Like K701, HD 558, SR60, KC35 need recommendation for new portable
Jan 13, 2013 at 10:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

fateicon

100+ Head-Fier
I recently got a tablet and have a need for a portable headphone. I had previously used my KSC35 with a discman. That one is really good for what it is, but I don't find it to be as good with the tablet. I plugged the tablet into a Best Buy magnolia display a couple months back and tried everything. The HD 558 was really good. I thought it was almost rivaling my home setup of Arcam 73/K701/Heed Canamp. Those wooden Audio technicas were so-so with it, found those new expensive Denons not to be a good fit, and the K501 to sound thin, bassless, and dismal directly into the tablet. The SR60 w/flats came off pretty good, but one of the cables going into the driver broke. I can hold it together and get sound, but it needs a real repair. Even then, the HD 558 just blows it away. I would get the 558 now, but it leaks too much sound for me to use it on planes and whatnot. Most recently I plugged in a new pair of Audio Technica WS55 and didn't like it. The bass quantity is lacking, but you get a boomy kick drum sound. Treble is harsh. Sounds like there's a veil over the music to a degree. Even if some things changed with use, the comfort of the WS55 is lacking for me. I think I like stuff with bigger pads. Also own a DT 990 600 ohm, RS-1, HF-2, and while I like them, I only ever really use the K701. I'm just curious what headphones people here would recommend. When I say portable, I don't mean small necessarily. I used a Sony MDRV600 for years. I read about the Superlux hd668B and that sounded promising. 

Jan 19, 2013 at 11:27 PM Post #2 of 2
Neither a tablet or the Sennheiser HD 558 or the AKG K701 are portable but the SR-60i are portable but are open backed so they will leak sound and no isolation but there are the V-Moda crossfades or the ATH M50s if you wanna be more of a mainstream person now i guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back