Lime Ears Aether - Ciem Flagship - discussion, review, and impressions thread
Apr 26, 2016 at 8:26 AM Post #62 of 266
Thanks for replying.

May I also inquire, in your experience, did swapping to a non.stock cable -- if you did do so -- lead to improvements in clarity?

Apr 26, 2016 at 8:48 AM Post #63 of 266
My Aether has arrived. Those who own it, did you subject it to burn in before using it for normal playback?

Yes of course, use proper burn in tracks to maximise its performance. 

As for cables, interestingly the stock cable pairs very well with the Aethers, more so than with other monitors, but a cable like the Effect Audio Leonidas or the Plussound Tri-Metal will make your Aethers absolutely sing...

Apr 26, 2016 at 10:07 AM Post #64 of 266
Thanks for replying.

May I also inquire, in your experience, did swapping to a non.stock cable -- if you did do so -- lead to improvements in clarity?

I've tried a number of cables with the Aether and I've found that the plussound X-series (X6 or X8; can't remember) offered the greatest improvement in clarity. However, I found the cable "cleans" up the sound so much, and emphasises the upper mids, such that IMO the Aether loses some of the body and fullness that makes it sound so magical.

I find the plussound Echo+ to offer the best balance between clarity improvement, a more impactful sub-bass punch, and price. So far though, my favourite cable to pair with the Aether (that I can afford *flips bird at Leonidas*) is the Effect Audio Ares II (Note: Haven't heard the II+ yet). It adds some clarity (not as much as the Echo+), a significant boost in separation, a powerful sub-bass punch/rumble, and a rich, sumptuous midrange.

Apr 27, 2016 at 12:14 PM Post #67 of 266
What are the soundstage/imaging performance of these compared to the Spiral Ears SE-5 Ultimate?

Apr 27, 2016 at 6:08 PM Post #69 of 266
Never heard SE5 Ultimate, but it is SIGNIFICANTLY bigger than my SE5.

Hello MrButchi, yeah it was from your review that convinced me to consider it, if nothing sways me in 3 months I'll probably get it. You mentioned you were a Soundstage whore and you described what i was looking for in a CIEM, and the bass switch is just the icing on the cake. I know that CIEMs can't compete with full size open backs in terms of width but imaging and airiness was what I was looking for. There are so many CIEM choices and it was really hard finding one with the sound signature and airiness I want <.> 

I think I found the one.

Apr 27, 2016 at 8:15 PM Post #70 of 266

Apr 28, 2016 at 6:50 AM Post #71 of 266

Never heard SE5 Ultimate, but it is SIGNIFICANTLY bigger than my SE5.

Hello MrButchi, yeah it was from your review that convinced me to consider it, if nothing sways me in 3 months I'll probably get it. You mentioned you were a Soundstage whore and you described what i was looking for in a CIEM, and the bass switch is just the icing on the cake. I know that CIEMs can't compete with full size open backs in terms of width but imaging and airiness was what I was looking for. There are so many CIEM choices and it was really hard finding one with the sound signature and airiness I want <.> 

I think I found the one.

Well thanks for the nice comments. I hope you won't be disappointed.
In all fairness, unless you're in a crazy hurry, I would wait for H8.2 to come out if I were you. It's only two months away, and who knows how Piotr will surprise us ?

Apr 28, 2016 at 7:54 AM Post #72 of 266
  Well thanks for the nice comments. I hope you won't be disappointed.
In all fairness, unless you're in a crazy hurry, I would wait for H8.2 to come out if I were you. It's only two months away, and who knows how Piotr will surprise us ?

Yeah I was looking at that too, now I need comparisons for both <.> I'm in no hurry to get one so it should be alright.

Apr 28, 2016 at 7:58 AM Post #73 of 266
  Yeah I was looking at that too, now I need comparisons for both <.> I'm in no hurry to get one so it should be alright.

I already committed to the 8.2 so welcome to ask for my impressions in July.
popcorn.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back