Lightweight, Dynamic, Open Back Recs?
Sep 5, 2020 at 12:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Mhog55

Headphoneus Supremus
Suggestions for a full size, light weight, dynamic driver open back can... Aside from Sennheiser. For reference, my favorite open back I own is the 58X. No recessed mids - I like some weight and forwardness here, but nothing overbearing. A little extra low end is nice, so long as it's not loose and flabby. Preferably quick and punchy. I like my upper mids and treble a bit extended with some sparkle, but rolled off before any sibilance sets in. Full sounding - nothing thin. Some warmth is nice - nothing overly dark or distant. Hard rock and hair metal will mostly be played through these. Nothing super power hungry, and something that plays nice with lesser quality recordings. A few steps up the ladder in overall performance compared to the 58X. A little more spacious sounding is also something I desire. I'm okay with planars, so long as the headphone isn't crazy heavy. My budget would be between 6 and 7 hundred.

Sep 5, 2020 at 10:23 AM Post #2 of 9
I really enjoy the ATH-R70X. With your budget I'd be looking farther up the range. The "dual wing" headband is extremely light and comfortable.

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2020 at 2:34 PM Post #3 of 9
What about DT1990s?

Sep 5, 2020 at 3:23 PM Post #5 of 9
Definitely considering these. A little concerned about the treble. Can these be ran balanced? If so, are balanced cables readily available, or would I need to go custom?

Unfortunately they only have a 3 pin XLR on one side. customcans.co.uk does a balanced conversions and then you can use a normal 4 pin XLR cable.

I never heard the DT1990s but I got a pair of DT1770s recently and they're pretty even tempered.

Sep 5, 2020 at 3:53 PM Post #6 of 9
Definitely considering these. A little concerned about the treble. Can these be ran balanced? If so, are balanced cables readily available, or would I need to go custom?

I know you didn't ask about the R70X, but they can be run balanced with an aftermarket cable.

Sep 5, 2020 at 4:12 PM Post #7 of 9
I know you didn't ask about the R70X, but they can be run balanced with an aftermarket cable.

Wow! Interesting set of cans but it looks like they need some serious amping.

Sep 5, 2020 at 4:25 PM Post #9 of 9
Wow! Interesting set of cans but it looks like they need some serious amping.

They are /not/ easy to drive, it's true.

Thankfully both my amps can handle it. The Little Dot MK2 has to be turned up higher than I'd like depending on the song, but the Schiit Jotunheim 2 is up to task run balanced.

How about the 1000X? Either way, I'm definitely not after a reference sound.

Not sure about the 1000X, but yeah, if you don't want flat the R70X is not the way to go. I'm not familiar with the 1/2000X curve, you'll have to do your own research there.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back