Light Harmonic Geek Out EM/1000 Impressions Thread
Jun 24, 2014 at 7:24 AM Post #752 of 2,322
I'm a bit late to the party but I've had my Geek Out 720 for awhile now and am still enjoying it quite a bit.  During the campaign I opted for the 450 in Green but since the Green wasn't up to snuff i was offered a 720 in my choice of black or red (I went with black).

Being a Mac user, setup was a breeze and I can easily switch back and  forth between the Geek oUt and my NI Kore Audio 6 Audio interface by simply opening my sound preferences.  The NI Kore also has an excellent sounding DAC but it's  headphone power is pretty much the same as an iPod so it doesn't drive the Q701s all that well.  Side note.. music/studio gear tends to make for a very good DAC for a whole lot less money than most audiophile gear.  Even a basic $100-150 Focusrite iSolo is going to be a huge improvement over an on board DAC.

Initially I had the eardrum-shattering volume jumping issues every time the device was plugged in but somehow that seems to have sorted itself out without any action on my end.  But just to be on the safe side I always fire things up with the headphones off.

I've been pairing my Geek with AKG Q701s and am quite pleased wight he pairing.  I know many complain that the Q701s are a light in the Bass department but with the Geek there seems to be just a touch more bass presence making for a very pleasant listening experience.  

This is my first "audiophile" DAC so I'm not going to bother wasting anyones time with a lengthy review trying to compare it to other players.  If it were simply a DAC I'd actually have very little, or possibly no, interest in it since currently I have no high-res music and listen mainly to CDs ripped to ALAC.   It's the combination of DAC and Headphone Amp that I'm drawn to. The DACs on NI Kore Audio 6 and Apogee DUET are quite good but on their own they can't do much for power hungry headphones (but they both sound splendid with my Momentums).  
That being said, as a portable DAC/Headphone Amp combo I'm quite pleased with end result.  It's has a nice balanced sound with great resolution and can drive my AKGs with no problem.

What I'm really looking forward to is my Geek Pulse X.   I spend a lot of time sitting at my desk on my iMac and having a desktop unit that can be properly integrated into my setup will be fantastic.  

Jun 24, 2014 at 7:32 PM Post #753 of 2,322
Just a heads up with UAPP (Universal Audio Player Pro) ver. 1.1.9 for Android.

There is a preliminary DSD function  for DACs supporting DOP.

Requires a fast smartphone though.

Player link here: UAPP ver 1.1.9]Paid Version UAPP ver 1.1.9

Trial Here: TRIAL UAPP ver 1.1.9]Trial UAPP ver 1.1.9

Geek Out confirming DSD128 courtesy of the album 2L - The Nordic Sounds, 
Track 01. Mozart - Violin Concerto No. 4 In D Major Kv 218 - Allegro

Jun 25, 2014 at 4:36 AM Post #754 of 2,322
@m-i-c-k-e-y which Samsung model is that? How about the draining time of the batteries after the connection with Geek?

Jun 25, 2014 at 5:43 AM Post #755 of 2,322
Note 3 Bro.

And draining time? With Go 1000 maybe 2 hrs? Can't tell but it sucks it dry real fast. Will update this later. Had the whole DSD128 2L The Nordic Sounds album copied last night. Will see.

But was amazed though how Note 3 could support the current draw from a 1W amp.

Sent from my Samsung Note 3 using Tapatalk Pro

Jun 25, 2014 at 6:19 AM Post #756 of 2,322
Thanks for the info @m-i-c-k-e-y

Yes, dry real fast :/

Geek Stream with built-in battery can solve the problem...

Has anyone seen comparison for GO 1K to GO Stream output powers?

Jun 25, 2014 at 3:35 PM Post #757 of 2,322
Sorry to go off topic, but has anyone who didn't order their Geek Outs from kickstarter received their Geek Outs?

Jun 25, 2014 at 4:33 PM Post #758 of 2,322
  Sorry to go off topic, but has anyone who didn't order their Geek Outs from kickstarter received their Geek Outs?

My understanding is that people who pre-ordered the GO 450 in silver have had theirs shipped. And I just learned that a few people who won GO units from CES have received theirs as well. So there are a handful in the wild that were not backed via Kickstarter.

Jun 25, 2014 at 4:57 PM Post #759 of 2,322
Add me to the handful. I was told to expect it from the 2nd week of June through July, just wanted to see if anyone had received any non-Kickstarter pre-orders

Jun 26, 2014 at 2:43 AM Post #760 of 2,322
Had a test last night

Geek Out 1000 on Samsung Note 3

MP3 around 3.7 hrs.

DSD128 around 3 hrs.

Jun 26, 2014 at 6:05 AM Post #761 of 2,322
  Had a test last night

Geek Out 1000 on Samsung Note 3

MP3 around 3.7 hrs.

DSD128 around 3 hrs.

Thanks for the valuable input
beerchug.gif

Jun 26, 2014 at 6:07 AM Post #762 of 2,322
Do anyone come across a good or better alternative to Geek Out 1000 but with a battery power support (at similar price range, or lower)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back