Lightning quick internet.
Jul 21, 2007 at 4:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Blitzula

Headphoneus Supremus
http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/07/20/s....ap/index.html

I remember the 56K days, it's what kept me off the web for a long time. It's nice to see the faster speeds offered by cable and DSL today.

However, it's going to be really great to see the speeds in the article reached someday in the mass market. How cool would that be? I so hate waiting for downloads and pages to load....especially the latter.

My web-based newspapers problem could be solved! That's the best part.

Jul 21, 2007 at 4:48 PM Post #3 of 17
Ok that was already posted...

and to clarify (AGAIN), the speed is in gigaBITS, to make it look faster. If you convert it to gigaBYTES, the unit of size we are all used to, it comes to 5GB/s. Still very fast though.

However even if you have a gigabit ethernet connection ... it will be a HUGE bottleneck, only supporting a max speed of 128MB/s. And most people don't even have gigabit ethernet, they have 100 megabit which has a max speed of 12.5MB/s.

Faster alternatives to gigabit ethernet are EXTREMELY expensive.

Jul 21, 2007 at 5:32 PM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

His mother isn't exactly making the most of her high-speed connection. She only uses it to read Web-based newspapers.

Now, that's just darn funny.

Jul 21, 2007 at 6:52 PM Post #6 of 17
A connection that fast is only going to be useful if you have something to serve you content that fast. It's probably pointless for anything short of media or disk images. You could do things like nightly offsite hard drive backups over your net connection with no problem. But mostly you would need either a huge server or a peer to peer architecture to take advantage of that speed, and big enough data to make use of it.

I have 8MBit Comcast cable which spikes up to 20MBit at times, and it's honestly quite rare that I say "This is too slow, I wish it was faster!" It has to be over about 150 megabytes before I actually feel like I'm "waiting" for something, so I could see a really fat pipe like that being useful for uncompressed audio or video I guess, but I dunno what else. Maybe buying games on demand.

Jul 21, 2007 at 7:04 PM Post #7 of 17
The 20mb/s spike in comcast is powerboost, the first 20 seconds of a download it goes up to 30mb/s I think. rather pointless for p2p and server hosting.

Ditch comcast asap dude. Search google for "comcast sandvine", you will see why.

Jul 21, 2007 at 7:13 PM Post #8 of 17
Wow! 40Gbps, thats insane fast.
I have access to a pretty fast connection, which is nothing compared this hers.
tongue.gif

Jul 21, 2007 at 7:38 PM Post #9 of 17
I paid $42 for 3Mbps/752kbps service, but about 100kbps download is what I typically got. I occasionally got 300kbps when I got lucky. They said the advertised speed is theoritical speed, and YMMV.
Feel like a rip off. Sick and tired about their HI-SPEED INTERNET ad. That's less than 1/10th of high speed they talking about.

I wonder how much the lady in the article paid for what she got.

Jul 21, 2007 at 8:07 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Seaside /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I paid $42 for 3Mbps/752kbps service, but about 100kbps download is what I typically got. I occasionally got 300kbps when I got lucky. They said the advertised speed is theoritical speed, and YMMV.
Feel like a rip off. Sick and tired about their HI-SPEED INTERNET ad. That's less than 1/10th of high speed they talking about.

I wonder how much the lady in the article paid for what she got.

That's normal. You have a 3 MegaBIT connection, while your download speeds are in megaBYTEs. There are 8 bits in a byte. The servers you're downloading from are probably why you usally only see around 100.

BTW, did anyone see the recent report on broadband penetration that said the avg. speed in Japan is around 60Mb, and in South Korea it's around 45. The avg in the US is 2. Of course this is partially because of population density.

Jul 21, 2007 at 8:10 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 20mb/s spike in comcast is powerboost, the first 20 seconds of a download it goes up to 30mb/s I think. rather pointless for p2p and server hosting.

Ditch comcast asap dude. Search google for "comcast sandvine", you will see why.

I don't have any need to host a server right now and I don't do any p2p at the moment besides Blizzard's updater and the occasional ISO or open source torrent.

Comcast is a bunch of bastards to be sure, but my only alternative is slow DSL. FIOS is in my area but not available to my home yet. Even though I don't like Comcast as a company and think their customer service is terrible, the internet connection I get is currently fine for my needs, and frequently much faster than the advertised speed, even after the "powerboost" is done. I wouldn't mind more upstream bandwidth, but you can never have enough of that.

Jul 21, 2007 at 8:29 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elec /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Even though I don't like Comcast as a company and think their customer service is terrible, the internet connection I get is currently fine for my needs, and frequently much faster than the advertised speed, even after the "powerboost" is done. I wouldn't mind more upstream bandwidth, but you can never have enough of that.

Wow....frequently much faster than advertised speed?
Sound like comcast in arlington area is way better than cox in fairfax.
I will most definitely switch to FIOS for $29 instead of $42 cox, if that is available in my area.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back