Lime Ears Aether - Ciem Flagship - discussion, review, and impressions thread
Dec 7, 2016 at 11:14 AM Post #152 of 266
I agree on both counts. Mid and treble could be more. I'm a fan of Hifiman myself, so nobody can ever accuse me of not liking treble.

But even to me treble quality is a far, far rarer trait than quantity, and the Aether's treble positive qualities go on and on. Speed. Detail. Naturalness of tone. Ability to resolve complex passages. Clarity. Smoothness. Check check check check check check!

Dec 7, 2016 at 12:02 PM Post #153 of 266
I agree on both counts. Mid and treble could be more. I'm a fan of Hifiman myself, so nobody can ever accuse me of not liking treble.

But even to me treble quality is a far, far rarer trait than quantity, and the Aether's treble positive qualities go on and on. Speed. Detail. Naturalness of tone. Ability to resolve complex passages. Clarity. Smoothness. Check check check check check check!

Looking like a top 3 contender....

Dec 7, 2016 at 12:50 PM Post #154 of 266
  Awesome, great to hear that! :)

Yeah, that is why few months ago we have changed sockets to the ones with "high extraction force", they are more robust and handle extensive cable switching with unmatched patience :).

Well, I'm planning to do some CanJamming in Singapore in March, meanwhile I'll probably hang around here a little bit :).

Lol, we're all waiting! :]
But you know, shootouts are like wine, the longer they mature, the better they taste in the end! :wink:
And abt the treble... Well, I sometimes think so! (but my opinion might be biased a bit for pretty obvious reasons) ;]

Well, hmmm... How to put that... Let's say that I believe that we have some "bright" future ahead, lol. But still don't know how far ahead...

Exciting, exciting, exciting... ;D

Couldn't agree more, which is why I've had no qualms with the Aether and the CustomArt H8.2 as my daily drivers!

Dec 8, 2016 at 11:10 AM Post #156 of 266
@Tiddlesworth If it'll be natural evolution of Aether with very similar "hardware" base we will, definitely. I really don't think that anybody should pay for the same thing twice.
But, time will tell if this evolution won't end up with slight revolution. Still it's thing of the future… :)

@jelt2359, @Deezel177 Well, these were the aesthetics I've been looking for. It's hard to do direct comparisons but there is this "thing" about treble in professional tape devices (which are used in great majority of recordings, either directly or at least their digital simulation of some sort). This kind of marriage of resolution and smoothness, saturation and clarity.
I'm glad you like it. :)
Oh, and now I'm waiting for the shootout even more! :)

@DWbirdseye Don't have too much court experience (apart from watching Ally Mcbeal years ago… :wink: ) but it seems to me like "or what" addition made it pretty much an open question! :wink:

Dec 8, 2016 at 4:11 PM Post #158 of 266
I had Aether demo for few days and I was really impressed with tonal balance, full and detailed sound. It's tuned (as Emil said) like classic high end speaker system with bass boost switch that gives just right amount of power to handle EDM or rap songs. Treble is natural but quite sparkly, giving good sense of clarity without being bright. If you like Technics speakers sound you will love Aether. 

Dec 9, 2016 at 10:58 AM Post #159 of 266
@DWbirdseye Yeah, I noticed. :) I was kidding as well. If it wasn't clear, blame it on my (sometimes) odd sense of humor. :)
Like this gentleman sang years ago: "I'm just a soul whose intentions are good...". :)

Jan 31, 2017 at 1:20 AM Post #161 of 266

LIME EARS - US CIEM Demo Tour

For those in the US that would like to hear the Aether and the rest of the lineup, I am having a tour starting this month. Just follow the instructions in this thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/833886/lime-ears-us-ciem-demo-lineup-tour-le2-le3sw-and-aether-starting-february-2017

Feb 4, 2017 at 11:57 AM Post #163 of 266
  Has anyone had a chance yet to compare these against NT6-pros? 

They are both wonderful TOTL CIEMs but different in signature and I would be happy to own both for different moods. The pros are more transparent while the Aether is more euphonic in signature. Both have a wonderful punch and dynamics and resolution.

I would warn you though that Hidition customer service is in question right now and i am not very happy with them. I would rather work with a more reputable dealer like Emil unless you live in Korea with direct access. But even then.....

Feb 15, 2017 at 10:52 PM Post #164 of 266
Hi. I have SE846 for more than a year and very like its signature (with that great bass impact). I'm prefer blue filter (balance sound) all the time. Might buy other iem as a second iem but dont want to miss SE846 signature too much. Now my option are Lime Ears Aether (universal) and JH Audio Roxanne (universal). Which one do u think will give me an upgraded sound compares to SE846? Thanks

Feb 16, 2017 at 1:07 AM Post #165 of 266
Hi. I have SE846 for more than a year and very like its signature (with that great bass impact). I'm prefer blue filter (balance sound) all the time. Might buy other iem as a second iem but dont want to miss SE846 signature too much. Now my option are Lime Ears Aether (universal) and JH Audio Roxanne (universal). Which one do u think will give me an upgraded sound compares to SE846? Thanks

Based on my limited experience with the SE846, I understand it has significantly rolled off highs, and a robust, yet rumbly bass. I think the Roxanne's signature will fit this profile better than the Aether (despite its tendency to sound sibilant with poorly recorded/mastered tracks). The Aether to the SE846 is a clear upgrade with a more transparent midrange, and a cleaner and sparklier treble, which allows it to have more clarity and resolution than the SE846. It's a matter of preference: if you want a better SE846, go for the Roxanne. If you want a better IEM, go for the Aether.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back