Life of a CD-R/ Quality of reordings etc...
Sep 28, 2010 at 3:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Pachikara

New Head-Fier
When  I rip a Studio recorded CD to a CD-R using Apple Loss less encoder,

1. Is the sound quality EXACTLY the same as the original CD? (I cant tell the difference by ear, though)
2. How long these CDs last with the same quality? would the sound quality diminishes as time goes by  or  with each playing? (I know the sound quality diminishes slowly in cassette tapes because of the wear and tear)
3. Even though it can be burned using 24 X, if i use lesser speed , say 2 x,   would the sound quality be better?

thanks in advance.

Sep 28, 2010 at 3:11 PM Post #2 of 6
1. Assuming all went well, Yes (to test this burn an album to CD-R then rerip it and compared .wavs (make checksums) from first and second rips)
2. Depends on the brand of CD, treated well, for many many years.  In my experience the reflective backing on a CDr has a nasty habbit of getting too-easily scratched off after a while :/ A friend of mine said she played a cd (retail album) so many times that it had a burn mark on it, and it really did! god knows how :/ But amount played shouldn't affect it assuming you don't have an oven for a CD player like she did.

oh CD is vastly more durable than a cassette tape
biggrin.gif

Sep 28, 2010 at 5:09 PM Post #3 of 6

Quote:
When  I rip a Studio recorded CD to a CD-R using Apple Loss less encoder,

1. Is the sound quality EXACTLY the same as the original CD? (I cant tell the difference by ear, though)

Given everything even across the board with the rip (no errors, crc etc.) as google..stated) then yes, should be the same.

2. How long these CDs last with the same quality? would the sound quality diminishes as time goes by  or  with each playing? (I know the sound quality diminishes slowly in cassette tapes because of the wear and tear)

I usually listen to an original CD for a little bit, rip them and then keep them stored and play my rips (burned copy, FLAC etc.).  In reference to CD-Rs for the last few years I have been using Taiyo Yuden and have never purchased another brand.  Great stuff.

3. Even though it can be burned using 24 X, if i use lesser speed , say 2 x,   would the sound quality be better?

If the rip is accurate, is does not matter what speed is used for ripping.  That goes for burning as well.  As long as your drive can handle it, the quality is not diminshed.

thanks in advance.

Sep 28, 2010 at 5:12 PM Post #4 of 6
^ Ditto. I usually store the original after I rip it into lossless. If you burn a cd from the lossless rip, it will sound the same and can be easily burned again if something happens to the first burned disk
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 28, 2010 at 5:59 PM Post #5 of 6

1. if you make a proper EAC rip w/ a .cue file and measuring pregaps, yes

2. it depends on the dye stability and burn quality.

3. A good rule of thumb is to burn at half the rated speed of any given media. Too slow and the BLER rates will increase, too fast and the PI/PIF rates will increase.

Ideally you want to buy a big batch of recordable media, burn sample discs at different speeds and check their errors rates on a PC using disc quality check software such as KProbe2/DVDInfoPro. Liteon and Plextor burners are recommended for this kind of job, even though a $30 burner is not very accurate for this compared to real pro testing gear...but it's still better than nothing.

too high of a BLER can make a CDP unhappy...CD's sent from premastering to be turned into glassmasters have very drastic max. BLER rates.

Sep 29, 2010 at 12:14 AM Post #6 of 6
A bad CD-R could result in excessive error checks which has a possibility of harming the output quality.  Personally I think you are better off just using the lossless files on your computer unless you lack the proper method of transport.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back