like, but don't love denon ahd2000
Feb 22, 2012 at 6:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

mac336

500+ Head-Fier
got denon ah-d2000 two days ago.  I like them for electronic type music, instrumentals and such, but anything with lyrics I feel like the vocals arent as pronounced as they should be.  sound kind of stuck in the background (slightly).  I feel as though the bass and high treble can drown out the rest of the music during certain parts.  I have been listening to loseless quality files, no amp, on a 5 year old laptop with a cheap soundblaster sound card?   anyway I'm starting to think these headphones aren't for me.  I have fiddled with equalizer, but just cant get it to sound esxactly how I want. Anyone have any advice on what I can to to maybe improve these to how I like, or am I better off returning them and going after a different pair of headphones?  I am open to suggestions, anything below $500. 

Feb 22, 2012 at 6:39 PM Post #2 of 16
Sennheiser HD 600 or AKG K701 for analytical pleasure.

If you do not mind a bit colored sound with (more pronounced bass that the HPs above although not muddy or fatiguing), including excellent mids than HD 650 is very good option in this price range.

Feb 22, 2012 at 6:40 PM Post #3 of 16
Given your laptop computer based audio delivery system, I have to wonder why you moved into the $300 or so headphone turf.  What did you use before? 

My estimate is that you should be looking in the $75 to $100 +/- range--especially without an amp.

Feb 22, 2012 at 6:48 PM Post #4 of 16

Quote:
Given your laptop computer based audio delivery system, I have to wonder why you moved into the $300 or so headphone turf.  What did you use before? 

My estimate is that you should be looking in the $75 to $100 +/- range--especially without an amp.

because i was in need of a new headphone and wanted to invest in one good pair.  I figured i could upgrade audio source later

Quote:
Sennheiser HD 600 or AKG K701 for analytical pleasure.

If you do not mind a bit colored sound with (more pronounced bass that the HPs above although not muddy or fatiguing), including excellent mids than HD 650 is very good option in this price range.

So your recommending the HD650 above all in this price range?

Feb 22, 2012 at 6:52 PM Post #5 of 16
Oh, KG Jag is right. I was just thinking of the headphones but now I see that you do not have a headphone AMP. Please do not consider buying the HPs that I recommended without buying an AMP as well. Sorry.

Feb 22, 2012 at 8:15 PM Post #6 of 16

It doesn't seem like a soundcard issue rather than the sound signature of the d2000. You could be more into neutral sound with better mids.

My advise is to audition Sony ZX700 at Best Buy and see if that is what you are missing in vocals. If you like them, don't buy them. Go online and find a better deal (BB is a ripoff!).

Also, if you like the sony, you might be better off with Brainwavz HM5. They are praised here by many head-fier and they are nice with vocals, easy to drive, comfortable and cheap.

You can also take your denon to someone (or audio store) with a better setup and test them. If they sound as you like, then you should consider buying a little dac/amp like fiio e10 or e7.

Feb 23, 2012 at 12:39 AM Post #7 of 16
listened to them quite a bit today.  they are growing on me, love them for instrumentals and softer songs.  I find that vocals and mids take a back seat when listening to in rap/ hard rock

Feb 23, 2012 at 1:15 AM Post #8 of 16
I have a D5000. To bring out the mids more, I've been using a TDA1543x4 NOS DAC. I think you can get one for around $60 on ebay. It has a colored sound that tames the treble energy of the source, and it seems to have a lower mid hump while still maintaining the same amount of bass. The DAC has a pretty good reputation; there's a pretty concise thread on it here somewhere. (Optional): To bring out the mids even more I paired the DAC with a warm tube amp. It ended up to be pretty good for jazz and slower songs with vocals, but other head-fiers thought it sounded too 'slow' to keep pace with fast music with that configuration. Mainly I use the D5000 for mixing, gaming and watching movies though, not for casual listening.

Feb 23, 2012 at 1:17 AM Post #10 of 16
I had some D2000 and found the treble too much and the mids too recessed.... Good for electronic music definately but too fatiguing for me... Swapped them for some Sennheiser HD650 and much prefer them.

Feb 23, 2012 at 1:45 AM Post #11 of 16
you're right that vocals seem to be just slightly stuck in the background. it's one of the reasons I use the Brainwavz HM5 when I need to "feel" those vocals.
but lately, i've discovered that two fiio e5's chained with bass boost on the one connected to the source brings the mids out. and for some strange reason hasn't really colored the original sound coming from the denons. just more mids and obviously a "tad" more bass.

if i could find closed headphones with the bass/highs of denons and mids of HM5 in the <300 range. i'd be happy. till then. saving up for audeze

Feb 23, 2012 at 4:11 PM Post #13 of 16

Quote:
I had some D2000 and found the treble too much and the mids too recessed.... Good for electronic music definately but too fatiguing for me... Swapped them for some Sennheiser HD650 and much prefer them.

I listened to the denons for 30 mins straight yesterday, only around 30-40% volume then entire time.  Never had it to what i would consider loud, but after taking them off, my ears were slightly ringing for the next hour and it felt as though i had been in my car with the volume turned up for a while.  Is this what you mean by when you say they are fatiguing? 

Anyway thats another thing i didnt like about them, maybe i have sensitive ears, but I feel like using them will give me hearing loss.  I'm assuming an open pair of headphones like the hd650s would be less intense on the ears?

Is there any genre that you dont like the senn hd 650 for or would prefer the d2000 for, or are the senn's better on every level (except bass)

Feb 23, 2012 at 5:04 PM Post #14 of 16

Quote:

I'm in a similar situation as the OP. I want to get the most sound as possible out of my laptop. I will be getting a D5000 or D7000 very soon.

My question is very simple. What do I need to connect the laptop to the headphones to get good sound. Fiio E17? Is that enough or are there other components I'm missing?

Laptop > ? > Headphones.

Thanks in advance.

Feb 23, 2012 at 5:47 PM Post #15 of 16
The fiio e17 seems to be a good match for the denon's. They really don't need much to be driven. I found that a dac/amp does give the mids an extra kick though. I bought an asus stx sound card and am very happy with how my d2000's sound with this combo...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back