Life Sucks Right Now (Rant Warning)
May 31, 2007 at 6:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

roastpuff

Headphoneus Supremus
Currently, I'm a freshman at UBC who has just finished my first year... in Faculty of Arts and trying to get into the Sauder School of Business (Commerce Faculty).

I'm re-taking Math 184 as a summer (6-week) course so I can transfer into Sauder - I have everything else needed, though my macro-econ scores aren't the hottest around. I'm horrible with math and I've been taking cold medication for the past two weeks thanks to a super-nasty flu bug. A bad combo - I'm now antsy and unable to sit down and concentrate.

My second (of four) midterm just got returned, and I failed. I know I failed my third midterm already because I screwed up in preparing for it (due to lack of preparation and being sick). I need roughly an 80% average in this math course to guarantee my entry into Sauder (in order to bring up my core [math, English, econ] average) and this failure makes it really hard to do - I would need roughly an 85% score on my fourth midterm, and another 85% average or so on my final test. This is almost impossible, due to my inconsistent ability with math/calculus. (First midterm was 88% - the highest I've ever scored in a university-level math course.)

I think I just wasted money, time, and my last opportunity to transfer into Sauder. Either I waste another year in pre-Commerce prep, or I move onto another faculty and try for a LLB, which was the plan after commerce. Or... I don't know.

I feel like utter crap. I don't even know what I really want to do in life - it's a rather vague direction that I'm following by heading into Commerce (I want to do MIS as my major) but I have no real specific goal. This feeling of adriftness is really unsettling to me - I'm just floating, and I hate the feeling.

I wish I had a user's manual for life.
frown.gif

May 31, 2007 at 6:52 AM Post #2 of 15
I'm in a similar boat. I know what I enjoy but as a job it seems like a really boring field and to me, even something fun becomes less fun if you have to do it for a living. Try and avoid expanding the 'I have no idea what I want to for a job' thoughts into more 'meaning of life' territory. It makes you feel worse.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 31, 2007 at 7:06 AM Post #3 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by roastpuff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wish I had a user's manual for life.
frown.gif

If you're anything like me and most of the people I know, you probably wouldn't read it anyway.

The thing is, you really need to find your own path in life. It's never easy, but the journey is more important than the destination. I know that sounds pretty corny, and it's probably the last thing you want to hear at a time like this, but there is something to be learned from every experience, even the unpleasant and frustrating ones.

Don't be too hard on yourself, or at least not needlessly hard on yourself. Take a look inside, but don't dwell there. Find a way forward that is positive and gets you excited about what you're doing. The key as you make transitions in your life is to be running toward something rather than away from something.

If one thing hasn't worked out the way you had hoped it would, that doesn't mean that the next thing won't work out. In fact, it usually works out twice as well as you could have imagined so long as you keep working hard and believing in yourself.

May 31, 2007 at 7:39 AM Post #4 of 15
that sucks to hear man, maybe you can take some exam prep classes? Or borrow notes from someone who has passed the course? I know how you feel about drifting though. I feel like I was forced into college and that I'm doing this degree cause its the right thing to do. Honestly I would perfer just to get some easy 2 year degree and get into the working world. I see my friends who are out of highschool and have their own apartments, cars, bikes etc and I'm jealous.

May 31, 2007 at 8:05 AM Post #5 of 15
keep going. i have crappy grades and a buttload of pre-medical activities, but i don't think any medical school will accept me. and i don't even think i want to enter the medical field. oh, and i'm already 90% done with my major requirements too =(

May 31, 2007 at 8:18 AM Post #6 of 15
Maybe you need a break. I remember I was overwhelmed my first year of college and ended up failing all my classes, so I took a break, got to enjoy life a bit and came back with the burning desire to learn and succeed. As dumb as I am, I ended up graduating with honors. No need to stress over a litte mishap, take some time off and have some fun, it'll all come to you in time. Wish ya luck.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 31, 2007 at 12:57 PM Post #9 of 15
A user manual for life would get about as much use as the Windows XP manual. Almost none - except for when you get into a bind.

Most of us understand your rant and your situation - it's a surprisingly common one.

Depending on your view, life is either full of disappointment or full of wonderful unplanned learning opportunities - it's your choice how you view them. Learn to ride the waves of life.

From what you have said, you are already on a more planned path than 99% of people. You'll find your answer soon enough.

Best of luck.

May 31, 2007 at 2:01 PM Post #10 of 15
I failed a lot of classes in college. But finally did finish. College, IMO, is one of the most unpleasant experiences. Life after college for me is so much better.

May 31, 2007 at 2:28 PM Post #11 of 15
Dude regardless of how bad things look - You've got it made.

I know people that are terminally ill. A friend just lost their Mother. I could go on and on but wake up- you have the world before you and you can chose what to do. Your future's an open book waiting for you to chose where to go and what to do.

These are mere speed bumps on the road of life and believe me life will deal you some really bad cards when you least expect it and are unprepared.

Turn Adversity into Opportunity. I went through a living hell for the last 3 years and half way through I'd lost a lot of weight because of all the stress. One day I decided to take advantage of the "opportunity" the weight loss presented and started working out and got into shape- it helped me deal with the situation and improved my health 10 fold. Showing a fighting spirit, taking charge of one aspect of my life and showing determination helped the situation and made it bearable.

Mistakes are valuable if you learn from them. Find the hidden opportunity that your situation has presented and take advantage of it.

Mitch

May 31, 2007 at 2:48 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by braillediver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dude regardless of how bad things look - You've got it made.

I know people that are terminally ill. A friend just lost their Mother. I could go on and on but wake up- you have the world before you and you can chose what to do. Your future's an open book waiting for you to chose where to go and what to do.

These are mere speed bumps on the road of life and believe me life will deal you some really bad cards when you least expect it and are unprepared.

Turn Adversity into Opportunity. I went through a living hell for the last 3 years and half way through I'd lost a lot of weight because of all the stress. One day I decided to take advantage of the "opportunity" the weight loss presented and started working out and got into shape- it helped me deal with the situation and improved my health 10 fold. Showing a fighting spirit, taking charge of one aspect of my life and showing determination helped the situation and made it bearable.

Mistakes are valuable if you learn from them. Find the hidden opportunity that your situation has presented and take advantage of it.

Mitch

Very well said.

I will ad that math is something that if you go at it with a positive attitude instead of "I can't do it" you will do better. Take an step at a time, get a tutor. Heck ask the prof for any suggestions to do better, once a prof knows you are trying your best he/she will find ways to help you. Best of luck and smile, you have it made.

May 31, 2007 at 2:53 PM Post #13 of 15
Hey Roast,

I was in the same boat as you, twenty years ago. I was at York and had just completed my first year of general nothingness.

Anyway, I took my second year off and worked for a bit before doing some extensive travelling around Europe.

I really learned a lot that year. Probably much more than had I stayed in school. So when I did decide to go back to school, I was more focussed and had a much better idea of what I wanted to do.

Not saying that this is what you should do. However, don't limit yourself, and don't be in a rush. There are a lot of options open to you at your age. As Wmcmanus so eloquently put it, the journey is far more important than the destination.

May 31, 2007 at 11:26 PM Post #14 of 15
I'm going on 46 and I don't know what the hell I want to do with my life either! My NYU degree in Communications has proved to be useless these days, but that's because I worked in TV for many years, and I grew to hate it. Then I tried I.T. Marketing, which I was excellent at, but hated that too. Then I was a rep for many digital artists, but the well ran dry. Now i'm married to a girl who owns a diner (think 'My Big Fat Greek Wedding'!), and I barely get to see her (her schedule is insane... 7 days a week). I am a stay-at-home dad (full time), for our 22 month old daughter (the love of my life!)! I've been doing this since she was born, and let me tell you, it is the hardest, most challenging job i've EVER had, and i've had many! My advice to you is choose a major that is in demand, that you know you will like. And do anything to get your foot in the door! Best of luck.

Jun 1, 2007 at 12:24 AM Post #15 of 15
just remember, a bachelor's degree is not as important in terms of which school you got it from. go out there and grab some working experience. that is MUCH more valuable than the education. when i got out of college (a lesser known one), i was competing with students from USC, UCLA, Berkeley, all well regarded schools... and i actually landed jobs over those grads...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back