Light effecting sound.
Feb 5, 2008 at 1:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Acoustic Chef

Banned
I don't know… is this well established already or am I on to something?

I've been doing allot of testing and have pretty much come to the conclusion, YES light effects sound. Now I'm not just talking about the effects of powering down your lighting. but light its self.

The magical world of Hi-fi; unveiling truths of the universe.
wink.gif

Feb 5, 2008 at 1:58 AM Post #4 of 21
Maybe it effects the person so the person takes a different feel to the sound? That is what I would think would happen. Mood and perception changes due to lighting effects. Light shinning on a cable and effecting the sound would be something like a six order or twentieth order effect.

Feb 5, 2008 at 1:59 AM Post #5 of 21
Can you quantify that or is it entirely psycho-illogical?
confused.gif

Have you tried green light on woofers, blue on mids, red on tweets, etc?? How about electrostats? Now that would be the acid test.
wink.gif

Feb 5, 2008 at 2:02 AM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by colonelkernel8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, here comes overpriced audiophile lighting. What.

Maybe lighting is good for us instead of attempting to block it with surge suppressors, huh!
wink.gif

It is just possible that the concepts being pitched are first thrown balls of new ad ideals in whether they work or not. So don't take these as anything like gospel that anyone actually thinks this way.

One of the original advertising pitches I found from Virtual Dynamics was the concept of "The Whisper of God" which was taken by many as being very offensive and extreme. Ad copy has a way of expressing itself in hyperbole and by being taken by people with little sense of humor as false advertisements.

Feb 5, 2008 at 2:21 AM Post #8 of 21
psychoacoustic if anything at all

Feb 5, 2008 at 2:24 AM Post #9 of 21
I’ve witnessed many instances, of this type of phenomenon. But it wasn't until there was an offset in the right channel from the left that I couldn't fix until I went and turned off the spot light that was shinning on that very speaker.

So what if light is along the lines of a super high frequency sound wave... A linier type wave that inverts; where the dynamic inversion is luminosity.

And photons are a byproduct of the interaction between this high speed sound wave and atmospheres.

Just a personal theory... but still no joke...

Feb 5, 2008 at 2:32 AM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acoustic Chef /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I’ve witnessed many instances, of this type of phenomenon. But it wasn't until there was an offset in the right channel from the left that I couldn't fix until I went and turned off the spot light that was shinning on that very speaker.

So what if light is along the lines of a super high frequencies sound wave... A linier type wave that inverts; where the dynamic inversion is luminosity.

Just a theory... but still no joke...

You are not looking at all the possible effects. With one speaker being hotter than the other may have some effect on the cone materials having different flexibility. If the heat and the cone material was sensitive enough this may cause some phase differences between the speakers. So the primary effect would not be light but heat effecting the sound.

You have to define your control boundary of your test or you do not know what is going on. Suggestion for an alternative to test my conjecture. Place space heater near on speaker with a thermometer on both and make sure that the temperatures reflect what was going on during your spotlight experience. But the spotlight produces infrared light which may be adsorbed more than simple heat from a space heater, again maybe not the same thing but it could be indicative of effect or results previously noted.

Feb 5, 2008 at 2:38 AM Post #11 of 21
LEDs which are often used as constant current sources in audio equipment are sensitive to light via the photoelectic effect. I've definitely seen this when amps on on my bench and I am finalizing circuit parameters. Now, I do these type of things with the amps closed up and running test probes to the circuit.

Feb 5, 2008 at 2:46 AM Post #13 of 21
Acoustic Chef is trying to make some sort of joke. No one is as silly as he pretends to be.

See ya
Steve

Feb 5, 2008 at 2:47 AM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by luvdunhill /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LEDs which are often used as constant current sources in audio equipment are sensitive to light via the photoelectic effect. I've definitely seen this when amps on on my bench and I am finalizing circuit parameters. Now, I do these type of things with the amps closed up and running test probes to the circuit.

So would you suggest that you could charge your LED flashlight batteries if you set it out in the light all day?

Feb 5, 2008 at 2:48 AM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You are not looking at all the possible effects. With one speaker being hotter than the other may have some effect on the cone materials having different flexibility. If the heat and the cone material was sensitive enough this may cause some phase differences between the speakers. So the primary effect would not be light but heat effecting the sound.

You have to define your control boundary of your test or you do not know what is going on. Suggestion for an alternative to test my conjecture. Place space heater near on speaker with a thermometer on both and make sure that the temperatures reflect what was going on during your spotlight experience. But the spotlight produces infrared light which may be adsorbed more than simple heat from a space heater, again maybe not the same thing but it could be indicative of effect or results previously noted.

Post # 3

Users who are viewing this thread

Back