Light Harmonic Geek Out EM/1000 Impressions Thread
Mar 26, 2014 at 10:15 PM Post #76 of 2,322
I'm also interested in how the Geek Out does using its line out with an amp.

Mar 26, 2014 at 10:17 PM Post #77 of 2,322
I'm also interested in how the Geek Out does using its line out with an amp.

+1 to that.

Using the DAC part of the Geek Out in a desktop setup with a different amp (Vali) is what I'm considering as well.

Mar 27, 2014 at 12:23 AM Post #78 of 2,322
Hey Mike, how well does the Geek Out perform with your LCD-3's from a power/current standpoint? I've been thinking about a transportable dac/amp for my LCD-2's, but I've found that they require buttloads of power to really make them sound their best (and I mean speaker amp levels of power). Do you think the Geek Out 1000 would have enough power for them? I was originally looking at an iBasso combo that outputs 2.5w, but the Geek Out may be a smaller and cheaper alternative.

Also, does anyone know how much they will cost after preorders? Will it be the same $199 base price?

Mar 27, 2014 at 1:05 AM Post #79 of 2,322
GO 1000
Serial #000129
Sennheiser HD-600 vi 0.47Ω output
Media Hosted on Synology Diskstation
Playback Software Audirvana+  V1.5.12 (INT mode) on Late 2013 Macbook Pro OSX 10.9.2

I played CD rips (Apple lossless format) tonight along with a few HD Tracks titles (Jazz at the Pawnshop) and some DSD from Channel Classics. The unit does get warm but not alarmingly so. Bass is solid. Treble is detailed without any etch or hardness. This is some of the best digital I've heard on these headphones. It thoroughly trumps my Peachtree iNova which while having a fantastic digital section (when listening over speakers or it's line level output) never could drive the HD-600s with the same authority and freedom of harshness at loud volumes.

High bit rate audio really does come alive. Jazz at the Pawnshop is spooky. Audirvana+ could not detect that the device was DSD capable but I was able to "force" it via the "DSD over PCM Standard 1.0" option. Channel Classics' Strauss (http://www.channelclassics.com/fischer-24507.html) is absolutely breathtaking. I listened to this one at FULL VOLUME. There's so much easy detail, texture, effortless dynamics, natural bass, etc.

At this point (already), comparisons are going to pointless because for the price, I don't think you can get much better. I'm looking forward to going to work tomorrow so I can get hours and hours of listening in. My music spending is about to skyrocket.

Future tests: Mr. Speakers' Mad Dog Alphas v3.2 and using the GO 1000 as a DAC in my home system driven by an older Mac Mini.

Light Harmonic has hit a Grand Slam.

Mar 27, 2014 at 6:33 AM Post #81 of 2,322
Does anyone with a Geek Out also own a USB power purifier?  Like the AQVOX, ifi iUSB or the ifi iPurifier?  Interested to know if you can take the performance level of the Geek Out any further by using such devices.  Thanks.

Mar 27, 2014 at 10:29 AM Post #82 of 2,322
Does anyone with a Geek Out also own a USB power purifier?  Like the AQVOX, ifi iUSB or the ifi iPurifier?  Interested to know if you can take the performance level of the Geek Out any further by using such devices.  Thanks.
I think you would be better off with the Geek Pulse, which features a lot of the circuit of the Geek Out with a better power supply.

Mar 27, 2014 at 2:03 PM Post #84 of 2,322
Thanks for all the reviews and imnpressions!  I have a noob question:  Is there any benefit to getthing the more powerful versions if your headphones don't need it (other than "future-proofing")?  According to the site Nico posted earlier, the 450 will push 110db on my Q701, so I don't think I need to spring for the more expensive one (and budget is a consideration).

Mar 27, 2014 at 5:24 PM Post #87 of 2,322
Thanks Mikeyfresh. Good info. I already own an iUSB that I use with an Audiophilleo 2 which does make an improvement on my home rig. Just want to see if it's worth it to get another one to use with the Geek Out, or maybe the cheaper iPurifier. I ordered the base GO so I won't be getting it for quite some time.

Mar 27, 2014 at 8:41 PM Post #88 of 2,322
  is the base model still considered fine for someone who is primarily an iem user? i could see myself maaaaaaaybe getting some cans down the line, but i'm much more of an iem guy at this point in time.

Yep, the 450 mW version is recommended for someone only using IEM or efficient cans.

Thanks for all the reviews and imnpressions!  I have a noob question:  Is there any benefit to getthing the more powerful versions if your headphones don't need it (other than "future-proofing")?  According to the site Nico posted earlier, the 450 will push 110db on my Q701, so I don't think I need to spring for the more expensive one (and budget is a consideration).

If everything you have is below 100 ohm, then sticking with the 450 mW is perfect. The main benefit to getting a stronger amp is for more difficult cans. Since you have the Q701, I personally would step to the 720 mW version. That model can handle the Q701 with room to spare, still be decent for more efficient cans, and have plenty of head room for future upgrades. I have 600 ohm headphones, so I went with both the 1000 and 720 models myself. I'll be able to compare side by side how they are.

Mar 27, 2014 at 11:28 PM Post #90 of 2,322
I think you would be better off with the Geek Pulse, which features a lot of the circuit of the Geek Out with a better power supply.

something else that would be interesting is a usb cable that breaks out power, and running the power tail to a battery supply.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back