Life, Love, and the pursuit of Gradoness
Jan 28, 2007 at 7:07 AM Post #16 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gil Schwartzman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Then, maybe an amp, though I really do like my Headfive. I have, however, been eyeing the GS-1. Would that make for a better match with the 580? I know the headfive isn't seen as a good match for the 580, even though I don't find a problem with the combo.

The GS-1 is supposed to be really good for the HD580: very neutral and powerful. I was recommended that, the HR-2, and Single Power. I wound up with the Single Power, which I would recommend if you want to try tubes. Otherwise, the GS-1 is supposed to be neutral and work well with a lot of headphones.

Jan 28, 2007 at 7:14 AM Post #18 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davesrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The GS-1 is supposed to be really good for the HD580: very neutral and powerful. I was recommended that, the HR-2, and Single Power. I wound up with the Single Power, which I would recommend if you want to try tubes. Otherwise, the GS-1 is supposed to be neutral and work well with a lot of headphones.

Well, I would like to try tubes, but at the same time, something that I sort of need is multiple inputs. It's one of the things that really turned me onto the GS-1. The SingplePower doesn't appear to have that. Seems like a stupid deciding factor, but it would make my life easier.

EDIT: More looking, and it appears that is actually an option. Another thing, however, that I am not hugely fond of, is the looks. Again, not that that should be a huge deciding factor, but I have a setup comprised of all brushed silver equipment, and I really do like the look. I'd like to stick with it if I could.

Jan 28, 2007 at 7:17 AM Post #19 of 24
I am having the same thing happening to me. I thought I was a grado fan from how much I enjoyed my RS-1, MS-Pro and PS-1, but nowadays I just go back to listen the HD600 (stock) and K501 more than everything else. The relax presentation of the HD600 and K501 just blow me away at the moment.

Like what kramer said, sonic preferences tend to change over time.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 28, 2007 at 7:19 AM Post #20 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gil Schwartzman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I would like to try tubes, but at the same time, something that I sort of need is multiple inputs. It's one of the things that really turned me onto the GS-1. The SingplePower doesn't appear to have that. Seems like a stupid deciding factor, but it would make my life easier.

EDIT: More looking, and it appears that is actually an option. Another thing, however, that I am not hugely fond of, is the looks. Again, not that that should be a huge deciding factor, but I have a setup comprised of all brushed silver equipment, and I really do like the look. I'd like to stick with it if I could.

lets trade headphone for a bit, i think you need my 325i's and my millet

ill take your 225's and your headfive

Jan 28, 2007 at 7:24 AM Post #21 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by blinx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lets trade headphone for a bit, i think you need my 325i's and my millet

ill take your 225's and your headfive

:\

I don't even have an address right now. Err... I suppose I do, but I have no idea what it is
tongue.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by blinx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if you listened to hardcore music viper, then you'd understand why grado's kick the **** outta ****.

my beyers sound bad in really really fast death metal

Broham... not now... not ever. Ain't gunna happen.

Oh, and don't call me Viper here
icon10.gif

Jan 28, 2007 at 9:13 AM Post #22 of 24
I recently came back from my first meet and got to hear some pretty nice set ups.

I started my grado love affair with SR-125's. From then i pretty much jumped to the RS-2's after auditioning all the Grado's and discovering a used pair for real cheap. Anyways, I was able to try balanced HD650's, regular HD600's, K701, DT770, GS1000, HE60, etc etc all running off of a B-52 where applicable.

I've got to say, I'm very happy with my purchase. While there were certainly ones I preferred over mine, for the price I am very satisfied. I know what I found lacking in the lower end grados (80,125) was bass as well as the quality of it. The RS-2's were a significant improvement in my opinion in that respect and fit the bill just right.

I would try to find someone or a shop in your area that has RS-2's you could audition as well as the higher end Sennheisers. Maybe make a quick post in the forums asking for any store suggestions in your area or maybe a regional meet. I'm sure someone would be glad to help you. That is how I was able to find mine.

I noticed you live in Illinois, if you ever pass through Ann Arbor, MI send me a message and I'd be glad to let you audition my RS-2's.

Feb 9, 2007 at 5:17 AM Post #23 of 24
Well, I suppose I'll update this. $250 later, I am the proud owned of MS-2i's. I sold my SR-225, so it was really only $100 to make the move. I am happy with the decision. The MS-2 sounds great. However, I still like my Senn's more.

Bottom line is, the MS-2 seem to really shine with a well recorded rock album, and everything else, they just sound sorta plain jane. The Senn's don't excel so much with the good stuff, but aren't as revealing on the worse stuff. They are more comfy too. Both will get good use though, they each have their own time and place.

So, what's next on the chopping block? A DAC, A CIAUDIO VDA-2 to be specific. Then, a GS-1. Then, who knows. Probably RS-1's. I don't see myself getting an HD650. If the HD700 truly is around the corner... thats my next Senn.

Feb 9, 2007 at 11:31 AM Post #24 of 24
Well; I guess I'm sort of in the same boat. I'm really fond of my MS2i for what they do best, but my HD600s will be getting here in a few days and it will be very interesting indeed to view the outcome.

Yup, hopefully each in their own time and place!
smily_headphones1.gif
600smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back