Light Harmonic Geek Out EM/1000 Impressions Thread
Jan 1, 2015 at 5:59 AM Post #1,606 of 2,322

It all depends on where you live. I see you are located in Wisconsin, right? I understand the climate is quite cold, or at least cool most of the time. Now, if you lived in a place with tropical or otherwise hot climate, like say Singapore or Greece (where I come from), that would be a completely different situation and what you now feel as "warm but not uncomfortably hot" could become really uncomfortable. 

Does it really matter where you live, warm or cold?  If you use the device in building you have temperature control, heating and air conditioning, so it really shouldn't matter!

Well, it is not always that easy. I come from Greece, where summers can be very hot by european standards, especially in my home town of Larissa temperatures of +40C are not uncommon in the Summer. At home I had no air conditioning and in the summer months I had issues with my amplifier a Densen DM 10 which can get VERY hot when it is on (that didn't stop me from listening to music off course). Many other people in Greece have no air conditioning or if they have turn it on only for a few hours a day for economical reasons. In Italy I saw the same situation, i.e. not everyone has air conditioning.
I would like to note though, that I did use a Geek Out 450 in Greece last summer and it did not get uncomfortably hot.    

Jan 1, 2015 at 3:07 PM Post #1,607 of 2,322

Well, it is not always that easy. I come from Greece, where summers can be very hot by european standards, especially in my home town of Larissa temperatures of +40C are not uncommon in the Summer. At home I had no air conditioning and in the summer months I had issues with my amplifier a Densen DM 10 which can get VERY hot when it is on (that didn't stop me from listening to music off course). Many other people in Greece have no air conditioning or if they have turn it on only for a few hours a day for economical reasons. In Italy I saw the same situation, i.e. not everyone has air conditioning.
I would like to note though, that I did use a Geek Out 450 in Greece last summer and it did not get uncomfortably hot.    

Understood, my apologies.

Jan 2, 2015 at 1:45 PM Post #1,609 of 2,322

Understood, my apologies.

No reason to apologise, just wanted to clarify this point.
beerchug.gif

Jan 6, 2015 at 2:06 AM Post #1,610 of 2,322
I just wanted to report the great results I've been getting using the GO 1000 in my home system. I'm listening to some DSD256 files from http://www.highdeftapetransfers.com (down sampled to PCM by Audirvana - it won't down sample to DSD128). I'm loving the sound but now think I need a dedicated home DSD DAC, possibly the iFi DSD Micro.

Jan 6, 2015 at 7:35 AM Post #1,611 of 2,322
I have the Geek Out 1K and the SE, have had trouble setting it up from my desktop to go line out, what would be the procedure? (a link would be fine, thanks)

Jan 7, 2015 at 8:38 AM Post #1,613 of 2,322
The question is more what settings to use with the Geek Out SE connected to a PC running JRiver. I recently got a Koss ESP-950, which comes with its own amp. Tried connecting to the Geek Out, with the Light Harmonic software volume slider at 0 (the loudest setting), which I thought was line out. Everything crashed, had to reboot computer, sound out of Koss was awful. Something in settings I'm missing. I also still have to use the LH slider to control volume, other volume controls don't work. Any help out there?

Jan 7, 2015 at 9:33 AM Post #1,614 of 2,322
The question is more what settings to use with the Geek Out SE connected to a PC running JRiver. I recently got a Koss ESP-950, which comes with its own amp. Tried connecting to the Geek Out, with the Light Harmonic software volume slider at 0 (the loudest setting), which I thought was line out. Everything crashed, had to reboot computer, sound out of Koss was awful. Something in settings I'm missing. I also still have to use the LH slider to control volume, other volume controls don't work. Any help out there?

Couple of questions:

Have you gone into the Control Panel >  Hardware and Sound > Manage Audio Devices and set the LH GO SE as the default device?
What output where you using on the SE, the 47 Ohm or the .47 Ohm?

Since you're feeding an amp you should probably use the 47 Ohm output. Try lowering the volume using the Master and/or Analog sliders in the LH Control Panel to see if that sounds better.  The Koss amp, based on the specs, can be driven to full power with a 1V output and I know the SE outputs more than that which is why I suggest lowering the volume in the LH Control Panel which should lower the output voltage coming from the GO SE to the Koss amp.

Jan 7, 2015 at 10:06 AM Post #1,615 of 2,322
[COLOR=FF00AA]Have you gone into the Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Manage Audio Devices and set the LH GO SE as the default device?[/COLOR]

Yes-there are a number of different options for the Geek Out, have tried them all

[COLOR=FF00AA]What output where you using on the SE, the 47 Ohm or the .47 Ohm?[/COLOR]

was using 47, tend to use that for full size headphones, 0.47 for iems, but I'll often try it with easy to drive headphones

[COLOR=FF00AA]Since you're feeding an amp you should probably use the 47 Ohm output. Try lowering the volume using the Master and/or Analog sliders in the LH Control Panel to see if that sounds better. The Koss amp, based on the specs, can be driven to full power with a 1V output and I know the SE outputs more than that which is why I suggest lowering the volume in the LH Control Panel which should lower the output voltage coming from the GO SE to the Koss amp.[/COLOR]

Hmmm...sort of makes sense, but I thought there was a way to set the Geek Out so it is line out, completely avoiding the volume of the GO. I seem to recall the 0 on the slider working that way, but I could be remembering incorrectly (judging by my results, seems likely I'm getting something wrong).

Thanks for the response. :):)

Jan 7, 2015 at 10:24 AM Post #1,616 of 2,322
Have you gone into the Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Manage Audio Devices and set the LH GO SE as the default device?

Yes-there are a number of different options for the Geek Out, have tried them all

What output where you using on the SE, the 47 Ohm or the .47 Ohm?

was using 47, tend to use that for full size headphones, 0.47 for iems, but I'll often try it with easy to drive headphones

Since you're feeding an amp you should probably use the 47 Ohm output. Try lowering the volume using the Master and/or Analog sliders in the LH Control Panel to see if that sounds better. The Koss amp, based on the specs, can be driven to full power with a 1V output and I know the SE outputs more than that which is why I suggest lowering the volume in the LH Control Panel which should lower the output voltage coming from the GO SE to the Koss amp.

Hmmm...sort of makes sense, but I thought there was a way to set the Geek Out so it is line out, completely avoiding the volume of the GO. I seem to recall the 0 on the slider working that way, but I could be remembering incorrectly (judging by my results, seems likely I'm getting something wrong).

Thanks for the response.
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

The GO 1000, which is what the base for the SE is, outputs a max of 4.4V on the line out when volume is set to 0..  Hopefully, lowering the volume in the LH Control will reduce the output voltage so it doesn't overload the Koss amp.  You might want to open a ticket with LH and pose that question to confirm.

Jan 7, 2015 at 10:42 AM Post #1,617 of 2,322
OK, I'll give it a try, like the Koss headphones, pity not to hear them through the GO SE (been using them with the Pono player instead, which ain't half bad...really nice little player, supplanted "I" devices, Fiio X3, iBasso DX90. I wonder how the LH Wave will compare. Should be better considering the cost differential-of course with LH, cost depends on the choice of many options for the unit-but Neil Young/Ayre little player is really nice sounding. Just sayin')

Jan 7, 2015 at 11:19 AM Post #1,618 of 2,322
My SE is 2V. Not all SEs are 4V. You had the option to pick.

Jan 7, 2015 at 1:57 PM Post #1,619 of 2,322
I don't remember picking, but could be just my oncoming Alzheimers :p

Jan 7, 2015 at 5:20 PM Post #1,620 of 2,322
So how hot does this baby actually get?

I've been reading reviews and one noted ~40 degrees celcius, the other noted 70 degrees!

70 degrees makes it a bit more difficult for me to imagine using in a somewhat portable scenario...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back