Linnenberg spa1: a new contender in the sub-1k€ balanced discrete headamp market?
Dec 4, 2011 at 1:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

leeperry

Galvanically isolated his brain
Hi guys, I'm very happy with my "Stello Eximus DP1", it sounds truly amazing to my ears...but we all want moar moar moar, and I guess the next step for me would be to go balanced 
very_evil_smiley.gif

This listing on audiogon has raised my interest into trying a possibly even better sounding headamp: http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cl_sold.pl?preatran&1324341036
the Cavalli Liquid Fire (a $3250 dedicated headphone amp) sounds sufficiently better than the headphone output of the Eximus DP-1, such that I no longer want to give up the Cavalli and instead want to look for a cheaper DAC solution than the Eximus DP-1.

I'm from Team Source First, so I don't plan on giving up the DP1 magical sound anytime soon...and the "Cavalli Liquid Fire" is a bit too pricey, plus I really don't think that I'm a tube guy and I'm not even sure if it can run balanced(hopefully it can for the price ^^).

Anyway, after quite a lot of googling I've found this very promising sub-1k€ headamp: http://linnenberg-audio.de/html/spa1.html

It seems to be ticking all the boxes of what I'm seeking in a headamp:
yann39.gif
a stepped attenuator and a gain knob, both on the front panel
yann39.gif
a good PSU
yann39.gif
no cheapish utterly colored IC's like most(if not all?) of the competition in the same price range...I'm not paying 1K to listen to 5532's or BUF634's, TYVM.
yann39.gif
fully discrete with a short signal path
yann39.gif
I can try it for 2 weeks at the price of shipping costs, which I now have made a mandatory condition when buying audiophile gear...we all hear differently, and I only really trust what my ears tell me.
yann39.gif
1Ω headphones output impedance, so everything should sound equally sweet out of it
yann39.gif
it comes with both balanced and unbalanced output modules, so you can really A/B the supposedly substantial improvement balanced amping would provide
yann39.gif
a load impedance lower limit of 8Ω, so if I get the vintage ortho bug again they would run flawlessly as well

Any thoughts to share? I'm a complete noob when it comes to balanced phones, but this looks like the perfect unit to stanch my thirst for audio nirvana'ness
moldar.gif

All this said, I think we got a winner all the way and I'm this close to pull the trigger
bakk15.gif

Dec 4, 2011 at 4:39 PM Post #2 of 40
That looks pretty cool, I'm also considering a balanced amp. The only option I found in the ~1k range is the Violectric V181.

Where did you get the pricing info? Do you have any availability info?

Dec 4, 2011 at 5:16 PM Post #3 of 40
There's a price list available on their site, it also states an ETA of January 2012: http://linnenberg-audio.de/Pricelist_3.pdf

Yep, I've read about the Violectric V181 but it's using four $3 a pop BUF634 IC's, a cheap ALPS pot and you have to play around with very annoying DIP switches at the back of the unit if you wanna change the gain. The spa1 seems to be in a whole different ball park, but it also comes a tad pricier.

Dec 5, 2011 at 8:16 PM Post #5 of 40
Will do! I'll keep looking around a bit considering that it's not available for sale yet and that I'm in no way an impulsive buyer, but this looks like the real deal to me
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back