Limited edition / serial number craze....
Apr 9, 2006 at 10:08 PM Post #16 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by viator122
Why else would you make a limited edition except as a cash grab? For the life of me I can't think of a good reason for Audio-Technica to make a limited edition version of the A900. If the improvements are real, and it seems from review here that they are, why stop making them? The only thing I can think of is that sales are slow on the A900, so you tweak them, crank up the price, call them A900LTD and move a whole bunch really quickly. There might not be enough room in their lineup for another headphone on a permanent basis, but they can still make a quick buck. Now I'm not trying to say this is an evil or predatory practice, I'm just saying manufacturers aren't stupid; they understand supply and demand quite well.

concur

Apr 9, 2006 at 10:16 PM Post #17 of 28
Since I can't try out anything before buying, what's the difference between buying something no one's heard and something a few people have heard? Every single headphone I've bought based on head-fier recommendations has sounded very different than I expected based on its descriptions, so I figure it's a crapshoot either way. Buying the new headfive to match my HF-1s not only appeals to my OCD tendencies, but is also very practical. First of all, I'm very encouraged by the reviews of the HA-1 and of course the price. Plus, a lot of very experienced members will be getting it/talking about it/comparing it to other amps, so if I don't like it I figure I can at least use it a benchmark in trying to find an amp with a soundsignature that I do like. It'll probably have a great resale value so I might as well try.

Apr 9, 2006 at 10:21 PM Post #18 of 28
Limited edition or not, being geographically isolated from all the major markets means if I want to hear a headphone, I will have to purchase it.

I must confess I have a soft spot for the ATH-W series headphones, and unfortunately about half of the line was/is of limited production. When I had a chance to purchase/collect/audition the entire line, I often recommend fellow Head-fier to go with the non-limited production models simply because they represent better value, but the same time I feel the most of the limited production has features to justify the higher pricetag.

Apr 9, 2006 at 10:26 PM Post #19 of 28
Pinkie: Oh, well - you've surely got a certain point there. On the other hand, I'm quite used to buying audio equipment unheard and unseen, just out of curiosity. Reviews can only help to a certain degree, anyway - so in my case (going for a Headfive), I really don't care whether anyone except Jan Meier has heard that thingy or not. In addition, I already own several Cordas, so I believe that I know fairly well what I can exspect.

And do I go for the Headfive, 'cause it's a limited edition item? No - but I was already considering another priceworthy headphone amp anyway - and then the Headfive offer popped up, which will probably fare very well in terms of price/performance. So that just came in handy. That I can have it with my serial number of choice and that it even includes a nice little donation to Head-Fi are additional boni, but not of high importance for me.

On the other hand, I didn't go for the HF-1 despite all the craze, 'cause I've already got a priceworthy Grado in the US quite a while ago and found that I'm not really a Grado fan (nevertheless, I'd probably buy an RS-2, 'cause I liked its sound on audition - but only if it was available new for ~ 300 - 350 Euro over here). Hence, all in all, I'd claim that something being a limited edition item per se leaves me rather untouched - there has to be more to it to stir my interest.

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Apr 9, 2006 at 10:31 PM Post #20 of 28
Alright, I've bought the HF-1 and the Headfive. Didn't match the serial numbers, though.

1. The HF-1. I wanted to try a pair of Grados with mahogany cups. The HF-1 was (and still is) a lot more reasonable than the RS-2 or RS-1. Seemed like a good choice to me, and I would have bought them at this price point whether they were limited editions or not.

2. The Headfive. As it happens, I'll be losing some of my equipment soon. No, nothing bad, my uncle wanted a headphone setup, and so did my brother-in-law. They're going to get them. The Headfive looks perfect for the nightstand, the price was right, and I got one.

Also, it's partially because Dr. Meier was kind enough to give away free PCBs a couple months ago. I got some for the Cross-I, and felt that it was a very generous thing to do. I probably would have built another amp, but the price is fair on the Headfive and thought he deserved the business.

And hey, in my opinion, both of these offer good value for the dollar. What's so wrong with someone producing something good at a fair cost? Isn't that what everyone wants?

Apr 9, 2006 at 11:19 PM Post #21 of 28
I don't have a craze, really, just more of a thing for fun. It seems like the Headfive will be a good value (like the HF-1 I missed out on), and it's something that helps the community. That's the "craze" for me, if there is one.

Apr 9, 2006 at 11:51 PM Post #22 of 28
I've got a serial number for ya':

[size=small]Two[/size],[size=medium] Four[/size],[size=large] Six[/size],[size=x-large] 0[/size],[size=xx-large] OOOOOOONNEE!!!!!![/size]

Apr 10, 2006 at 12:03 AM Post #23 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by enjoi_rootbeer
Well things like the HF-1's and now the Cordafive are sold and reasonable prices. rather then spending 600$+ for RS-1, you can (or could've) gotten a pair of HF-1's and have almost the same sound for a third of the price. same goes with the Cordafive. If there was a limited edition Senn like the Orpheus only for Head-fi sold at a very reasonable price, i think everyone would just go insane.

have you actually heard the RS-1 and the HF-1 and compared the two?

Apr 10, 2006 at 12:06 AM Post #24 of 28
Numbering is classic marketing trick that's worked for ages. It's all about manipulating supply and demand. As long as people think that a number makes something more valuable, it will be.

Apr 10, 2006 at 1:43 AM Post #25 of 28
Perhaps we are a wealthy society without direction, so we spend money frivolously
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 10, 2006 at 2:08 AM Post #26 of 28
I can speak to the HF1...

I was NOT the LEAST bit interested, Till' I saw that it was a mere $200. This is / WAS unprecedented in the audio, music and sound reproduction markets.

If Fender made a limited edition guitar ~400 total and Leo (if he were still alive) hand signed and numbered each... Theyd be several thousands at least.

Usually limited edition models are overpriced and mostly marketing hype. Not the HF1, its WAY under priced and really does represent a good value.

Garrett

Apr 10, 2006 at 2:14 AM Post #27 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
I can speak to the HF1...

I was NOT the LEAST bit interested, Till' I saw that it was a mere $200. This is / WAS unprecedented in the audio, music and sound reproduction markets.

If Fender made a limited edition guitar ~400 total and Leo (if he were still alive) hand signed and numbered each... Theyd be several thousands at least.

Usually limited edition models are overpriced and mostly marketing hype. Not the HF1, its WAY under priced and really does represent a good value.

Garrett

very true, the woodied HF-1 is an extreemly good performer; I remember trying out several at the saratog meet and perfering them over the PS-1
eek.gif
and even the regular HF-1 sounded awsome.
sadly the price has ballooned on those
frown.gif

Apr 10, 2006 at 10:08 AM Post #28 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by DieInAFire
have you actually heard the RS-1 and the HF-1 and compared the two?

alright...that was actually a mistake. i didn't mean to write the "same sound" cause really it isn't. it has been compared in previous threads though

Users who are viewing this thread

Back