Lighter headphones in the 100-200 dollar range
Jul 28, 2009 at 5:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

riot507

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys,
Long time since I've posted but I'm looking for headphones for a friend and he's looking for some headphones in the 100-200 dollar range. I lent him my denon d2000s and he feels that they're a bit too heavy but he likes the way they sound. He says he listens to anything with a beat and he doesn't mind leakage. He really liked my coworkers RS1s (but who doesnt? =)) which probably means that they're not too big for him. Currently he probably doesn't want to invest in an amp which may change in the future if he gets sucked like most of the head-fiers! Any advice would be great.
Thanks,
Anthony

Jul 28, 2009 at 5:32 PM Post #2 of 13
ES7
smily_headphones1.gif

Buy em @ Buydig.com refurb'ed for $55. That is, if they're available

Jul 28, 2009 at 10:01 PM Post #4 of 13
Thanks for the recs so far guys. The ES7s look beautiful! He's still demoing my d2000s and he said that he likes the highs and the mids but the lows are a bit muddy.

Jul 29, 2009 at 12:11 AM Post #8 of 13
I also recommend HD238. Featherweight. They have decent bass so if your friend likes Denon style bassy sound, he'll like it for sure.

Jul 29, 2009 at 2:28 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Graphicism /img/forum/go_quote.gif
JVC HA-RX700 ~ Light, comfortable and sound almost identical to the D2000s... best of all they cost $34

I actually found the RX700 to be large, heavy and cumbersome.

Aug 11, 2009 at 6:53 PM Post #12 of 13
My friends going to get the hd238s like you guys suggested but he's not sure if he should get the open ones or the closed. Do the open ones leak a lot? If they do, is it worth it?
Edit: I forgot to mention he has px100s that he loves and he was wondering if the 238s is a big step up.

Thanks again!

Aug 12, 2009 at 4:21 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by riot507 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...he's not sure if he should get the open ones or the closed.

Strictly speaking, the HD 238 only comes in one variety: open. However, I think you must be referring to the HD 238's closed sister phones, the HD 218 and HD 228.

As far as the HD 218, which represents the bottom of the pile among the three, I haven't read as many reviews on them as I have on the other two, but it seems that it's well worth the marginal jump in price to go for the HD 228 instead.

One thing I've heard from Head-Fi members regarding the HD 228 is that they are a little fussy about placement on the ears, but when you find the optimal position they sound pretty good for a closed phone of their price.

However, if isolation and leakage aren't a big deal to your friend, he might be wise to spring for the top of the pack, which is the slightly pricier HD 238. Reviewers say that the difference in sound quality is big enough that it's worth the few extra bucks. I've also heard they actually don't leak all that much for an open can. As long as he's listening at reasonable levels, my guess is he won't have too much of a problem in that regard.

Try doing a Head-Fi search for a more detailed analysis of these phones.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back