Linux users unite!
Aug 12, 2013 at 5:57 AM Post #166 of 481
The more I try out bspwm the more I realize it's probably the way I should be going. Switching from monsterwm to herbstluftwm has just become a pain, when all I've been doing can be easily done on a hybrid system (dynamic/manual). sxhkd looks sane, there's a boatload of functionality that, if I look closely enough, I'm probably going to end up using this time around.

It's like the author just knew what I needed and implemented it all beforehand, something that's fun to encounter within the FOSS world where people mostly make things for themselves.

Some of the client-based stuff is a little weird, and some of it's still new and rough around the edges. But xcb and the generally small binary size and SLOC is just icing on top (certainly not something to base your entire switch towards). 

When I get the time, I'll definitely make an attempt at a full-on switch, along with geany/LyX -> pure vim/nerdtree/extraplugins for my document processing and large project handling. The two semi-serious things I have lined up for the summer.

How could I have forgotten pictures? Here's a picture, there's a picture, they're not my pictures - credit goes to the guys on this thread https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=167531&p=3. But have a picture anyways!

Aug 26, 2013 at 12:09 PM Post #167 of 481
Another linux user here. Since 2005. I have used many distros in the past, Debian, Mageia, Slackware, Arch, OpenSuse, Mint, etc. Now I'm very happy with kubuntu 13 (kde 4.11). It is stable and fast. I use it on my home desktop (i7 4770 + HD7990 + Xonar STX) and on my netbook (atom 1.5GHz with 2gb). On both it work very well.

Deadbeef is the best music player for me. It can show flacs ripped on 1 big file splited into the track list.

I really like to see headfiers using linux and sharing about it.

good day,
manzana

Aug 26, 2013 at 7:07 PM Post #168 of 481
Quote:
Deadbeef is the best music player for me. It can show flacs ripped on 1 big file splited into the track list.

.cue support is on Audacious, mpd...well, pretty much most things these days. Deadbeef is a great player though. It doesn't butcher up pango rendering like some other gtk players so all of my characters look fine. You can't get fil-plugins or a bunch of ladspa stuff on, but one should be using jack if they really need to use the functionality. Also it pulls up barely any dependencies. Also it looks sleek as hell. Also the built-in GUI converter works great. Also the name is just great.

Heck even moc has cuesheet support. If I could only get a decent theme working...

Aug 26, 2013 at 8:27 PM Post #169 of 481
Also, stable for Elementary OS came out a week ago (or two weeks, I can't keep track). 
Only thing I can say is that they finally changed their website. 
I've grabbed the beta a couple of times to see what they've changed, and it's usually fairly positive. At least they're differentiating. Good grasp on design, great focus on aesthetics. Of course some one will come in and say that the interface is just a rip and that it's not for real work. Alright. I have no foot in the race. Say what you will.

Also, have tried to get framebuffer on netsurf. It works. It works quite well. Actually I might just not use X on the B142 anymore. That's how well it works. This machine is finally the blazing beast that it was meant to be. I think I'm more content with getting rid of some extra stuff now. Still want a Libretto and a Sony and an EEE Pc. I'm just too greedy. 

isync + notmuch + mutt + openmailbox. Great solution to mail. I'm also playing around with Evolution and Balsa since I have gtk3 installed for the moment. But I'll probably just keep with the current setup. 

st has a wayland port. I'm using mostly st anyways. Actually, come to think of it, apart from mpv, Virtualbox, sxiv, and Chrome/dwb...I can't think of much else I'm using with X.
Also bspwm considering Wayland port, monsterwm ported (dragonflywm), with some things I'm looking forward to. It's a great day to be stuck in *nix land. 
Now I just need to figure out which HDD I backed up the other other Inferno VM to...

Oh, and two cool projects I hadn't mentioned before - 
Void Linux - http://www.voidlinux.eu/
Bedrock Linux - http://bedrocklinux.org/

Aug 26, 2013 at 9:56 PM Post #171 of 481
smiley_thumb.gif
 Okay, TwinQY, you got me! My interest in learning Linux, Unix and/or any of the cousins have been rekindled. Nice to see proton007 over here as well! On my notebook, I still have Ubuntu, Lubuntu and Mint installed along side Win7. 

I only used these installs to play around with music servers. But never really done anything else with Linux. Especially compiling. I did find many of the things I'd want to use in a normal desktop environment on a day-to-day basis already dolled-up. Just download, Copy, Paste or whatever. No screening lines and lines in Terminal. 

Still.... I've some learning to do... a lot! 
biggrin.gif
 I need to rewipe the hdd anyway...

Aug 26, 2013 at 10:24 PM Post #172 of 481
Quote:
Never really found elementary OS appealing, I guess I'm one of those "this tries to hard to be like OSX" folks.

Posted from my Macbook.

elementary takes obvious cues from OSX. Yes. But elementary is a theme. The Granite stuff, and the individual apps, are pretty nifty and I like that they've mixed them into some sort of glorious app orgy. I tried wingpanel with nothing but XFCE. It's cool. Still had to install GNOME underneath it so I guess the point's sort of lost.

All I can say is thank god someone's doing some consistent design. The team's priorities might be a bit skewed though. Someone who tried to get into contact with them about stuff had some real horror stories coming out of it. But as long as they put out what I think is good stuff, I can't really judge them otherwise.

Quote:
smiley_thumb.gif
 Okay, TwinQY, you got me! My interest in learning Linux, Unix and/or any of the cousins have been rekindled. Nice to see proton007 over here as well! On my notebook, I still have Ubuntu, Lubuntu and Mint installed along side Win7. 

I only used these installs to play around with music servers. But never really done anything else with Linux. Especially compiling. I did find many of the things I'd want to use in a normal desktop environment on a day-to-day basis already dolled-up. Just download, Copy, Paste or whatever. No screening lines and lines in Terminal. 

Still.... I've some learning to do... a lot! 
biggrin.gif
 I need to rewipe the hdd anyway...

Why Ubuntu and Lubuntu? That's something I never got - why people had two of the same distros with different DEs installed side-by-side when they can just toggle during login. Yes the branding is different but really there's a Lubuntu-desktop metapackage. I never use it but it's there. Usually if you don't have gnome daemons starting up you'll hardly notice the fact that you have Unity underneath. And it if it did, it's not like Lubuntu's pure LXDE anyways - a ton of gnome stuff gets started underneath as well. And the stuff's fairly benign. But maybe I should just focus more on the fact that you're one of us...that's silently scary.

Unless you have some strange package you need to install, or if you need to purposefully enable and disable some features during compile time, you can just depend on binary packages on a normal distro. So don't worry about the compiling beast :D

Well, as long as the usage fits, you won't need to use the terminal. You might find it to be a more preferable tool if you do get to use it, but there's always the choice not to, depending on what you typically do. There's not really a way to learn something until one narrows down what it is that they want to learn.

If you just want to have fun and do wacky things, sure, grab a new distro. But the underlying things are pretty universal, and I mean that in a fairly broad sense,

Aug 26, 2013 at 10:34 PM Post #173 of 481
Have pure LXDE. Once I spent a few months (5?) evaluating the different installs from an audio angle, they all now continue to languish on the notebook. Spring Cleaning is in order... but in autumn. 
biggrin.gif

Even if I have no current use or focus for Terminal, learning to use it would be a benefit. One day, it might be the only thing I don't get locked out of!

Aug 26, 2013 at 10:46 PM Post #174 of 481
http://linux.voyage.hk/voyage-mpd has a real nice pre-configured setup, it seems. Will have to try it out sometime. Right now I have a real tiny musl-linked Exherbo running mpd. The funny thing is I'm avoiding moc because I can't get a nice visual theme...but I have a piece of hardware with a borked screen, but remote and spotless hardware otherwise. Doh! Headless.

Are ya silently using jack, whispering about your ALSA love, or loudly proclaiming your pulseaudio allegiances?

Well the first thing to do would be to install terminal. http://git.xfce.org/apps/xfce4-terminal/ Since this is the only thing aptly named Terminal :p
Honestly, people will link all sorts of guides to various Unix and bash commands. But I'm more for the school of hard knocks approach. Proactively try and set something up, and gradually you'll be forced to learn the syntax under duress. And of course you still have the guides available when you need them anyways. This works great for learning languages as well (it's how I learned Limbo this summer).

Aug 26, 2013 at 11:49 PM Post #175 of 481
I was exposed and tried all three. Especially when I'd read "And you don't want to use this one for audio. Be sure to download (blank)!" 
rolleyes.gif
 You know how it goes. I eventually parked my MPD server and went back to my sup'd up Mac mini. 

Money is tight but I may get another (new) mini or explore another server. Already put a modified Squeezebox Touch behind me. Didn't care for the presentation; user experience. I've an open mind, though. And never fully write things off, as life is dynamic or should be. It could have simply been where I was in life emotionally. If funds were available, perhaps I'd bring one in again. Maybe I revisit one of the Linux music servers. 

Aug 27, 2013 at 1:20 AM Post #176 of 481
I just realized moc. As in K-mok. I think that's reason enough.
Alright, it's only for local machines so it's less of a "server" unless you're ssh'ed. But the name...Asides from the name I've got no solution to your problem. Better apt-get/yum install/pacman -S/emerge/cave --superlongcomplicatedoptionwithcompletelyunintuitivename/apk install/tar -xvf && cd ./* && make install man-db. 

Man-db. The answer to all of life's questions. And it ain't 42.

Aug 30, 2013 at 8:43 PM Post #178 of 481
Anyone see this yet?

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1319058#p1319058
https://github.com/aaronlaursen/STUFFS

Dantalian is cool, but this is rather different. More like how KDE does it, but not jumping the gun. I'd have to try it to know if it's sane or not, but the latter two dependencies look weird. Goodness knows I rip out akondai and nepomuk on any of my KDE installs (you can do this on Ubuntu quite easily, if I recall - on Arch you'd have to install a dummy package, and on the *toos it's a "-" something USE flag, I can't recall) so it wouldn't make much of a difference. I acknowledge that they have been slowly improving it but they should really separate that function and relegate it to a testbed or something. It just seems weird for day-to-day at it's current state.

Speaking of which, you can get a really lightweight KDE install if you try hard enough. I'll show an example one day. A bit of a redundant stat, but ~350 base packages installed on Arch is not bad at all. Heck my full-on XFCE install barely knuckles under that. And heck my monsterwm install is slightly bigger than that.

Sep 2, 2013 at 11:14 PM Post #179 of 481
Quote:
Anyone see this yet?

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1319058#p1319058
https://github.com/aaronlaursen/STUFFS

Interesting. This could potentially speed up the file search, considering how fast forum searches are.

This reminds me. Stupid Catalyst drivers are holding back a system upgrade. 

Sep 5, 2013 at 12:09 AM Post #180 of 481
hello linux-fiers.
using ubuntu for a couple years.
love linux because of its architecture, but not so much the kernel concept. 
but it is a great deal for free true os.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back