Linux sound card?
Mar 1, 2019 at 5:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

gimmeheadroom

Headphoneus Supremus
Can anybody recommend a good PCI soundcard for Linux. I want one with a microphone input. Thanks.

Mar 10, 2019 at 6:25 AM Post #2 of 6
I bought an ASUS XONAR DSX. It works, but Linux support (as usual) is bizarre to say the least. alsamixer labels for the various inputs and outputs don't match reality. It took me a half hour or so of screwing around to get it to work. This card does not have enough horsepower to drive my new MMX 300 2g headset very well. It's ok, just not great. The card was about 60 euro so I'm not thrilled with it. I have not tried other headphones with it.

Mar 14, 2019 at 11:18 PM Post #3 of 6
As you bought the DSX (PCI-E) card, we can assume you originally intended to buy a PCI-E card and not a PCI card.

The Xonar DSX headphone jack is more like a line-output jack (high impedance) and I guess kind of fakes it as a headphone jack.
The Beyer MMX is only 32-Ohms, to the DSX's high impedance (faked) headphone jack is going to drive the MMX in a "funny" way (not a nice funny).
I would try and talk you into returning the DSX and try to find a used Asus Xonar Essence STX card.
Or buy a headphone amplifier and connect it to the DSX.

Mar 16, 2019 at 4:24 PM Post #4 of 6
As you bought the DSX (PCI-E) card, we can assume you originally intended to buy a PCI-E card and not a PCI card.

The Xonar DSX headphone jack is more like a line-output jack (high impedance) and I guess kind of fakes it as a headphone jack.
The Beyer MMX is only 32-Ohms, to the DSX's high impedance (faked) headphone jack is going to drive the MMX in a "funny" way (not a nice funny).
I would try and talk you into returning the DSX and try to find a used Asus Xonar Essence STX card.
Or buy a headphone amplifier and connect it to the DSX.

It's a server with slots for both kinds of PCI cards, so I was not looking exclusively for PCI.

The selection over here is minimal, I had three ASUS cards to choose from, the others were even worse.

I have plenty of headphone amps, the problem I'm trying to solve is to have a good microphone input. Linux makes everything related to media harder but that is what I use for my main desktop.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2019 at 11:03 PM Post #5 of 6
It's a server with slots for both kinds of PCI cards, so I was not looking exclusively for PCI.
The selection over here is minimal, I had three ASUS cards to choose from, the others were even worse.
I have plenty of headphone amps, the problem I'm trying to solve is to have a good microphone input. Linux makes everything related to media harder but that is what I use for my main desktop.
Have you tried asking on a website forum dedicated to Linux (maybe ask that guy from Finland?)
Asus sound cards like the DSX, use the C-Media audio processors, so make do a search for "Linux C-Media".

Here is a low costing sound card, that comes with the newer C-Media CMI8828 audio processor (native PCI-E support).
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Syba-SD-PE...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Mar 17, 2019 at 3:55 AM Post #6 of 6
Have you tried asking on a website forum dedicated to Linux (maybe ask that guy from Finland?)
Asus sound cards like the DSX, use the C-Media audio processors, so make do a search for "Linux C-Media".

Here is a low costing sound card, that comes with the newer C-Media CMI8828 audio processor (native PCI-E support).
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Syba-SD-PEX63081-7-1-Surround-Sound-PCIe-Sound-Card-S-PDIF-In-Out-CM8828-Chip/232729411897?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

There seem to be audio forums and linux forums and never the twain shall meet. Thanks for the bay link :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back