Linux & BSD: LOOKING BEFORE I LEAP!
Jul 26, 2006 at 11:33 PM Post #62 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by Welly Wu
Guys:

I bought Michael Urban aandd Brian Ttiemann's SAMS FreeBSD 6 Unleashed book a few days ago and it include a free 45 day Safari Books Online offer which I have yet to take advantage of. I sttill prefer to gain knowledge by buying and reading books.

There are a few specific problems I am encountering:

1. My Toshiba Satellite 1405-S171 notebook PC keyboard is eechoing keys. It repeats several keys especially when I type very fast. I have used xorgconfig -textmode and switched to different keyboards, but to no avail. I even tried to "slow down" the key repeat settings in my xorg.conf file, but it does not solve the problem. I only experience this problem using the X.Org and either GNOME or KDE desktop environments. How do I solve this problem?

2. I invoked the command sudo sysinstall to add OpenOffice.Org-2.0.2, GIMP, and Alacarte along with ThunderBird. I also downloaded the diablo-java JDK and JRE free software from the SUN FreeBSD port web page. OpenOffice 2.0.2 claims that there is no JRE installed on my computer. Then, I can not seem to add the OOo and GIMP icons within either GNOME or KDE under the respective Applications or KDE "start" button. How do I solve these problems?

Thanks for your help!

My experience with this is from 5.2 about 18 months ago, so take this with a grain or pound of salt. This is on a Toshiba Sattelite M35 S359.

1. I forget exactly how I got rid of that problem, but I think there's a kernel setting to turn off the function keys and it's got nothing to do with X config. Or maybe it's in the bios.

2. You might need to actually build java for freebsd because of licensing--at least that was true back then. This is only for the java runtime. You could download the rest prebuilt.

I erased freebsd on Thanksgiving 2004 because I went away and wanted to play some games so I made two partitions, installed windows in one, and bought an external hard drive to make up the space. Never reinstalled bsd.

Jul 27, 2006 at 6:18 PM Post #63 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by pheonix991
Because Knoppix is mostly for a temp. setup, not a full time. Last time I checked, you couldn't install UT2K4.

Yes, it haves the reputation of linux presentation and temp. linux install. But it can do well for permanent install also. For gaming purpose I'll recommend knoppix-games clone though.

Jul 27, 2006 at 10:12 PM Post #64 of 68
Just out of curiosity, what boot loader does FreeBSD use? I installed Ubuntu Linux twice last night, and every time I restarted after installation, GRUB gave me a big "screw you" and refused to do anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back