Linux users rally
Jun 5, 2009 at 7:09 PM Post #2 of 93
I run Fedora on my desktop. I've been tempted to switch to the latest Ubuntu, but I've been with Red Hat since 7.3 and, well, it just works.

I also run a MacBook with OS X and an iPhone.

Jun 5, 2009 at 7:12 PM Post #3 of 93
I'm a long-time linux user. I've tried many, many distros over the years, but my main migration looked something vaguely like this:

Red Hat -> LFS -> Debian -> Gentoo -> Ubuntu ->

Though, for the last 6 months or so, I've been absolutely thrilled with CrunchBang Linux 8.10.02, which is based on Ubuntu 8.10. I can't wait for the upcoming, Jaunty-based version.

CrunchBang Linux is almost exactly what I want from my linux desktop. It has a great package selection, and it (currently) includes LXDE for the desktop. LXDE uses Openbox for its window manager, which just so happens to be my all-time favorite window manager for its super flexible configurability and slim, FAST, anti-bloat approach.

Edit: Oh, It's still Gentoo on the server, though.

Jun 5, 2009 at 7:17 PM Post #4 of 93
*chants* Linux, Linux, Linux!

I'm currently dual-booting Ubuntu 9.04 x64 and Windows Vista x64 on my laptop. If it weren't for my need to play computer games, I'd use Ubuntu 100% of the time. But for now, I only boot it up when I need to show something via HDMI, or am using a shady wireless Internet connection.
tongue.gif

Jun 5, 2009 at 7:20 PM Post #6 of 93
Debian Lenny all over the Servers, Ubuntu Jaunty on the one workstation.

Started with Gentoo, moved to Debian and it stuck.

Jun 5, 2009 at 7:23 PM Post #7 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by thread /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Though, for the last 6 months or so, I've been absolutely thrilled with CrunchBang Linux 8.10.02, which is based on Ubuntu 8.10. I can't wait for the upcoming, Jaunty-based version.

Looks fun. Pulling the ISO now...

Jun 5, 2009 at 7:26 PM Post #8 of 93
Mostly straight-up debian.

Jun 5, 2009 at 7:32 PM Post #9 of 93
Anyone tried their iPhone/iPod work with Linux?

Does Linux distro have features of giving priority of sound device to specific programs only? for example, If I listen to music with foobar2000 and the output device is my M audio transit, other programs can't use my transit.

Jun 5, 2009 at 7:45 PM Post #10 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cankin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone tried their iPhone/iPod work with Linux?

Does Linux distro have features of giving priority of sound device to specific programs only? for example, If I listen to music with foobar2000 and the output device is my M audio transit, other programs can't use my transit.

Well, I use gtkpod to manage my g2 shuffle. Works ok.

As for the sound priority thing - You can configure amarok or gmplayer or vlc or whatever to use a specific sound device but not really the other way around.

Some devices have hardware mixing and some don't. The transit and other usb devices fall under "don't". In linux, just as under windows, there are ways to mix in software if you want to.

Jun 5, 2009 at 7:52 PM Post #12 of 93
Ubuntu 9.04 64-bit ; ubutnu 9.04 Server ; Archlinux ; some others

Users who are viewing this thread

Back