Linux users unite!
Mar 3, 2014 at 7:37 AM Post #361 of 481

Easiest way is to plug in the dac and check if the volume settings show it.

Worst case just check the dmesg log.

Agreed, unlike Windows everything in Linux works just as well on the live CD/DVD used to install all the friendly distros as it does once it's installed.

Not sure a newbie will know what dmesg is though (if he were a Linux user he'd surely have tried it) and the command line is scary 
wink.gif

Mar 5, 2014 at 8:28 PM Post #362 of 481
  That is very cool, and worth keeping an eye on. I'm a big fan of sticking to framebuffer when possible, but often end up with a minimal X/ratpoison solution instead. Glad to see work like this being done.

I had gotten Slatekit downloaded afterwards, but never went and played with it. I might do so soon, thanks for reminding me.

Any thoughts on Ratpoison versus StumpWM? I  get that both serve their own purposes/niches at this point, but I'd love to know what an everyday Ratpoison user thinks of the Stump.

Mar 12, 2014 at 5:02 PM Post #363 of 481
Has anyone built Chromium against QtWebEngine, or is using the dev channel with Aura compiled in?

I'm particularly interested in the latter and if anyone has any first hand experiences to share, as I would not mind getting GTK2 and all of its crummy crum off some machines in particular where this is the only thing pulling GTK in. Sure I'd just be replacing a toolkit with another toolkit but I wouldn't mind too much when it comes to Aura, especially since it'd be bundled in the build.

But of course a part of me just wants to try it out for the sake of having fun with it. I think that's the important bit.

Mar 27, 2014 at 1:02 AM Post #364 of 481
https://github.com/jvvv/9wm-xcb

Cool to try out. I can't say I'm too familiar with 9wm, but certainly have tried out the stuff that came after it like larswm and wm2.

Apr 2, 2014 at 2:47 PM Post #365 of 481
I' m really not that new to Linux on my Nokia N900 but I'm new to the desktop PC versions.
What Linux distros would be perfect for someone that wants a lightweight OS with a nice UI?
I can't really seem to find any useful info around the net and I've been using Win7 for a lot of time.
I'm bored with it TBH, I need something better than that. It will have to be a dualboot then when I need to run some apps or games that aren't supported in Linux. And that's the biggest issue, do Adobe's programs work in Linux? I use Photoshop, InDesign and Illustrator.
I also want to use Fruity Loops Studio, Virtual DJ, Cinema 4D and some other programs. And what about MS Office?
Are there any good but free programs? I mainly need programs like Office and Powerpoint.
That's mostly it, I'm sorry if I'm boring but you all know some of this stuff in the back of your head probably.

Apr 16, 2014 at 4:13 PM Post #366 of 481
I' m really not that new to Linux on my Nokia N900 but I'm new to the desktop PC versions.
What Linux distros would be perfect for someone that wants a lightweight OS with a nice UI?
I can't really seem to find any useful info around the net and I've been using Win7 for a lot of time.
I'm bored with it TBH, I need something better than that. It will have to be a dualboot then when I need to run some apps or games that aren't supported in Linux. And that's the biggest issue, do Adobe's programs work in Linux? I use Photoshop, InDesign and Illustrator.
I also want to use Fruity Loops Studio, Virtual DJ, Cinema 4D and some other programs. And what about MS Office?
Are there any good but free programs? I mainly need programs like Office and Powerpoint.
That's mostly it, I'm sorry if I'm boring but you all know some of this stuff in the back of your head probably.

I think the best thing to do is get yourself a copy of unetbootin for windows (unetbootin.sourceforge.net) head on over to distrowatch.com download a few Livedisk ISOs, use unetbootin to make a bootable USB stick and have a play, see which distro likes your hardware.

The easiest way to dualboot I've found is buy another HDD if you have the space / tower case.

I'm a user of Kubuntu myself, and have been for 5 years or so, it's my primary OS.

For office software, I use LibreOffice (libreoffice.org) it serves my purposes well.

Image editing is handled by GIMP and darktable (darktable.org)

Music production is not something I have got involved with, but linux-sound.org might have what you are after.

Looking for an alternative to Cinema4D, blender (blender.org) has been suggested, the last rendering program I used was on my Amiga A1200 called LightWave 5.0 (God I'm old)

May 27, 2014 at 10:58 AM Post #367 of 481
Does anyone have the ODAC and run Linux as an OS? I run PCLinuxOS 64 and want to verify that the ODAC works and is recognized with the OS before purchasing.
thanks for any help

May 28, 2014 at 11:32 AM Post #369 of 481
I'm pretty mainstream. I use Ubuntu, and occasionally openSUSE and W7 (Win7 was acceptable, but Win8 is the Satan of all operating systems, it's almost as bad as W98) I also run a Debian server that doubles as my NAS drive. Either way though, I much prefer Linux now. Especially with Steam pushing Steam OS and Ubuntu, making Linux more game-able.

I'm currently changing all of my hostnames from characters in Star Wars to cities in the Johto region of Pokemon. 2nd Gen all the way, boi.

May 28, 2014 at 8:59 PM Post #370 of 481

Yes - it uses USB Audio Class 1 which is supported natively by Windows/OSX and any sane version of Linux :)

I guess PCLinuxOS is an insane version cuz it ignores my Maverick external DAC
mad.gif

May 28, 2014 at 10:49 PM Post #371 of 481
So how exactly does it ignore it? Are you running Pulse Audio or what? Does it not show up in your audio control panel or does it show up and not do anything when selected? Does it show up in dmesg when you plug it in?

May 29, 2014 at 10:19 AM Post #372 of 481
It seems not to do anything when I plug it into my computer. It connects by USB and I've tried having the computer on and connecting it and also having the DAC on and booting the computer and still nothing. If I play music it comes out of the internal speakers of the computer. Maybe it's me...I am relatively new to Linux. I thought it would "see" the DAC and perhaps load a driver or at least acknowledge that I connected it. Is Pulse Audio what I should be using? I was using Mint as an OS but switched to PCLinuxOS 64 on the advise of a friend. 

May 29, 2014 at 10:35 AM Post #374 of 481
  It seems not to do anything when I plug it into my computer. It connects by USB and I've tried having the computer on and connecting it and also having the DAC on and booting the computer and still nothing. If I play music it comes out of the internal speakers of the computer. Maybe it's me...I am relatively new to Linux. I thought it would "see" the DAC and perhaps load a driver or at least acknowledge that I connected it. Is Pulse Audio what I should be using? I was using Mint as an OS but switched to PCLinuxOS 64 on the advise of a friend. 

So is there an audio control panel somewhere you can get to? Often it's under the little speaker under Gnome but I have not clue where it is in PCLinuxOS.  The OS won't pop up some windows-like "now loading driver" dialog because in linux it's usually already in place and all it does is make the DAC one more audio device. In Ubuntu I have to go to the audio control panel and select my DAC as the output device and then it works. 

May 29, 2014 at 11:29 AM Post #375 of 481
OK you've given some good advise when I get home I am going to figure this out. Like I said it might be me, I am a Windows guy and just switched to Linux a couple months ago. I really like it BTW this is the first snag I've had and it is prob just me not knowing what I'm doing. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back