Linkin Park's "A Thousand Suns" - this decade's "Kid A/Amnesiac"?
Oct 9, 2010 at 9:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

hiddenninja

Head-Fier
So yesterday, I bought LP's newest album and listened to it all the way. My impressions are that it's quite good, if different from the band's usual efforts, and am fully aware of the controversy amongst their fans as to whether it's really that good or really bad. Then I realized there were probably some parallels to Radiohead's "Kid A" in terms of how different both of those albums were from before the bands' respective releases (or "Amnesiac". Take your pick).

I know it's probably too early to tell but...what do you guys think? Is "A Thousand Suns" the "Kid A" of this decade, or am I just talking out of my loony mind here?

Oct 9, 2010 at 10:01 PM Post #2 of 22
Personally, I've never really listened to Radiohead, but there's what I think...

Coming from Hybrid Theory, Reanimation, Meteora, completely skipping Minutes to Midnight (have not heard a song on it, was not interested) and then going straight to A Thousand Suns... I love it. 

Edit : However, I found this on LP's wikipedia (is this where you got your comparison?) :

"The album has been regarded as a turning point in the band's musical career by notable critics. James Montgomery, of MTV compared the record to Radiohead's Kid A.[88] Shinoda stated that he and the other band members were deeply influenced by Chuck D and Public Enemy, further elucidating "Public Enemy were very three-dimensional with their records because although they seemed political, there was a whole lot of other stuff going on in there too. It made me think how three-dimensional I wanted our record to be without imitating them of course, and show where we were at creatively".[78] The record further features a "Political Element" consisting notable speeches by American political figures.[89]"

Oct 9, 2010 at 10:07 PM Post #3 of 22
I stopped listening to Rock due to its 'generic-ness', but I guess the same applies to Pop too.
If this new album is something radically different from the previous Linkin Park generic rock, then I guess it could be worth listening to, if I find a listening post with this disc.

Oct 9, 2010 at 10:09 PM Post #4 of 22

Quote:
I stopped listening to Rock due to its 'generic-ness', but I guess the same applies to Pop too.
If this new album is something radically different from the previous Linkin Park generic rock, then I guess it could be worth listening to, if I find a listening post with this disc.

A lot more electronic and industrial this time around, imho. It grew on me fast, but I was not sold immediately after the first listen. Now I am
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 9, 2010 at 10:27 PM Post #6 of 22
Actually, I thought of the comparison before finding this quote from the Wiki. But yeah, it's something like that.

Quote:
Personally, I've never really listened to Radiohead, but there's what I think...

Coming from Hybrid Theory, Reanimation, Meteora, completely skipping Minutes to Midnight (have not heard a song on it, was not interested) and then going straight to A Thousand Suns... I love it. 

Edit : However, I found this on LP's wikipedia (is this where you got your comparison?) :

"The album has been regarded as a turning point in the band's musical career by notable critics. James Montgomery, of MTV compared the record to Radiohead's Kid A.[88] Shinoda stated that he and the other band members were deeply influenced by Chuck D and Public Enemy, further elucidating "Public Enemy were very three-dimensional with their records because although they seemed political, there was a whole lot of other stuff going on in there too. It made me think how three-dimensional I wanted our record to be without imitating them of course, and show where we were at creatively".[78] The record further features a "Political Element" consisting notable speeches by American political figures.[89]"

Oct 9, 2010 at 10:29 PM Post #7 of 22

Quote:

It is. In fact, it's so radically different it split the current fanbase in half, even more so than Minutes to Midnight did.

Oct 9, 2010 at 10:33 PM Post #9 of 22
Thank god I wasn't drinking milk when I read the title of this thread.  Kid A is known by many (I believe RYM included) as being the best album of the 2000's.  I thought that was what you meant about this album in this decade -- which is preposterous.  
After actually reading the content of your post, here's my breakdown:
Having not listened to Linkin Park since Hybrid Theory, I really can't say I know their catalogue.  For all I know, it could be radically different from the rest of their work.  But I don't think it's comparable to Radiohead's work with the Kid A/Amnesiac sessions.  Firstly, if you watch the Meeting People is Easy documentary, as well as the Airbag//How Am I Driving EP, (released two and three years before Kid A) You can see they had been shifting in that direction for a while.  The main difference in Kid A was that there really wasn't anything mainstream radio friendly, which was shocking considering that a multi platinum artist who sold out arenas resisted commercialization and put out something more esoteric, which could potentially alienate their fan base at the time.
If this is significantly better than Linkin Park's output over the last decade, then it may be worth trying.   

Oct 9, 2010 at 10:50 PM Post #10 of 22
What I meant by the Kid A comparisons is that Kid A had very, very mixed reviews at first, but became regarded as one of the best albums of the 2000's with time. A Thousand Suns has similarly mixed reviews, with people both loving it and hating it, and I sort of foresee a similar reaction in several years' time (might be one of the best albums of the 2010's).

Like I said, it's probably too early to say, but I'm still wondering about it.

Oct 9, 2010 at 11:07 PM Post #11 of 22
So your comparing the media's reaction to Kid A, not the quality? Because as I've said in my other post, Radiohead and Linkin Park as far as quality...well that's an easy choice.

But that's my opinion and everyone is entitled to their own, who am I to judge what you like?

Oct 9, 2010 at 11:07 PM Post #12 of 22
hmmm I remember Q magazine giving it a lukewarm review at the time but then again they were pining for "stuff that sounded more like creep" (paraphrase) so they can be discounted as a reliable source.  Other than them I remember Kid A getting glowing reviews even in 2000.  I think many critics pander Linkin Park in general (in my opinion rightfully so.)  If their opinions change over time, well hindsight is never 20/20, as nostalgia tends to cloud people's vision...

Edit but obviously this is my opinion and who am I to judge etc.  Another thing that always bugged me was that all the people I know who love linkin park are top 40 people who have little experience with most music.  I always thought they liked it A) because it was so accessible to people who aren't musically inclined, and B) because they'd just never heard quality music.  End rant again who am I to judge etc.

Oct 9, 2010 at 11:25 PM Post #13 of 22

Quote:
So your comparing the media's reaction to Kid A, not the quality? Because as I've said in my other post, Radiohead and Linkin Park as far as quality...well that's an easy choice.

But that's my opinion and everyone is entitled to their own, who am I to judge what you like?

Not just media reaction. Fan reaction as well.

Oct 9, 2010 at 11:31 PM Post #14 of 22
True, true. Well I guess we'll just have to see lol I'm gonna give the album a listen though, just because you brought it up and I'm kinda bored tonight. Any songs you recommend?

Oct 9, 2010 at 11:39 PM Post #15 of 22
Since this is kind of a concept album, I'd say the whole thing.

Although in terms of individual songs, I'd say "When They Come For Me" and "Wretches and Kings", then some of the singles like "Burning in the skies", "Waiting for the End", and "The Catalyst". But really, try sampling the whole thing first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back