Light Harmonic Geek Out EM/1000 Impressions Thread
Feb 3, 2015 at 11:37 PM Post #1,711 of 2,322
Good idea,thanks

Feb 4, 2015 at 9:05 PM Post #1,712 of 2,322
That's because the caption for those photos says:
That blogger bought the Jay Audio LPS for the Geek Pulse, which uses a 5.5 mm DC barrel from the power source.

If you have the 5V, not 12V, version you could build your own cable.  5.5 DC to female Type A USB then connect to the power leg of a split cable like the 2G.

Feb 5, 2015 at 12:46 AM Post #1,713 of 2,322
the 5v jay's audio lps has both a usb a and barrel connector.  the one most people got was the 12v to power the geek pulse

here's the 5v jay's audio lps..  you'd still need a split usb cable and maybe a female to male adapter

Feb 5, 2015 at 12:53 AM Post #1,714 of 2,322
Ah, that's what I needed.

Feb 10, 2015 at 3:59 PM Post #1,715 of 2,322
I've just done a similar job on my GO1000. I used a y cable I had from a HDD enclosure I bought ages back. I taped off the V+ pin on the input connector to the laptop, and then used one of those phone recharger batteries as the power supply on the other leg of the Y. Works great.

Feb 11, 2015 at 4:13 AM Post #1,716 of 2,322
Can anyone confirm if the GO IEM 100 will work with an iPad without resorting to y split USB cables and a standalone battery?..

On paper, it appears as if the 100 has a low enough draw that it should be plug and play with an Apple CCK. However you'd think LH would talk that up in the product description, and they don't... So maybe no? Searched for like three hours online to see if anybody had done it, and nothing.

Feb 11, 2015 at 4:46 AM Post #1,717 of 2,322
Can anyone confirm if the GO IEM 100 will work with an iPad without resorting to y split USB cables and a standalone battery?..

On paper, it appears as if the 100 has a low enough draw that it should be plug and play with an Apple CCK. However you'd think LH would talk that up in the product description, and they don't... So maybe no? Searched for like three hours online to see if anybody had done it, and nothing.

No. You will have to use an external battery, even with the GO100.

Resonessence Labs Herus is directly compatible and plays DSD.

Feb 11, 2015 at 6:36 AM Post #1,718 of 2,322
Ugh. May be an unpopular thing to say, but that's stupid. The IEM 100 is just a stupid idea. I mean, I get the 450 and 1000, there's an excuse there for them To need an awkward workaround- they are designed to drive some serious headphones. But to make the IEM specific model not plug and play with mobile devices? Stupid. Just from a sales perspective. Well, that's frustrating. Guess it's down to the Herus+ or the HRT Microstreamer...

Feb 11, 2015 at 7:52 AM Post #1,719 of 2,322
i don't know any dac that work without battery on iphone or ipad. even portable dacs need internal battery. and go needs 5v battery based on reviews. don't you need a usb hub between dac and ipad? according to reviews you can make it work without battery but it will drain ipad like at a rate of 1 percent per minute. i wouldn't want to strain my iphone battery like that cause that might make iphone hot from fast battery use. you would be buying new iphone battery pretty soon i would assume.

Feb 11, 2015 at 8:44 AM Post #1,720 of 2,322
i don't know any dac that work without battery on iphone or ipad. even portable dacs need internal battery. and go needs 5v battery based on reviews. don't you need a usb hub between dac and ipad? according to reviews you can make it work without battery but it will drain ipad like at a rate of 1 percent per minute. i wouldn't want to strain my iphone battery like that cause that might make iphone hot from fast battery use. you would be buying new iphone battery pretty soon i would assume.

HRT Microstreamer, Resonessence Labs Herus and Herus+... I think there are a couple of other USB powered DAC/amps that play with phones and tablets with no issues, but I can't think of any right now... Bottom line, the IEM 100 should, it's power draw (at least on paper) appears to be within the limits set by Apple's engineering team. It's lame and frustrating, ha ha.

Feb 12, 2015 at 8:34 AM Post #1,722 of 2,322
Received my GO 1000 last night. Updated to 1.5 (which seems weird since it came from LH and was delivered with 1.0). Sound after a few hours really opened up and imo comes really close in sound signature to my OPPO-HA1. Makes sense since the framework of the DAC's are similar. Really drives my LCD-X's with ease (but so did my AQ DF 1.2)

Things that could be better: the buttons don't need to rattle around. That seems pretty weak compared to other electronics I have regardless of usage.

Now that I use the Mac to control volume I wanted to know if there is a way to have more steps in control. There is too much a leap from quiet listening to rocking out. Would like a step in between. I guess I could control Tidal's volume as well but it seems using two volumes in software seems wrong.

Feb 12, 2015 at 9:41 AM Post #1,723 of 2,322
Received my GO 1000 last night. Updated to 1.5 (which seems weird since it came from LH and was delivered with 1.0). Sound after a few hours really opened up and imo comes really close in sound signature to my OPPO-HA1. Makes sense since the framework of the DAC's are similar. Really drives my LCD-X's with ease (but so did my AQ DF 1.2)

Things that could be better: the buttons don't need to rattle around. That seems pretty weak compared to other electronics I have regardless of usage.

Now that I use the Mac to control volume I wanted to know if there is a way to have more steps in control. There is too much a leap from quiet listening to rocking out. Would like a step in between. I guess I could control Tidal's volume as well but it seems using two volumes in software seems wrong.

I have similar feelings about the buttons. They don't have springs behind them apparently, so they aren't held tight against the chassis, thus the rattle.

As for OSX volume control steps, are you referring to the keyboard control? If so, Option+Shift will make the volume buttons step up in smaller increments (1/4 steps IIRC).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back