Light Harmonic Geek Out EM/1000 Impressions Thread
Nov 16, 2015 at 7:19 AM Post #2,206 of 2,322
I cant seem to find the difference between the LH control panel buffer settings anywhere. What is the difference between safe, reliable, minimum latency, low latency etc... any specific info on this anywhere?

Nov 18, 2015 at 6:36 PM Post #2,207 of 2,322
does any one know where i can download the geek out 1000 v1 firmware?
i just upgrade it to v1.5 and didnt like it as much as V1

any help with link will be great, i've been searching the whole site and could not find anything besides v1.5 firmware

Dec 1, 2015 at 10:01 AM Post #2,209 of 2,322
I have a Geek Out Special Edition (V1), really like the sound, often find it puzzling in terms of functionality. I use it with JRiver 21 (or Ponoplayer 20, a spin off), could never get the darn thing set up so that I could bypass it and listen to speakers. Off and on, it has a problem if it is disconnected, or has to read a file it doesn't like. I get an error message that it can't play the file, fine. After that, though, it continues to give me the same error for any music-it stops working for anything. I try closing JRiver and reopening, generally doesn't help. Sometimes it helps to reboot the computer, which is a pain, but last night even after a reboot, I got the same error. I have it selected to LH Labs ASCII, I believe (not home right now). It seems to me I lost some options for LH labs device selection, ASCII is the only one there. Any suggestions?

Dec 1, 2015 at 11:14 AM Post #2,210 of 2,322
I have a Geek Out Special Edition (V1), really like the sound, often find it puzzling in terms of functionality. I use it with JRiver 21 (or Ponoplayer 20, a spin off), could never get the darn thing set up so that I could bypass it and listen to speakers. Off and on, it has a problem if it is disconnected, or has to read a file it doesn't like. I get an error message that it can't play the file, fine. After that, though, it continues to give me the same error for any music-it stops working for anything. I try closing JRiver and reopening, generally doesn't help. Sometimes it helps to reboot the computer, which is a pain, but last night even after a reboot, I got the same error. I have it selected to LH Labs ASCII, I believe (not home right now). It seems to me I lost some options for LH labs device selection, ASCII is the only one there. Any suggestions?

Did you mean ASIO? ASCII, American Standard Code for Information Interchange, is a numerical representation of a character set.

Dec 1, 2015 at 12:19 PM Post #2,211 of 2,322
Plead brain lock, yes, ASIO. Sorry...:xf_eek:

Dec 1, 2015 at 2:28 PM Post #2,212 of 2,322
JRiver config?

This is usually the case if i don't configure my JRiver Properly...

Usual faults:

1. Bitstreaming not checked (DSD)
2. Misconfigure on output encoding (Mine I set to 2xDSD in DoP, assuming i have checked bitstreaming - above)

Dec 1, 2015 at 2:30 PM Post #2,213 of 2,322
JRiver config?

This is usually the case if i don't configure my JRiver Properly...

Usual faults:

1. Bitstreaming not checked (DSD)
2. Misconfigure on output encoding (Mine I set to 2xDSD in DoP, assuming i have checked bitstreaming - above)

Thanks so much, I'll check that when I get home tonight.

Dec 1, 2015 at 10:45 PM Post #2,214 of 2,322
Well, tried those settings, no success, still no sound out of the Geek Out (can't figure out how to get any sound out of the PC at this point, tried the Microsoft sound tool, didn't help, getting a bit crazy about this...)

May have to pay Kaspersky for their PC rescue, or go to the Geek Squad or something like that with the PC, don't know what else to do...:frowning2:

Dec 2, 2015 at 3:41 AM Post #2,215 of 2,322
Sorry Doc, let me help you better..

I assume you have Windoze?

1. Is/Are the led lights on GO on or off?
IF NOT: Remove and reinsert to establish power/handshake. Or Change USB port.

Possible causes: Problem with USB port, could not establish power/handshake

2. Go to windows control panel. Under Sound, check if its the default device. Check it as default if not.
Sometimes I don't hear GO becuase the system has changed its default.

Go to its properties -> advanced tab and test for sound.

If no Geek Out -> hardware problem maybe GO, maybe USB, maybe PC.

If there is Geek Out but no sound -> initializing problems to GO

If there is Geek Out w/ sound -> media player config problem.  

IF NO SOUND: Do n.1, or change USB port, or restart computer, if not reinstall driver.

Dec 2, 2015 at 6:33 AM Post #2,216 of 2,322
Thanks again, so much, heading for work, that's my project for tonight. Use Windows 7 Ultimate, think there is something rotten going on in the system. May have a computer geek friend of my high school daughter try to fix it, or maybe Kaspersky's computer fixing service is worth subscribing to. Tried System Restore, slightly better but still don't think it's right. But, maybe I've just done badly by songs and drivers. Thanks again! Report back tonight.

Dec 2, 2015 at 7:38 AM Post #2,217 of 2,322
Got Win 7 Ult x64 too...

let me here the outcome... 

Dec 2, 2015 at 8:17 AM Post #2,218 of 2,322
I'm wondering if the constant reminders to upgrade to Windows 10 (FOR FREE!!! :D ) have anything to do with my problems. I accidentally clicked to go ahead once, but it didn't upgrade, stopped in the middle for some reason or other, but the reminders keep coming. Any way to get rid of these? Annoying, at the very least...

Dec 2, 2015 at 9:31 AM Post #2,219 of 2,322
I'm wondering if the constant reminders to upgrade to Windows 10 (FOR FREE!!!
biggrin.gif
) have anything to do with my problems. I accidentally clicked to go ahead once, but it didn't upgrade, stopped in the middle for some reason or other, but the reminders keep coming. Any way to get rid of these? Annoying, at the very least...

The Windows 10 upgrade reminder comes from unknowingly installing a recommended Windows update. A sneaky move by Microsoft, if you ask me. You can uninstall that update using these instructions below. The update number is KB3035583. Make sure to select the correct one.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/remove-update#1TC=windows-7

Dec 2, 2015 at 11:20 PM Post #2,220 of 2,322
OK, so the lights are on on the GO
Went to Control/sound, don't see the LH labs Geek Out there, only the Realtek High Definition is listed (I foolishly deleted these from the list, causing me to do yet another System Restore, and they're back, whew). Now what?

Sorry Doc, let me help you better..

I assume you have Windoze?

1. Is/Are the led lights on GO on or off?
IF NOT: Remove and reinsert to establish power/handshake. Or Change USB port.

Possible causes: Problem with USB port, could not establish power/handshake

2. Go to windows control panel. Under Sound, check if its the default device. Check it as default if not.
Sometimes I don't hear GO becuase the system has changed its default.

Go to its properties -> advanced tab and test for sound.

If no Geek Out -> hardware problem maybe GO, maybe USB, maybe PC.

If there is Geek Out but no sound -> initializing problems to GO

If there is Geek Out w/ sound -> media player config problem.  

IF NO SOUND: Do n.1, or change USB port, or restart computer, if not reinstall driver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back