Light Harmonic Geek Out EM/1000 Impressions Thread
Apr 25, 2014 at 5:21 PM Post #391 of 2,322
So anybody tried it hooking up with a separate amp?? 

Apr 25, 2014 at 7:03 PM Post #392 of 2,322
GO1000 impressions:

Initial impression show this to be very capable. It can certainly drive my k701s no problem - somthing it has always taken desktop amps to drive adequately before (bear in mind I bought the 1W version, the geekout 1000). So it works very well with headphones. I've tested on both windows systems, and linux. It worked A1 on both systems, and I couldn't complain about either. 

I've also tested it with a range of sample rates and it worked flawlessly with all I tried. Jplay ran out of steam before the player did, but reverting back to another player allowed it to play OK. I do think the 3D thing is a decent addition, especially for headphones, and has its place. I don't see myself using it too much, but hey, its free, included and works well. Whats to complain about.

So how does it stack up. I gave it an unfair test - direct comparison via my main system(*) to John Kenny's jkdac32. It actually performed pretty well - now, the jkdac was better, and no doubt about it. But given that the geek was running off USB power and so on, I was impressed enough. I think giving the geek a clean power supply would improve it more. At the end of the day, that kinda goes against having something thats plug and play, so I probably won't bother doing that -but it could be done easily enough. The geek pulls just under half and amp steady so it would be hard on batteries. a shunt supply, or at least linear would probably be better. I don't know how audible the things that I'm aiming for would be with headphones anyway - soundstage cues etc. Cleaner bass and treble definitely.

So I need to do more listening and give a bit more run in time before coming back to this. I'll probably rig up and external PSU to try as well just to see.

Fran

(*) modified CAPS zuma spec with linear supplies, GO1000, aikido valve preamp, broskie EL34 PP/triode mode amp - Eist Audio Dubh speakers.

I used the 47r output as the input impedance of the pre is high.

Apr 25, 2014 at 8:49 PM Post #395 of 2,322
Does this mean I'm set incorrectly somewhere? Using JRiver, thought I followed the directions, but wouldn't be unlike me to have not done something somewhere I needed to do.

[CONTENTEMBED=/t/711267/light-harmonic-geek-out-em-1000-impressions-and-appreciation-thread/375#post_10487646 layout=inline] [/CONTENTEMBED]
[CONTENTEMBED=/t/711267/light-harmonic-geek-out-em-1000-impressions-and-appreciation-thread/375#post_10487646 layout=inline]Hello doctorjazz[/CONTENTEMBED]

It seems that even though you may have selected the GO1000 as the default device on Windows, and Jriver is either sending music to the Default Device or Light Harmonic Driver (Direct Sound) [Assuming such an option is available].  So to verify this do the following

Playing the track on JRiver, move the pointer to the Tools icon (1) so playback info is shown.

[COLOR=FF4400]
[/COLOR]

If you see something similar to what's on "2", then your GO1000 is setup wrong in JRiver. JRiver is taking the sound and giving it to Windows (using Direct Sound) so Windows plays it back on the GO1000. So Windows will resample it to whatever is has setup on the devices properties. You can change that setting up to 24/192, but everything will be upsampling on Windows (not good option for that), and all system sounds will sound through there as well. Not good.  So Click on Playback Options 

[COLOR=FF00AA][COLOR=FF00AA]OK, get stuck immediately with step 1, don't see the tools icon in JRiver 19, just a full screen icon up there. The upper left tools section has different sections, but they don't correspond to the window you posted to do step 2. What am I doing wrong?[/COLOR][/COLOR]

Once on Playback Options, under Audio Device select the option Light Harmonic (ASIO) [or similar]. In this case since I don't anything connected to the PC, I will choose the internal soundcard identified as High Definition Audio Device [WASAPI] (another option to bypass windows mixer that works within Windows). 

So after you select the GO1000, click OK/APPLY and play something now. Move the cursor to the Tools icon again. You should see on the Output that it is using ASIO [direct connection] and your GO1000 LED should reflect whatever sampling rate you send to it.

[COLOR=FF4400]
[/COLOR]

hope this helps

Apr 25, 2014 at 8:54 PM Post #396 of 2,322
Wait, I see, I get 48khz 32bit using 2 channel using ASIO Direct Connect, looks like that's what's going on, I'll try to correct it in a bit, thanks

Apr 25, 2014 at 9:30 PM Post #397 of 2,322
Wait, I see, I get 48khz 32bit using 2 channel using ASIO Direct Connect, looks like that's what's going on, I'll try to correct it in a bit, thanks

Great!

Go to the tool section again and click on "DSP Studio". Make sure that the box with sampling rates has "no change" on all of them. That way, whatever the sample rate is, the Geek will receive

Apr 25, 2014 at 9:32 PM Post #398 of 2,322
OK, tried to fix it, seems there are 4 options under Playback options that involve the Geek, Light Harmonic (ASIO), LH Labs Geek OUt (WASPI), Geek Out KD AudioIv0 (kernal Streaming), and LH Labs Geek OUt (Direct Sound). Three of the 4 tell me direct connection, one says it's not, but they all tell me the 96khz file I'm listening is being converted to 48khz. Can't seem to find why (I did have Geek in the settings initially, this is what I was getting). The GO 1000 still has 1 light whichever I set. Any ideas?

Apr 25, 2014 at 9:38 PM Post #399 of 2,322
OK, tried to fix it, seems there are 4 options under Playback options that involve the Geek, Light Harmonic (ASIO), LH Labs Geek OUt (WASPI), Geek Out KD AudioIv0 (kernal Streaming), and LH Labs Geek OUt (Direct Sound). Three of the 4 tell me direct connection, one says it's not, but they all tell me the 96khz file I'm listening is being converted to 48khz. Can't seem to find why (I did have Geek in the settings initially, this is what I was getting). The GO 1000 still has 1 light whichever I set. Any ideas?

Please read my post above. Select the ASIO option. It is the preferred one as that one bypasses Windows completely.

Also, if you have DSD music, follow this post from a member over at the LHLabs forum:

http://geek.lhlabs.com/force/geekout/1032-set-up-in-jriver.html#16657

It is similar to what we discussed here but includes some additional things to make sure DSD is sent natively.

Apr 26, 2014 at 1:24 AM Post #400 of 2,322
Can someone tell me if the Windows volume control works for their Geek if ASIO or WASAPI are used?

Apr 26, 2014 at 8:32 PM Post #401 of 2,322

Great!

Go to the tool section again and click on "DSP Studio". Make sure that the box with sampling rates has "no change" on all of them. That way, whatever the sample rate is, the Geek will receive

That was the problem, had to change to "no change" at all rates, thanks a lot!!!

Apr 28, 2014 at 2:56 PM Post #404 of 2,322
Has anyone tried a GeekOut yet with a Raspberry Pi or OdroidU3?

Both of these run linux (debian, ubuntu).

I have a RPI, 2TB harddrive, powered usb hub and Meridian Explorer as my car music server.
I'm in the process of replacing the RPI with the much more powerful OdroidU3.

Clearly the GeekOut will need a separate source of power with the RPI, perhaps with the OdroidU3 also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back