Linux & BSD: LOOKING BEFORE I LEAP!
Feb 1, 2006 at 4:43 AM Post #31 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by Welly Wu
Who said I was going to pay for those two books?
very_evil_smiley.gif
BN has its secret advantages if you know the system.
very_evil_smiley.gif

I see your lips moving but I cant hear you...

Feb 1, 2006 at 4:51 AM Post #33 of 68
One more thing I hate about books is - before you finish them...they are outdated!!
mad.gif
LOL I need an "electronic" book that contacts the publisher for updates over the contract period that I subscribe for, automatically updates itself, notifies me of changes to pages i've already read...

Nice idea for a patent...there goes my chance to make gazillion dollars
rolleyes.gif

Feb 11, 2006 at 6:21 AM Post #35 of 68
your gonna love the openbsd ftp install, not to mention pf. what i have read so far leads me to belive you havin't used bash or csh so i'd reccomend picking up the linux command book up else you will spend hours wandering thru man pages, i started with one of those red hat bibles that came with the disks after like six months i was using debian, then openbsd. today i'd say play with a livecd and grab a linux for dummies book (no joke) or one of the distro spacific bibles, slack would be best for that real unix feel.

btw openbsd is ***.

Feb 11, 2006 at 6:28 AM Post #36 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
One more thing I hate about books is - before you finish them...they are outdated!!
mad.gif
LOL I need an "electronic" book that contacts the publisher for updates over the contract period that I subscribe for, automatically updates itself, notifies me of changes to pages i've already read...

Nice idea for a patent...there goes my chance to make gazillion dollars
rolleyes.gif

not quite like that but you should check out the o'rilley pdf subscription service sometime. me, i'm a long time member of a hacker forum (don't laugh
biggrin.gif
) so i got gig's of books out the @ss.

Feb 11, 2006 at 7:24 AM Post #37 of 68
Quote:

I installed FreeBSD on my third partition on my hard drive yesterday. It works, but I can not get beyond the terminal. How do I load up the graphical X interface and install / update the OS? Otherwise, I am pretty pleased with its fast performance and the fact that I now have installed Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP-2, cENTOS 4.2, and FreeBSD 6.0 on three 9.5GB partitionson my HDD in one day. Hah! I installed FreeBSD 6.0! Wohooo!

Have you looked at the FreeBSD handbook online? they have lots of information on common things. http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO.../x-config.html

Feb 21, 2006 at 6:06 AM Post #39 of 68
Pretty sure X is fairly standard across BSD/Linux. Can you post the Screen, Device, and InputDevice section of your xf86.conf/xorg.conf file? (you should be using Xorg, BTW. Unless you've got some weird hardware problem) Make sure to use the VB Code ("[ code ]" without spaces or quotation marks) style to maintain spacing.

Feb 21, 2006 at 6:39 AM Post #40 of 68
Quote:

I wasted the entire day off today from work at BN trying to get FreeBSD to work. I installed the OS twice from the start becase I borked things up beyond my comprehension. Then, I failed to get X to load up so I can have a nice GUI to work with. I kept reading the damn FreeBSD version 3 handbook, but I don't know what I am doing wrong.

I installed everything including the ports manager, but I still can't get a damn GUI up. How the hell do I get to that point? I tried the Xorg -configure and XFree86 -configure and the Xorgcfg and the XF86cfg and even Xorgconfig and Xf86config: nothing, nada, zip, flat, zero GUI. I am beginning to think that I am going to have to wait for FreeBSD 6.x Unleashed by SAMS to be published as a must have reference text because I learn so much better when I have a book in my lap as I try to frustrate myself for endless hours on end.

I am not going to give up on FreeBSD. But, I need help. I just need to figure out how to get the damn X GUI to load up and automatically boot up whenever I select FreeBSD 6.0 in cENTOS 4.2 GRUB. That's all I need help with. Damn it!

What error message(s) are you receiving?

Feb 28, 2006 at 5:44 AM Post #41 of 68
Quote:

how to get the damn X GUI to load up and automatically boot up

You might not want to do this because it can make repairing things really hard in some cases, especially if your video driver goes bad, which is often does if you have an nvidia card and use the much faster nvidia driver. Better to boot to a terminal, log in and type startx. To configure it...
$>man startx

Mar 23, 2006 at 3:27 PM Post #44 of 68
Quote:

I am getting more curious and very interested in BSD with reference to Linux. From casual reading, my crude understanding is that both BSD and Linux share the same heritage from UNIX, but they are both strikingly different from each other. The open source, free software philosophies do commingle, but the correctedness, security, and stability tilt in favor for the BSD variants - FreeBSD, OpenBSD, and NetBSD.

I know that there are few Linux users on this discussion forum. Even fewer BSD users seem to be among us. I want to be one of them.

I need to look before I leap. What distribution of Linux do you use? What variant of BSD do you also use? Can both be installed on the same HDD (for the sake of being on a tight budget)? How long have you used both operating systems together? What are your opinions? What do you like about Linux and BSD? What do you hate about Linux or BSD? Which one do you think has a better chance of survivability in the next several years? Which BSD variant has the most support for contemporary and modern hardware?

Can you recommend any good BSD introduction books that come with software?

I am going to subscribe to this thread with instant e-mail notification. I am very very serious about learning more about computers -- hardware and software -- and BSD seems to be the next logical step before I commit a few thousand dollars toward building my own custom desktop PC by Christmas 2006.

I got interested in BSD from reading the Linux and UNIX magazines at my workplace and the SECURITY of BSD which seems to be legendary. BSD is known for its stability and logical architecture as well and those qualities are highly interesting to me as well.

Please post replies to my thread. You may discuss whatever you want and you may even sidetrack it if you feel you have something to write. I am of an open mind on this issue. Thank you very much!

From my understanding (haven't read this whole thread), if you were to install BSD, you'de end up with the same GUI as you would in Linux, as they share the same ones (gnome, kde, etc.) The BASH shell may have some differences in commands, so you may want to pickup a book. If you were to use UNIX, or bsd, I'de suspect you'de be doing a lot more command line work in the command line interface (probably bash shell, could be one of the other ones though), so you'de want a book just on unix commands most likely. If your going to use it for home use, it'de be stupid imho not to use Linux. If your looking for a fun project, you could do a gentoo install and compile everything manually.

You should have a lot of driver problems probably, and I just read your past post, and it seems you do. What type of gpu are you using (i'll check the previous pages in a moment.) When I had my ati card, some distrobutions of Linux like ubuntu would not boot into the gui (gnome in example) without me loading vesa in the bash shell.

If I remember, O'reilly makes some killer Unix books. Therefore, if you plan many projects like this, and want to truley master UNIX and BSD, an Safari subscription would probably do you very well. (Safari is an online service by O'reilly where you can download PDF versions of O'reilly books and other publishers books, and have 6 books a month downloaded as an example, and 6 more the next month.)

Mar 23, 2006 at 6:54 PM Post #45 of 68
After what seemed like forever, I finally started dabbling with *nix again when I bought my new comp in December. My goal was to have a fully working *nix enviro that would in every single way, replace windows. I just recently succeeded by getting two programmes I desperately needed to run under wine/code weaver's cross over office.

I'm using Ubuntu (breezy/64bit) and I attempted a few others, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, Debian, Kubuntu and Ubuntu Dapper. Only Breezy installed near flawlessly. In fact, it really did install flawlessly given what it is supposed to do. I then upgraded to the Nvidia drivers so I could have the proper refresh rates, configured my mega button mouse and then went to work on getting the windows programmes installed. Except for viewing wmv9 and 10 files, I think I have everything I need to wholely depart from MS-land. I'm elated! That said, sticking with linux is still not a super easy life. For those who don't ticker, need a web browser, some email, maybe a word processor here and there, Ubuntu, maybe the new Suse and the new Fedora Core should be all perfectly fine release candidates. However, if one is even remotely close to being a power used, at least with K/Ubuntu, one is still somewhat confined without going on the compiling road to hell. For instance, K/Ubuntu in their stable Breezy release is stuck on Firefox 1.0.7. Not exactly cutting edge. One can go through some hoops to get the newer version to install, but it isn't necessarily fun. Upgrading to the unstable Dapper, means UNSTABLE! At least with the 64 bit kernels. Most programmes aren't compiled for 64 bit processors, so that sucks, and driver support not to mention programme conflict is just rampant in the unstable release. I had to reformat after just not wanting to invest anymore time getting into all that. I can again, understand why Debian takes a zillion years and a day to move from testing to stable. They want to be sure, 100000%. Particularly when dealing with enterprise level systems.

That said, if Ubuntu is likely the most user friendly, most efficient hardware detecting, funky fun distro around (maybe Suse 10 will match or surpass it...) then going BSD is gonna be a total killer on the other end of the useable release spectrum. *BSD OS' require a lot more work to get things just right. They don't have the massive community linux has and driver support is often lacking. It is quite stable and I used to use FreeBSD on a gateway but I've since just bought a nice all-in-one box router and now concentrate on my desktop for the *nix fun-loving-freedom-fighting-stick-it-to-the-man computing.

I wish you good luck Welly, but be prepared to compile compile compile!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back