Light Harmonic Geek Out EM/1000 Impressions Thread
Jul 6, 2014 at 11:48 AM Post #811 of 2,322
For those with a 450, is there any background noise with sensitive iems? I have Miracles, so I'm curious. Also, they are offering an "iem upgrade" for the Geek Wave to deal with sensitive iems (but it also means it won't be any good with fullsize headphones that aren't efficient) and the top of the line model has the same output power as the 450. I'm trying to figure out if I can skip the upgrade. Sorry for the slight derail, guys and gals.

Jul 6, 2014 at 12:05 PM Post #812 of 2,322
I have the 450 and there is very slight hiss with my sensitive and low impedance Shure 846s. But I find it barely noticeable. If you need the blackest blacks, then it may not be ideal. But I don't know how the sensitivity and impedance of the Miracles compares to my 846s. 

By way of comparison, the level of hiss on the iDSD was unacceptable with my 846s, which was too bad since it was an excellent DAC/amp otherwise. 

Jul 6, 2014 at 12:39 PM Post #813 of 2,322
  I have the 450 and there is very slight hiss with my sensitive and low impedance Shure 846s. But I find it barely noticeable. If you need the blackest blacks, then it may not be ideal. But I don't know how the sensitivity and impedance of the Miracles compares to my 846s. 

By way of comparison, the level of hiss on the iDSD was unacceptable with my 846s, which was too bad since it was an excellent DAC/amp otherwise. 

I think they're around 16 ohms/120dBl. Yet many have said that they sound fantastic with the DX100, which is fairly powerful if I'm not mistaken - I'm pretty sure any hiss would have been mentioned by those touting that combo, but it's possible that it's just low, not non-existent.

Jul 6, 2014 at 9:01 PM Post #815 of 2,322
  For those with a 450, is there any background noise with sensitive iems? I have Miracles, so I'm curious. Also, they are offering an "iem upgrade" for the Geek Wave to deal with sensitive iems (but it also means it won't be any good with fullsize headphones that aren't efficient) and the top of the line model has the same output power as the 450. I'm trying to figure out if I can skip the upgrade. Sorry for the slight derail, guys and gals.

Yes, there is a little background noise. Quite noticeable on my DN-1000 and DN-2000, but not so with ATH-IM50 and ATH-IM70.  More towards high frequency hiss.  And the noise level varied with different usb ports.
What they need to include with the DAC or DAP is gain switch. So it will be usable for both IEM and headphones.

Jul 6, 2014 at 9:34 PM Post #816 of 2,322

Yes, there is a little background noise. Quite noticeable on my DN-1000 and DN-2000, but not so with ATH-IM50 and ATH-IM70.  More towards high frequency hiss.  And the noise level varied with different usb ports.
What they need to include with the DAC or DAP is gain switch. So it will be usable for both IEM and headphones.

It is only available on the TOTL XD128, which would bring it to a total of $1028 (they install a gain switch on it if you get the iem perk, but only on the XD128). The THD option for full-size cans is no longer available for some reason...so much for choices, eh? I may take a chance and get the X128 which has 320mW output power as opposed to the XD's 450. I'm not sure I really need the balanced HO, so it is possible I'll go with an even lower model and maybe spring for a couple additional perks. I'm thinking the X128 right now with the dual dac perk (+$68, bringing it to $597).

Jul 7, 2014 at 10:22 PM Post #817 of 2,322
It is only available on the TOTL XD128, which would bring it to a total of $1028 (they install a gain switch on it if you get the iem perk, but only on the XD128). The THD option for full-size cans is no longer available for some reason...so much for choices, eh? I may take a chance and get the X128 which has 320mW output power as opposed to the XD's 450. I'm not sure I really need the balanced HO, so it is possible I'll go with an even lower model and maybe spring for a couple additional perks. I'm thinking the X128 right now with the dual dac perk (+$68, bringing it to $597).

Check the latest 999,999 perks. They have gone all out to hit the $1 million.

Jul 10, 2014 at 6:20 PM Post #819 of 2,322
  Has anybody been able to compare the GO with the hrt microStreamer yet ?

Mike Mercer has, repeated multiple times.

IIRC
"Geek Out is like the microstreamer on steroids."

Jul 10, 2014 at 6:25 PM Post #820 of 2,322

Mike Mercer has, repeated multiple times.

IIRC
"Geek Out is like the microstreamer on steroids."

Which would make it an overblown and overly aggressive sound ... 
wink_face.gif

Jul 10, 2014 at 6:29 PM Post #821 of 2,322
Thanks, yes I've already carefully read his really interesting impressions; I'd just like a few more details if possible, because I found this specific sentence quite vague nonetheless.

Jul 10, 2014 at 6:40 PM Post #822 of 2,322
I owned the microstreamer for 2 weeks, months ago and while it was articulate and clear it didn't "wow" me at the time. 
it also didn't accept some features from Audirvana+ on my mac (upsampling + something else, can't recall)
returned microstreamer for the nano iDSD for the battery powered feature, amongst others.

truth be told, after hearing desktop setups the GO450 didn't "wow" me either, although surely appreciate it's small size, mW power, DSD playback and the "front row" sound stage placement.
it's 3D feature can best be described as awful for IEMs or sensitive headphones like HP50.

GO450 has remained my work/desk unit and don't find it overblown or aggressive with HP50 headphones.  up front, yes.  detailed and accurate, yes.
not bloated or overloaded IMO.

Jul 10, 2014 at 7:11 PM Post #823 of 2,322
For what it's worth, I own the Geek Out 450 (which should sound pretty much on par with the GO 1000) and it sounds pretty darn close to the Objective DAC/Objective 2, if not slightly better. That's probably the highest honour I can give to a DAC/amp given the meticulous design behind the ODAC/O2 and how good it stacks up to other high-end audio equipment. For $300 USD I don't think I can recommend anything else that does what the GO does.

And yes the GO 450 drives my inefficient, 600 Ω, AKG K240 Monitor just fine. I just have to turn up the volume level near 75% most of the time, but it works and it sounds every bit as good as on the Objective 2, which has much more voltage output.

Jul 10, 2014 at 7:21 PM Post #824 of 2,322
Thanks Jexby ! Actually I'm going to purchase either the microStreamer or the GO450 (same price) to pair with my HD 598. The former came highly recommended, before I read about the latter... And now it's a dilemma !

Jul 10, 2014 at 10:13 PM Post #825 of 2,322
I had the micro streamer a while back and I feel that the GO is much more organic and dynamic, for what it's worth, although I don't remember the micro streamer very well. Details "pop" out a lot more on the GO, it has more authority, while the micro streamer was not laid back, but less punchy. 

I enjoy the GO more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back