better, but it would be literally twice as big and cost twice as much.  Balanced for the sake of being balanced doesn't always make sense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back