Linux Souncard recommendations needed.
Jun 7, 2010 at 12:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

medex

New Head-Fier
I found this site while looking for a Linux soundcard.  I am building a new system without onboard audio and need a good pci or pci-e sound card for my system.  I'm not really sure of what works and what doesn't, in terms of Linux compatibility.  But I want the best sound for the cheapest price.  My max price is around $80, but the lower it is the better. 

Jun 7, 2010 at 12:50 AM Post #2 of 5
How about a DAC? anything PCM270* based USB DACs will be able to be recognized by the Linux kernel. There are plenty on eBay. If you're into DIY, you can always build a grubDAC or bantamDAC for around 30 bucks. 

Jun 7, 2010 at 11:15 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:
USB devices are usually pricier than comparable cards with the similar features.

This is true in a sense, but there's another side to it.  Sound cards usually have features you don't use/need, such as surround sound and EMI shielding, thus you spend money on things you don't need.

A cheap Xonar or uDAC would be my recommendation.  There was someone saying recently that the uDAC didn't work on linux, but I've seen it work there, along with posts like the below.  So an up to date OS would be recommended.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/456945/first-impressions-nuforce-udac-usb-dac-amp-with-line-out-and-s-pdif-out/705#post_6324462

Users who are viewing this thread

Back