Light Harmonic Geek Out EM/1000 Impressions Thread
Jun 10, 2014 at 11:58 AM Post #736 of 2,322
Actually I intend to use the Air almost exclusively for playing high rez music using Audirvana + and music stored in an external HDD. I would prefer not to plug it in to a wall plug whilst playing as that defeats the portability issue.

My objective here is that a set up like this would be more versatile as a transportable solution (not portable but transportable) than the various DAPs in the market as (a) there would be a lot more storage capability (b) I could use different player software besides A+ and (c) I can use different DAC amps.

A set up like this plus a 2 TB HDD would be comparable in cost to an AK120II

Jun 10, 2014 at 2:32 PM Post #737 of 2,322
Actually I intend to use the Air almost exclusively for playing high rez music using Audirvana + and music stored in an external HDD. I would prefer not to plug it in to a wall plug whilst playing as that defeats the portability issue.

My objective here is that a set up like this would be more versatile as a transportable solution (not portable but transportable) than the various DAPs in the market as (a) there would be a lot more storage capability (b) I could use different player software besides A+ and (c) I can use different DAC amps.

A set up like this plus a 2 TB HDD would be comparable in cost to an AK120II

I was thinking of a similar setup, but I already have a 13', so hopefully it will work.

Another thing I was considering is trying it on a window rt tablet or a surface pro. Not sure how the power thing will work out, but I know that my dad's RT has a full sized usb port, so it may work.

Jun 11, 2014 at 11:13 PM Post #738 of 2,322
I use the 450 with both a surface pro and a dell venue 8 pro. V8P is awesome with a 128GB microSD card.

Jun 12, 2014 at 1:33 PM Post #739 of 2,322
Zero,
   I am interested in how you are running the venue pro. What music app are you using and how are you connected(as I don't believe it has a full USB port)?

I was looking at the v8p at the local Microsoft store and it looks to be pretty awesome for the price.

Thanks

Jun 13, 2014 at 12:15 AM Post #740 of 2,322
Zero,
   I am interested in how you are running the venue pro. What music app are you using and how are you connected(as I don't believe it has a full USB port)?

I was looking at the v8p at the local Microsoft store and it looks to be pretty awesome for the price.

Thanks

Don't use an OTG cable. I'm using a regular micro to full sized female I picked up for cheap from Newegg and it works like a charm.

I'm using JRiver.

Jun 19, 2014 at 7:25 AM Post #742 of 2,322
Jun 22, 2014 at 6:06 PM Post #744 of 2,322
OK, I believe I'm connected to USB 3 (a Faunix Lab Brick powered USB port, to which I have the GO 1K hooked). Think that is how it has been. The final problem seems to be that JRiver crashes when there is a surge from the usb port, and I can't use JRiver without rebooting computer (get an error message about settings being incorrect,, but can't find anything to correct when I go into settings). Would I be better off with Foobar or another player?

I have to say this is happening often enough to make me not want to use GO1K, good sound and all. I'm becoming more likely to pick up my iBasso DX90 and listen (I prefer to be untethered, anyway, but was sitting at the computer because of how good the sound is). the DX90 can also be used as DA converter/amp, like GO, though I haven't tried it yet. If something doesn;t give, likely will get rid of the Geek gear and find stuff that works without so much trouble (I still get the deafening volume when I plug the GO in, which is every time I have to reboot due to the above problem. Coupled with the inability to figure out how to get sound out of my speakers, from the browser, and it's getting so the good sound alone isn't enough. I posted on the Geek site, Gaven told me to enter a ticket, but haven't heard anything back from them, been 3 days or so (I know they're busy, but, hey, this is the only support one can get on this kind of product).

(I originally posted this on the other Geek Out thread, but figured if someone reads this one and not that, worth posting both areas). Any suggestions appreciated.

Jun 22, 2014 at 6:50 PM Post #745 of 2,322
Never had problems with my GO1000 in my computer both USB 2.0 and USB 3.0. It even sounds nicer when plugged in directly without and extention or hub (save to something lile you Faunix Lab Brick)

Tried connecting directly to different ports (especially on USB 2,0)?

Power Management might be the culprit on USB devices. Have you tried to put it off in the Device Manager
Try to find what Port your GO is connected and turn off its Power Management thru the Properties Tab.

OR go to Change Advanced Power Settings and under USB Settings, DISABLE Usb selective suspend settings.

Your computer might be "suspending" power to your usb ports.

Try to go to your BIOS settings if there are some settings disabled.

Had this issue but on my portable HD drive...

Jun 22, 2014 at 9:37 PM Post #746 of 2,322
Thanks for the suggestions...really...now if I can only figure them out in English :)
(I can probably work it out, only kidding, though I am not terribly computer knowledgeable). Thanks again.

Jun 22, 2014 at 11:52 PM Post #747 of 2,322
I've been using the 3D Awesomeifier a lot as of late.. and I've come to really enjoy it... particularly with my Ultimate Ears Reference Monitors.  I've never really enjoyed crossfeed implementations in most of the amps, I've owned.. but the one on the GO is really well done, IMO.  As with most all crossfeeds, there's an adjustment period for you ears.  Right off the bat, enabling the 3DA causes the stage to feel like it narrows and there's slightly less bass.  But after letting my ears adjust for a while (a few minutes) and listening for another 15 to 20 minutes.. I'd turn off the 3DA and feel something didn't quite sound 'right' w/ it off.

Jun 23, 2014 at 4:58 AM Post #748 of 2,322
  You can add me to the "blown eardrums" group. I was careful to lower the level on my computer before doing anything; then I made the mistake of pressing the volume button on the Geek (once!) and the volume jumped to head-splitting levels.

Seriously, who designed it that way??

I'm joining too... my GO 450 almost blown my DUNU DN-1000 and DN-2000 
mad.gif

Considering the power of the Geek Out, this BED (Blowing Ear Drums) BUG is really dangerous and should be fixed ASAP!

Was using:
Windows 7 Pro SP1 64 bit, installed the 2.20 driver, played using Foobar v1.3.1.
From the control panel, my Geek Out is version v10.02

Jun 23, 2014 at 5:00 AM Post #749 of 2,322
  I've been using the 3D Awesomeifier a lot as of late.. and I've come to really enjoy it... particularly with my Ultimate Ears Reference Monitors.  I've never really enjoyed crossfeed implementations in most of the amps, I've owned.. but the one on the GO is really well done, IMO.  As with most all crossfeeds, there's an adjustment period for you ears.  Right off the bat, enabling the 3DA causes the stage to feel like it narrows and there's slightly less bass.  But after letting my ears adjust for a while (a few minutes) and listening for another 15 to 20 minutes.. I'd turn off the 3DA and feel something didn't quite sound 'right' w/ it off.

Sorry for being ignorant, how to activate the 3D Awesomeifier?
My GO 450 setup has BED (Blowing Ear Drums) BUG, so I don't dare to touch the volume buttons, and I don't see any option on the control panel to activate the 3DA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back