Light Harmonic Geek Out EM/1000 Impressions Thread
Jun 1, 2014 at 8:18 AM Post #676 of 2,322
You can add me to the "blown eardrums" group. I was careful to lower the level on my computer before doing anything; then I made the mistake of pressing the volume button on the Geek (once!) and the volume jumped to head-splitting levels.

Seriously, who designed it that way??

Jun 1, 2014 at 8:30 AM Post #677 of 2,322
I don't have a problem with the volume once it's plugged in and set. If it comes off, and needs to be replugged, it's really hard to listen, the volume maxes out and goes down really slowly with the hardware controls. I've forgotten more than once and gotten quite a shocking surprise...

Jun 1, 2014 at 9:34 AM Post #679 of 2,322
Is that the FAD? have the Hope VI on order, BuySmartJapan emaied me it was shipped, but don't know how long that will take. Will report in (if that's what you meant) when they come, hopefully soon...

Jun 1, 2014 at 3:12 PM Post #681 of 2,322
Sounds like another case of the Geek Out blowing Out people's eardrums. You would think they would have addressed this issue by now...or we can let people go deaf. :x

THIS WAS BAD DESIGN
Period

and I shouldv'e stressed that more!

at T.H.E Show w/ a friend and we had to be careful w/ her EVERYTIME!

DaVinci DAC parts or NOT

BAD design element

sonically
GOOD, and GREAT w/ the right cans

but - HOW MANY PEEPS STILL HAVEN'T GOT THEIRS???
I'm currently invegtigating - as there MAY be too many IndieGogo campaigns
BEFORE getting Everybody their products!!

I was a winner of the Geek Out from the CES event and I haven't received mine yet. Light harmonic did say they were planning to ship it sometime on the first week of June though, which is around now.

Jun 1, 2014 at 3:29 PM Post #682 of 2,322
I was a winner of the Geek Out from the CES event and I haven't received mine yet. Light harmonic did say they were planning to ship it sometime on the first week of June though, which is around now.

Crossing my fingers that those will be shipping this week as well. They were waiting for clocks from one of their manufacturers and they finally came in last week. From what I understand, Indiegogo backers, CES winners and pre-orders should start shipping this week. Dunno when referral prizes will be shipped out, probably after backers, pre-orders and contest winners is my guess. We'll see. I can't count how many times I've answered "soon" when people ask when I'll have mine to get opinions.

Jun 1, 2014 at 8:30 PM Post #683 of 2,322
Is that the FAD? have the Hope VI on order, BuySmartJapan emaied me it was shipped, but don't know how long that will take. Will report in (if that's what you meant) when they come, hopefully soon...

yeah i meant FAD .... how much did you pay for it in total?

B

I believe it was about 63,000 yen, which I purchased through BuySmartJapan, total about $630 including fees and shipping. The fees may be cheaper using Tenso, which lots of folks here use (though I haven't priced it out), but I can't stand the way they are set up for ordering, BuySmartJapan is fairly easy to use, I'll pay a few more dollars and use them.

Jun 1, 2014 at 9:29 PM Post #684 of 2,322
  THIS WAS BAD DESIGN
Period

Hmmm... That sounds a little harsh. I cannot reproduce this problem when using a Geek Out 450 on a MacBook Pro - no matter how I have the Geek Out set up, playing stuff directly from iTunes, Spotify, or by using Audirvana+, I can't get the volume to jump to maximum no matter how much or in which combinations I play with the up/down buttons on the Geek Out, or with the volume sliders in the menu bar or in the various music playback apps - the caveat being that the master/system volume slider on the MacBook is never at 100%. From everything I've read, this appears to be a Microsoft Windows-only issue?

I know that it's no excuse, but I think we have to remember the context in which the Geek Out was designed and brought to market: If I understand correctly, Light Harmonic / LHLabs at the time consisted of Larry Ho, Gavin Fish, and maybe one or two other people? It appears as if all of their testing was done on Mac OS X. A working Windows driver wasn't even released until after the first batch of Geek Outs had been shipped out to some of the luckier KickStarter backers, so it appears as if Windows compatibility was a low priority, and probably didn't get a lot of testing before being released. Given those circumstances, it would be pretty hard to predict this problem in the lab before the product shipped.

If the volume worked as intended (designed) by LHLabs, pushing the volume down button on the Geek Out would just lower the volume, right? So, this isn't necessarily bad design - it's a bug, either in the firmware of the Geek Out, or in the Windows driver. I've read that Larry is working on a firmware fix for this, which should be available soon. Perhaps you are saying that having volume buttons on the Geek Out in the first place was the poor design decision? I guess I could almost agree with that, but in the context of LHLabs, this appears to be part of the personality of all of the LHLabs products - they appear to want to give their customers as much choice as possible. I think perhaps they may be paying too much attention to what everyone over at the LHLabs Geek Force forums is clamoring for, and as a result their products could be compromised by trying to do too much (but I'm just as likely to be wrong - we will need to wait and see for the Geek Pulse/Wave/Blue/Stream/LPS/[enter crowd-funding scheme of the day here]...).

but - HOW MANY PEEPS STILL HAVEN'T GOT THEIRS???

I'm still waiting for my pre-ordered Geek Out 450 (ordered in January, credit card charged in March). I got so tired of waiting and impatient that I purchased another one from a Kickstarter backer who had received several and put one of his extras up for sale. Part of my impatience is YOUR FAULT, Mr. Mercer, due to your extremely positive review of the Geek Out 1000 
tongue_smile.gif

I've had it for a week now, and I am extremely satisfied with it: the sound quality that I'm getting out of it just absolutely blows away the built-in DAC and weak headphone amp in my mid-2009 17" MacBook Pro (listening through PSB M4U 1's). Due to my limited/newby experience with this stuff, the only other dedicated DAC/Amp that I can compare it to is a NuForce Icon iDo (connected to an iPhone 5s), and all I need to say about that comparison is that the iDo isn't getting used anymore.

Now that you've had your Geek Out 1000 for over three months, are you still as happy with it as you were when you first reviewed it? When you need to use a portable USB DAC/amp, what do you throw in your bag with your laptop and headphones? The Geek Out? ALO Island? HRT microStreamer? Dragonfly? All four?

Jun 1, 2014 at 9:45 PM Post #685 of 2,322
Love the GO1k haven't gotten to grips with everything associated with it and Windows. The volume problem is as noted above, but I also can't figure out how to set it up so that it isn't the only sound source. Now, if I go to YouTube or other sites that have sound and want to listen through the speakers that are connected to the PC, don't know how to do it, sound only comes through GO. For that matter, if I wanted to listen to music from JRiver, and wanted to use the speakers rather than headphones, don't know how to set that up either. Didn't see this in the instructions, though I may have missed something. Headphones through GO1K are fabulous sounding, some benefit more than others (absolutely LOVE the Thinksound On1 throught GO1K).

Jun 2, 2014 at 2:01 PM Post #686 of 2,322
For anyone else who ordered it via non-Kickstarter methods, LH Labs' customer service said they should be sent out from the second week of June through July. So I'm assuming there have been more delays.

Jun 2, 2014 at 2:31 PM Post #688 of 2,322
I wouldn't have minded waiting this long except it was set for release by April, then May, then the 1st week of June and now after. Hopefully the Geek out will be worth it

Jun 2, 2014 at 3:21 PM Post #689 of 2,322
  THIS WAS BAD DESIGN
Period

I really am asking here, aren't the Dragonfly or Meridian Explorer exactly the same and set to 0 db at power up? 

I can see where it makes sense and where it is a problem. If you are using the dac section and going into amp/pre this would be the optimal standard. Plugging cans in you could see where lowest volume on power up would be a better standard. I am not sure anyone is doing that yet. 

I have used it on Mac, PC and Linux..none have jumped volume or had any issues engaging the 3D providing you have OS and software volume preferences selected to use either/or and not both. Again, not sure if this is different than any other digital volume control on the market. 

If 0db on start up is a bad design..whose design is it? It seems to be common across different dac chips, do the chip makers offer an alternative via firmware?

Jun 2, 2014 at 6:39 PM Post #690 of 2,322
Well, the device certainly could remember its last volume state and send that back to the computer... there is certainly the chicken and egg problem.  But it seems like the best answer is that the volume in the DAC should be definitive, and it would then take something to change it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back