Linearossa W3 vs. ibasso D10 vs. toslink portables
Dec 4, 2009 at 12:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

RockinCannoisseur

500+ Head-Fier
These are the only two portable dacs i could find which have optical toslink, coaxial and usb. which has the best components and which is most quiet through its dac. also what other small portables have toslink optical input?
which has the most power?
TallyHo!

Dec 4, 2009 at 12:15 PM Post #2 of 13
I don't think you will get any comparisons for a while as linearossa W3 has just been announced and so far no one has heard it afaik, hence no review or comment about it in head-fi.

it does look awfully (suspiciously?) similar to D10 from the outside in the photos..

Dec 4, 2009 at 12:48 PM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by RockinCannoisseur /img/forum/go_quote.gif
iBasso

Linearoos W3

well i think the linearrosa is made in italy and the ibasso is made in china?

no, linearosa is designed in italy...I think there is a thread on linearossa that mentioned it was built in Singapore.

so far the difference is that ibasso internals are well known and the specs are out on their site and here in head-fi.
as for linearossa, no information is given yet, apart from the pictures of outside and functions..

However, you could be the first one to review and let us know how they sound
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 5, 2009 at 6:53 AM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by LevA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
no, linearosa is designed in italy...I think there is a thread on linearossa that mentioned it was built in Singapore.

so far the difference is that ibasso internals are well known and the specs are out on their site and here in head-fi.
as for linearossa, no information is given yet, apart from the pictures of outside and functions..

However, you could be the first one to review and let us know how they sound
smily_headphones1.gif

yea it probably is made in singapore just owned in italy, i dont know for sure

i havent tried the d10 so my impressions would be limited as that is the only other portable with toslink input i could find unlees someone knows of any others'

maybe i could send one to a d10 expert for professional analysis
qusp are u listening

Dec 5, 2009 at 7:20 AM Post #6 of 13
looks like you have two options..either the D10 or the W3 if you definitely want optical in your portable..if you are willing to trade portability to transportable then you can go the StyleAudio DAC/AMP TOPAZ route. however, it needs to be powered by its AC Adaptor (wall mount so no batteries). the size is similar to D10 I think, if a little larger. can do a search on the site here for reviews..

if you are willing to wait a couple of months (and who does in this hobby?) you could wait for the D10+ as supposedly ibasso will release an improved D10 version down the line. how soon? that's anyone's guess..

Dec 5, 2009 at 7:57 AM Post #7 of 13
check out this link http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f38/govibe-family-431868/

the 3 govibe vulcan amps may be what you're looking for. Govibe are sorta unknown internationally, but in singapore, they're extremely popular, due to its price/performance ratio. i've heard that the govibe vulcan mini is one of the most popular, because its small, its an amp+ dac and and optical, coaxial and usb and of course because it sounds good.

for more info, try going to the jaben forum and look around.

Dec 5, 2009 at 4:34 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by LevA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
looks like you have two options..either the D10 or the W3 if you definitely want optical in your portable..if you are willing to trade portability to transportable then you can go the StyleAudio DAC/AMP TOPAZ route. however, it needs to be powered by its AC Adaptor (wall mount so no batteries). the size is similar to D10 I think, if a little larger. can do a search on the site here for reviews..

if you are willing to wait a couple of months (and who does in this hobby?) you could wait for the D10+ as supposedly ibasso will release an improved D10 version down the line. how soon? that's anyone's guess..

nice improved 1010 d10 that sounds sweet. wonder if the topaz has more power than the d10?? that topaz looks nice. but only if it has more power than the d10 anyone?

im still very curious of the linearrossa w3

Dec 5, 2009 at 4:39 PM Post #9 of 13
check out the review thread of topaz, or do a search and go through them. there might be a comment by owner of a D10 and how they compare.
I assume it might be the case since topaz has to be run by the AC. but don't hold me on that.

Dec 5, 2009 at 4:45 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by xuan87 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
check out this link http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f38/govibe-family-431868/

the 3 govibe vulcan amps may be what you're looking for. Govibe are sorta unknown internationally, but in singapore, they're extremely popular, due to its price/performance ratio. i've heard that the govibe vulcan mini is one of the most popular, because its small, its an amp+ dac and and optical, coaxial and usb and of course because it sounds good.

for more info, try going to the jaben forum and look around.

nice thankyou, looks like anohter cool prodeuct form singapore, i am really liking the look of the vulcan models, with their coaxial and tolink input as weel as usb.

do you know if their are any differences, besides size between the vulcacn and the vulcan mini? and how do those compare to the vulcan vb which is the most expensive

thanks again, its nice to havae another option out there,, that brings it to 3 portable dacs with toslink coaxial and usb input!

TallyHo!

Dec 5, 2009 at 4:51 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by RockinCannoisseur /img/forum/go_quote.gif
nice thankyou, looks like anohter cool prodeuct form singapore, i am really liking the look of the vulcan models, with their coaxial and tolink input as weel as usb.

do you know if their are any differences, besides size between the vulcacn and the vulcan mini? and how do those compare to the vulcan vb which is the most expensive

thanks again, its nice to havae another option out there,, that brings it to 3 portable dacs with toslink coaxial and usb input!

TallyHo!

yeah until you go nuts about which to buy and start loose sleep..
wink.gif

but a good portable amp does wonders to your listening enjoyment. so good luck and enjoy once you decide and it arrives
beerchug.gif

****EDIT***
I just checked your profile and you seem to already have the D10!. so just looking for an upgrade?
oh, well it seems inevitable the longer you stay in this forum..
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 5, 2009 at 8:01 PM Post #12 of 13
hey thanks, yea itotally cant decide at all, d10 lists all there parts and the other donot so now im leaning toward the d10 to replace my current dac, but ive also liked the carat topaz, its apparently more powerful, but id be using it for a preamp dac so that would really matter,, and i dont think that it has toslink passthrough

i actually have the predator, and i had ordered d10 bu they canceld last moment, i have alot of gear i havent yet listed, and i actually sold my w3

does upgrading the d10 op amps make a significant difference?

is there a 2010 d10 medel in the works?

do u know if the new light peak cables by ntel schedule for relsease in 2010-11 could be used in a portable amps usb? i want to be the first person with a light peak interconnect with my dap! Light OPeak is going to be boss!

Feb 3, 2010 at 8:25 PM Post #13 of 13
GoVibe Vulcan VB > iBasso D10 SQ-wise

Users who are viewing this thread

Back