Light Harmonic Geek Out EM/1000 Impressions Thread
Nov 7, 2014 at 12:04 AM Post #1,426 of 2,322
Chain tonight:

TIDAL (lossless streaming) .. Geek Out 1000 (FRM filter) .. [47 ohm output] .. HD 650 (w/ Furutech/ADL AHD-35 Senn cable).

This is just a phenomenal rig.  The 47 ohm output combined with the FRM filter seems to offer a special kind of synergy with the HD 650.  I like the TCM filter when I'm using the GO as a DAC or when I need a clean, transparent-leaning sound; the FRM filter serves a hint more warmth and euphony through the lower mids and a dash of 'slickness' to the treble.  The TCM is the more 'solid state' sounding of the two filters.. the FRM is more tube like.. more precisely, more 'hybrid-tube' like, generally speaking.  The gentle bloom through the lower mids and treble "ripple" is something my UERM & HD650 seems to welcome.

Regardless of the filter, the GO1000 is wonderful.. it mostly serves DAC duty these days, so I've thought about putting it up for trade/sale so I can get a GO450 (which outputs ~2V.. closer to Redbook standard).. but every time I use the GO with my headphones, I'm not sure I can dare to part with it.

Nov 8, 2014 at 12:37 AM Post #1,427 of 2,322
Hi, there

In version 1.0 firmware, when you set to -0dB. I by-pass the digital volume control totally. And -1dB actually will make the over all volume a little bit higher than -0db because digital volume control start to kick in.

In version 1.5 firmware, same thing here, -0db will give you the 'by-pass' of DVC. And I fine tuned the digital volume control a bit, so -1dB's volume is bit lower. Also, when you set -0dB at master volume but change the dB in individual channel, actually it will turn on Geek Out DAC's 'channel balance' feature. This is new in 1V5 too.

I love to use TCM in my home audio system. With femto clock and precise DPLL control in ESS chip, sound is even better.

Enjoy!

Larry

Nov 8, 2014 at 3:26 PM Post #1,429 of 2,322
Hi, there

In version 1.0 firmware, when you set to -0dB. I by-pass the digital volume control totally. And -1dB actually will make the over all volume a little bit higher than -0db because digital volume control start to kick in.

In version 1.5 firmware, same thing here, -0db will give you the 'by-pass' of DVC. And I fine tuned the digital volume control a bit, so -1dB's volume is bit lower. Also, when you set -0dB at master volume but change the dB in individual channel, actually it will turn on Geek Out DAC's 'channel balance' feature. This is new in 1V5 too.

I love to use TCM in my home audio system. With femto clock and precise DPLL control in ESS chip, sound is even better.

Enjoy!

Larry

Cool. Thanks for chiming in on that Larry! That helps clear some things up.

Nov 10, 2014 at 12:57 AM Post #1,430 of 2,322
Hello everyone,
I want to buy a DAC\Amp for use home with PC and car with smartphone. is it possible use the Geeko Out 1000 (with Sony Xperia Z3), as a portable device, to use in car audio system connected via aux 3,5?

or perhaps need some other accessory ?

Thanks to all

P.S.
Sorry for my bad English

Nov 10, 2014 at 2:01 AM Post #1,431 of 2,322
I had a Sony Xperia Z and had problems with Geek Out 1000.

My M2tech Hiface DAC was working though.

Don't know with Z3.

Nov 10, 2014 at 5:46 AM Post #1,432 of 2,322
Ok,
but is it possible use the Geeko Out 1000 with a smartphone as a portable device, to use in car audio system,
for use exclusively with speakers (no headphone) connected via aux 3,5 and cigarette lighter (for recharging) in car audio system?

Thanks

Nov 10, 2014 at 6:33 AM Post #1,433 of 2,322
  Ok,
but is it possible use the Geeko Out 1000 with a smartphone as a portable device, to use in car audio system,
for use exclusively with speakers (no headphone) connected via aux 3,5 and cigarette lighter (for recharging) in car audio system?

Thanks

Hi,

The Geek Outs all have two 3,5mm jacks.

One of the jacks is a 47-Ohm Line Out - for connection to your car radio's Aux input.

Your biggest problem is that your Sony Xperia Z3 cannot supply the Geek Out with the 5V power it needs to operate.

So you would have to provide 5V power to your Geek Out by using a USB Y cable, like this (or its equivalent) ...

k2-_f6980df1-c084-4f56-b393-f3d69de780b4.v1.jpg
12-161-003-TS

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812161003

And a 12V -to- 5V cigarette lighter power adapter, that can produce at least 1.0 Amps at 5V, like this (or its equivalent)...

51apCxz1c3L._SX425_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Omni-Smart-Charger-3-1Amp-15-5W/dp/B00KH8RCLU

You would plug the Geek Out into the female USB A connector of the Y-Cable, then attach the Xperia Z3 and the power source to the two male USB A connectors.

Proceed at your own risk - I haven't tested any of this. 

Personally, I would avoid using your car as a power source - it's going to be noisy.  

I would power the Geek Out with a portable 5V battery pack, instead - like this (or its equivalent)...

pic_ex2.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/15000mAh-Portable-Ultra-High-External-lightning/dp/B00D5VAYRU

Again, proceed at your own risk.  
redface.gif

Mike

Nov 11, 2014 at 3:32 PM Post #1,434 of 2,322
Hi guys, just learned about GO1000. I understand correctly - it would be a perfect companion for LCD-3 or HD800 if I am after a USB-powered (critical requirement) solution?

Nov 11, 2014 at 4:51 PM Post #1,435 of 2,322
The creator/designer has HD-800 and LCD-X to tune for it. If you read the first posts the reviewer has LCD-3/HD-800.

Nov 11, 2014 at 6:57 PM Post #1,436 of 2,322
The creator/designer has HD-800 and LCD-X to tune for it. If you read the first posts the reviewer has LCD-3/HD-800.

Thanks! I guess I just saved $400 by not buying CypherLabs 720 thingie.

Nov 12, 2014 at 3:44 PM Post #1,438 of 2,322
Chain tonight:

TIDAL (lossless streaming) .. Geek Out 1000 (FRM filter) .. [47 ohm output] .. HD 650 (w/ Furutech/ADL AHD-35 Senn cable).

This is just a phenomenal rig.  The 47 ohm output combined with the FRM filter seems to offer a special kind of synergy with the HD 650.  I like the TCM filter when I'm using the GO as a DAC or when I need a clean, transparent-leaning sound; the FRM filter serves a hint more warmth and euphony through the lower mids and a dash of 'slickness' to the treble.  The TCM is the more 'solid state' sounding of the two filters.. the FRM is more tube like.. more precisely, more 'hybrid-tube' like, generally speaking.  The gentle bloom through the lower mids and treble "ripple" is something my UERM & HD650 seems to welcome.

Regardless of the filter, the GO1000 is wonderful.. it mostly serves DAC duty these days, so I've thought about putting it up for trade/sale so I can get a GO450 (which outputs ~2V.. closer to Redbook standard).. but every time I use the GO with my headphones, I'm not sure I can dare to part with it.

I've been listening to TIDAL, I have a basic question....how do you get TIDAL into my GO SE? Do I listen through JRIVER? TThat's how I listen to music on my hard drive, music I stream doesn't go through the Geek, but straight to my speakers.

Nov 12, 2014 at 3:52 PM Post #1,439 of 2,322
I've been listening to TIDAL, I have a basic question....how do you get TIDAL into my GO SE? Do I listen through JRIVER? TThat's how I listen to music on my hard drive, music I stream doesn't go through the Geek, but straight to my speakers.

What version of JRiver are you using?  The newer releases come with a WDM driver that allows you to route a stream through JRiver to your GO SE or you just need to make the LH Labs output device the default in the Control Panel --> Sound --> Manage Audio Devices

Nov 12, 2014 at 3:52 PM Post #1,440 of 2,322

You can change the playback device in Tidal's settings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back