Linux users unite!
Apr 23, 2015 at 12:08 PM Post #406 of 481
Holy crumps thanks dude, yeah it wasn't out when Skype first went pulse only, that's a lifesaver! :D

Apr 27, 2015 at 5:48 PM Post #407 of 481
Is there anyone that could possibly help me set up the Objective DAC/O2 Amp combo with ALSA. I cannot figure out how to configure it to play audio through the device without installing PulseAudio. I am an arch user, and I obviously tried using the wiki, but I cannot seem to get the device to actually play audio, despite being able to set it as the default device.

Apr 27, 2015 at 7:03 PM Post #408 of 481
Is there anyone that could possibly help me set up the Objective DAC/O2 Amp combo with ALSA. I cannot figure out how to configure it to play audio through the device without installing PulseAudio. I am an arch user, and I obviously tried using the wiki, but I cannot seem to get the device to actually play audio, despite being able to set it as the default device.
What's your distro, some do weird things to not let you set USB audio devices as default.

May 3, 2015 at 1:31 AM Post #411 of 481
1) Good to hear you got it working. Just out of curiosity, what was the problem?

2) Congrats on your new 'phones!

3) Good luck on finals (I'll be taking mine as well)!

May 3, 2015 at 12:32 PM Post #412 of 481
  1) Good to hear you got it working. Just out of curiosity, what was the problem?

2) Congrats on your new 'phones!

3) Good luck on finals (I'll be taking mine as well)!

It was a lack of understanding of the Alsa config syntax on my part. I ended up finding some example configs, and just adapted the settings for myself and it worked.
Thanks for the good luck, I wish you the same.
The Grados are magical!

May 10, 2015 at 3:36 AM Post #413 of 481
  Some window managers that I've been playing/planning to play with:
- Wind
- nullWM
- 2wm
- amiwm
- tritium
- wmx
- swm
- yawn
- Sawfish
- mantis-wm
- splitwm
- pwm
- DSWM
- mdtwm
- WeeWM
- foo-wm
- larswm
- Wumwum
- CLFSWM
- velox
- CTWM
- yeahwm
- antiwm

I have a crudload more of github-based project WMs stored in another text file somewhere that I've lost. I'll be sure to share that one as soon as I can.
If anyone has any suggestions as to what else I might be missing, do chime in. 
Although if it's anything generic/standard/classic/well-known-when-the-word-window-manager-comes-up, I've probably tried it before (blackbox, IceWM, JWM, all of the tilers, most legacy stuff). Really looking for obscure but interesting projects - you can see that a lot of the above are actually reimplementations of old, well-known projects.

I'm currently using a tweaked MATE. The tweaks are listed below:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Compositor: Compton.
Menus: MATE Main Menu and TopMenu global menus.
Task management: Plank dock.
Terminal: Guake.
Theme: A little grayish-schemed homebrew theme centered around a Clearlooks base with eOS window borders and Faenza-Cupertino icons.
Wallpaper: A charcoal played-in winter scene drawing I made a few months ago.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And here's a few screencaps of that DE in action.

Jun 25, 2015 at 11:43 PM Post #416 of 481
Recently ditched my MATE config for E, and got its configuration finalized. Theme in use is the default Dark ETK theme + the matching e-gtk-theme for GTK apps + Azenis icons. Ditched Guake for Terminology and I'm also trying Midori out for a browser for a while in place of FF. Wallpaper is a Mustang SVO photo I found on image search.

Jun 28, 2015 at 4:57 AM Post #417 of 481
  Recently ditched my MATE config for E, and got its configuration finalized. Theme in use is the default Dark ETK theme + the matching e-gtk-theme for GTK apps + Azenis icons. Ditched Guake for Terminology and I'm also trying Midori out for a browser for a while in place of FF. Wallpaper is a Mustang SVO photo I found on image search.

I do not intend offense or anything, but its completely possible that you may or may not already know, so just to be sure,  the 'E' you refer to is for Enlightenment, so what you are using would be Enlightenment 19. Nice desktop, by the way. Enlightenment 17 was actually the first interface that I ever used under Linux when I first tried it on failing hardware, and then later it was my "gateway drug" into minimalist  wm's like openbox which then led to a short bout with i3 and then to sweet sweet BSPWM, although at the moment I am playing with Gnome 3.16 for trying a new gtk 3 theme with some effects that only work with Gnome. I also tend to try and play with major releases of DEs that I care about or new interfaces that seem interesting. I did a ton of desktop hopping before I realized that I didn't really want the desktop XD. As an Arch user, you may find that true for yourself XD.

Sep 9, 2015 at 9:11 PM Post #418 of 481
Hello all, I'll weigh in with my setup. I'm running Archlinux with MPD as my server and NCMCPP as my client. All music stored on a NAS in FLAC format. Digital out to my Beresford Bushmaster Mk I DAC and Headphones amp to my Beyer DT 880s. Audio on Linux is pretty simple, not much to experiment with!

Sep 13, 2015 at 4:11 PM Post #419 of 481
The name is unfortunate, but pms is a nice mpd client, vim keybindings, filter by search string, etc. Nausea can provide visualization if one is into that sort of thing. Of course ncmpcpp can do all of that (and can be patched for vim keybindings) but pms keeps things a bit simpler. Segfaulting on my Arch box at the moment, so no screenshots, but runs well elsewhere.

Having said that, it's strictly cmus for me these days.

The one instance where I do run mpd I only use it to play by random album, so no client other than this script and mpc for playback control and track info.

Sep 13, 2015 at 4:29 PM Post #420 of 481
Some other Linux things of interest:

- A great series on kernel internals, very informative.

- Rofi, which is a really slick-looking dmenu alternative. Can pipe xcmenu to it, and there are nice scripts for pass and surfraw.

- True Color support on terminal emulators like st, which when combined with a patched tmux, supported programs like Neovim, and a proper colorscheme, results in some nice looking colors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back