Life with amp
Feb 15, 2002 at 2:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 45

M Rael

500+ Head-Fier
If you want crossfeed facts, go to Headwize

Feb 15, 2002 at 2:38 AM Post #2 of 45
yeah... a quality amp really does make a difference. Since a good amp will cost you at least $350 (for a corda) all the way up to $1400 (For a Max), I tried to convince myself that the difference was not worth the money...

But the increase in everything: soundstage, detail, transients, dynamics... just sucked me in.

I'd say go for a Melos if you feel lucky or a ZOTL if you want a warranty. Both of those seriously start scraping the upper limits of what an amp can buy you, while still costing far less than $1k (melos is $400, ZOTL is about $550 used)

Feb 15, 2002 at 3:32 AM Post #3 of 45
MRael,
If the little More Power gives you a buzz, the ZOTL will melt your brain.

"Dude, you're gettin' a ZOTL".
cool.gif

markl

Feb 15, 2002 at 5:21 AM Post #5 of 45
It would be extremely difficult for me now to go without crossfeed (my experience is pretty much with HeadRoom's crossfeed only -- I used the Corda, but only very briefly at the Detroit show).

Though crossfeed doesn't take the image out of my head, it does make listening far more natural to me than without it.

I never thought I'd buy into the use of crossfeed until I actually received my Max and started using it.

Feb 15, 2002 at 5:28 AM Post #6 of 45
It would be interesting if you could compare the Corda's variable crossfeed to the HeadRoom models. I'm hooked on it too. Nice as Jan is, I doubt he'd go for it.

I know you're not ready to say much about the W2002/Little combo, but I gather you like it so far. I hope so, 'cause I don't want to do the amp thing again--at least not right away.

Feb 15, 2002 at 5:31 AM Post #7 of 45
I'm the outdoor type, but I'm extremely laid back during school/winter.
biggrin.gif

I use the crossfeed on HeadRoom Supreme when listening to fatiguing songs/albums with a lot of panning and dynamic jumps. It also helps reduce the effects of clipping. So for me, the use of crossfeed is for easier listening (both on ears and brain). I find it collapses the soundstage. Since my home headphone rig is computer based (cd-rom (s/pdif) - 24bit/96khz dac (sound card) - ASL MG Head DT - Sennheiser HD600), I've done some experimenting with software tweaking. I've recently run into a plug-in for Winamp (mp3 + multipurpose media player) that blew me away. It's a room simulator that has stereo widening (WIDE soundstage
eek.gif
), even has damping and room delay effects. Come to think of it, I can't believe I didn't post this little $30 tweak in the single most greatest improvement thread. Actually sounds like you're listening to speakers, kewlness and enjoyment factor sky rockets!

To find out more about it, go here and look under "Playback Software": http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...&threadid=7348

Could you describe what is it about the HeadRoom amp that makes you get butterflies? Is it just the crossfeed? Just a special chemistry? I've run into some equipment that "clicked", but never found out what they were (what the actual equipment was, or what was about it that made me go "oooohhhhhh, me like").

Feb 15, 2002 at 7:15 AM Post #10 of 45
Quote:

I wasnt using an equalizer to fix a problem specific to one headphone-- I was trying to make the experience more enjoyable with all my headphones.

Big mistake, that--every headphone needs its own special treatment. The effect you can get get by trying to spice up your music for whatever equipment you're using and the effect you can get by customizing for a specific set is worlds apart
smily_headphones1.gif

I suppose this is an evil specific to hardware EQs without memory settings--they encourage you to do the former instead of the latter
eek.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Feb 15, 2002 at 9:17 AM Post #11 of 45
Good point Joe. I use iTunes as my audio player, and I really like being able to create seperate EQs for different headphones. In the absence of a nice amp it's great to be able to trim/improve problem areas with headphones. With EQ I can take off some of the treble bite from my DT231, and I can add some more heft to the HD565 bass, and adjust the mids for the AHD950. Generally though I try not to change the sound too dramatically. Some minor bass and treble adjustments, and usually a warmer midrange, but nothing that drastically changes the headphone's signature sound. Actually I've got multiple eq's up for each headphone, and I'm usually constantly fine tuning them so they sound the best over a wide variety of music.

Feb 15, 2002 at 9:29 AM Post #12 of 45
That's the spirit!
biggrin.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
Do get an amp too
smily_headphones1.gif

Now if only there is software that would do what the HeadRoom processor does...

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Feb 15, 2002 at 11:06 AM Post #13 of 45
Quote:

Originally posted by Joe Bloggs
Do get an amp too
smily_headphones1.gif

As soon as I have some money that isn't already going towards rent, bills, or other necessary things...
wink.gif
. Not that I haven't been very tempted to use a credit card and finally bring myself into the world of amps, but I knew that if I was going to go for an amp I'd have to go for at least a MGHeadDT or something of similar quality/price, and I've been trying to reduce my balances (rather unsuccessfully). If JMT took credit cards I might consider...

Bills suck.
biggrin.gif

Feb 15, 2002 at 12:35 PM Post #14 of 45
Quote:

Now if only there is software that would do what the HeadRoom processor does...

I have no experience with crossfeed but have tried various virtualizers like
DFX, Izotope Ozone and Dolby Headphone.
Out of all these I found the dolby headphone to be the most natural and convincing in imaging ( http://www.lake.com )

infact it has grown upon me so much that these days I can barely listen to my cans without it.
There are a few short comings fo DH IMHO
its not able to provide muct directionality to the bass frequencies.
and in the DH3 mode it sonds to detached or artificial.
Yeah one more issue...
DH as of now comes only as a plugin for MusicMatch and Real Player both of which I feel are inferior to winamp at music reproduction but its worth giving a try if you are looking for more 3D imaging than headphones can provide
cheers
smily_headphones1.gif

RawHit

Feb 15, 2002 at 4:30 PM Post #15 of 45
Quote:

Originally posted by M Rael
I find that the HeadRoom process does an even better job, and it makes the equalizer redundant. Its more of a complete solution to the incompatibility problem, because it deals not just with frequency (EQ) and not just with delay (Corda/Wheatfield).. it does both. And it does them in a pretty technical way, based on serious research.

I think you're way off the mark, Mark. The Corda's crossfeed system is far from being just a delay. It's at least as sophisticated as HeadRoom's and offers three selectable levels of crossfeed. Jan didn't just fall off the proverbial turnip wagon. The man is a PhD in physics (I believe) and the Corda is an excellent product.

This is from the Meier Audio site:

In principle, digital soundprocessors can simulate all the mechanisms for directional listening but the results are, thus far, not very satisfactory. In particular, pinnae-reflections are very complex and listener-specific and impossible to simulate accurately.

Fortunately, the mean directional information is provided by the time delay and level of attenuation of the sounds that reaches the opposite ear. The CORDA HEADAMP can electronically simulate this process and, with appropriate attenuation and delay, add some of the right audiosignal to the left channel and vice -versa. This considerably reduces the adverse symptoms of headphone listening.

A unique feature of the crossfeed circuitry of the CORDA HEADAMP is that it "recognizes" the virtual positions of the instruments and singers in a recording. The sound of an instrument in the middle of the soundstage will be equally present in both audio-channels and isn't given any crossfeed. A crossfeed signal is only generated for instruments that are not placed at the center. The more off-center the instrument is placed, the stronger the crossfeed and the longer its delay. This feature is called "natural crossfeed".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back