Like Metal, but don't like the cookie monster death vocals? ...Have you listened to Opeth?
Jun 12, 2012 at 12:58 AM Post #46 of 57
Quote:
In the Let's Talk Metal thread, someone mentioned The Deadstation. They have a free album out on bandcamp.com. They kind of sound like Dream Theater mixed with TesseracT to me.

WHUT?
To me they sound like The Mars Volta decided to use blast beats, and be less creative.
They remind me of TesseracT or DT at all> O.o

Jun 12, 2012 at 9:46 AM Post #47 of 57
Quote:
WHUT?
To me they sound like The Mars Volta decided to use blast beats, and be less creative.
They remind me of TesseracT or DT at all> O.o

DOUBLE WHUT?
Mars Volta would be the last thing that comes to mind when I listen to these guys.  I think its pretty neat how people relate to music.  Each and every one us of hears something different and it triggers different things for each us.

Jun 12, 2012 at 10:15 PM Post #50 of 57
Quote:
Are you guys confusing Dead Station with The Deadstation?

Both are on Bandcamp, and Dead Station usually pops up first with a Google search.

Yes. Yes I am.

Jun 15, 2012 at 3:54 AM Post #51 of 57
Quote:
I don't like the growly metal either. For the most part I don't like vocals with metal at all, it rarely works for me. That's why I listen to instrumental metal:

^ Reminds me of Animals As Leaders.

Quote:
Voices are probably the instrument that people are most picky about tone wise, and yes, there are plenty of bands with awful atonal growling and screaming, but there are plenty of metal bands with vocalists who have good tone, ranges, and can make growling understandable.  People who say 'I like metal, but I hate (screaming, shouting, yelling, other word for noise) just haven't stopped to listen to any decent vocalists, and have heard one or 2 awful Deathcore bands or Black Metal bands and decided it's the root of all evil...

That is to say, the people I've met at least.
Of course, I refuse to listen to music with awful vocals, because they can ruin music so easily.

^ This is a great post!

I have to admit one band I have troubles with is Cradle of Filth. Their intros are so operatic and epic and amazing... and then the vocals come and and I'm like "aw :'("

Jun 15, 2012 at 4:05 AM Post #52 of 57
Also I wanna say real quick thanks for everyone's posts and especially links to songs/bands. I haven't taken the time to scour through it all in succession but there's a lot of good stuff here for my ears to discover :)  Post a thread encouraging people to check out a new band, and find new stuff to listen to yourself? Check.

Jun 19, 2012 at 2:03 AM Post #53 of 57
Make sure you listen to that:

Jun 19, 2012 at 7:14 AM Post #54 of 57
Quote:
^ Reminds me of Animals As Leaders.

^ This is a great post!

I have to admit one band I have troubles with is Cradle of Filth. Their intros are so operatic and epic and amazing... and then the vocals come and and I'm like "aw :'("

For the defense of CoF and Dani Filths singing, in certain songs his voice can be great (singing in From Cradle To Enslave is IMHO very good from start to end). Not to mention I havent heard anyone else pull the eerie "banshee scream" so well, though there may be electronic enhancements involved. (and I heard that nowadays he has lost quite a bit of that voice. Shame) But otherwise yeah, people calls his singing as cat being raped for a good reason.

Jul 10, 2012 at 6:54 PM Post #55 of 57
May be out to lunch here, but how about Garbage?
Shirley Manson doesn't sound like the Cookie Monster!

GarbageNotYourKindOfPeople600Gb270412.jpg

Feb 26, 2013 at 7:59 PM Post #57 of 57
There's an unsigned band in Pittsburgh called Chaibaba whose music is too smart for the masses, but fkn awesome for those who appreciate truly creative real music! Mostly instrumental prog-heavy-indie-metal. Look for them on Allmusic.com, Facebook and YouTube, and by their first CD, "Slow Brewed". You'll be glad you did.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back