Life, Love, and the pursuit of Gradoness
Jan 28, 2007 at 4:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Gil Schwartzman

500+ Head-Fier
It would seem I have reached a crossroads in my headphone experience. I was blindsided, if you will. When this all started, I was enticed by the Grado sound from the beginning. My SR225's were fantastic, I loved every bit of them. I thought I was a Grado lover. I wanted them all.

Well, thats how I felt for a few months anyways. For christmas, I got the first chance to spread my wings. I got a pair of HD580's. Well, I was just as captivated by them as the first time I heard my Grado's. I really, truly love them. To the point where, I don't use my 225 much at all any more. I use the A700's mostly for gaming, but sometimes use the 580 for that also, and for music, I really tend to go for the 580's almost all the time. They sound great, and are certainly much more comfortable, which was always my one beef with Grado's to begin with.

These days, I feel like when I grab the Grado's, its only because I feel like I should be using them. For the longest time, I called myself a Grado guy... so shouldn't I be listening to my Grado's the most. That's what I tell myself anyways. My entire upgrade path... it's largely based around Grado's. Just look at my sig, you'll see, I always thought I wanted several pairs of Grado's. I wanted to hear the different sounds, have a few different pairs. But now, I don't know what I want. At this point, I've got the lower end cans covered. No matter which direction I go, it's something expensive from here on it. Whichever path I take, I want it to be the right one. I'm far from loaded... I can't just get something to find its not for me, and I don't have anywhere to demo any of this stuff.

Even as I write this, I think to myself... no... your a Grado guy. But, if I am a Grado guy, why am I listening to my 580's right now? I've got a few source upgrades to take care of first, but then I am hitting the cans again? I've wanted an MS2 for a long time, but now that I think about it... is that what I should get. Or would I be better off with an HD650? Or should I hang with Grado a bit until a new high end Senn comes out? Anyone else been in a dilemma like this?

Jan 28, 2007 at 4:49 AM Post #2 of 24
Sonic preferences tend to change over time. Go back and read some of your older threads. Some of mine are SHOCKING... "Wow, who wrote that!!???"

So far Grados are my primary can, followed by a Koss A250.

Jan 28, 2007 at 4:53 AM Post #3 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sonic preferences tend to change over time. Go back and read some of your older threads. Some of mine are SHOCKING... "Wow, who wrote that!!???"

So far Grados are my primary can, followed by a Koss A250.

Actually, I have done that. I got my A700's a few days before my SR225.. and I thought they were the bee's knee's for music when I first got them. Now, I don't use them for music at all. For gaming, they are great. For music, they come off. Even if I am gaming and listening to music at the same time, I wear something else.

Though, I'd imagine any threads about my Grado's wouldn't change. I still love them, but I think they may have been trumped.

Jan 28, 2007 at 4:58 AM Post #4 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gil Schwartzman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, I have done that. I got my A700's a few days before my SR225.. and I thought they were the bee's knee's for music when I first got them. Now, I don't use them for music at all. For gaming, they are great. For music, they come off. Even if I am gaming and listening to music at the same time, I wear something else.

Though, I'd imagine any threads about my Grado's wouldn't change. I still love them, but I think they may have been trumped.

Just read your sig... actually a modded HD580 with 600 grilles, 650 cable and hole cut out of the foam sheet is a pretty lively-kicking presentation.

Jan 28, 2007 at 5:07 AM Post #5 of 24
I had the same thing happening to me. I thought I was a grado guy from how much I enjoyed my 225s but after the senn hd580s came, my grados arent being used alot. I still prefer my grados for some types of music but overall I think I might have to choose the 580s.

Jan 28, 2007 at 5:11 AM Post #6 of 24
smily_headphones1.gif
same here. I started with the SR80, and just less than 5 months i bought an AKG K701. Hardly touch the Grado anymore.

- Han

Jan 28, 2007 at 5:13 AM Post #7 of 24
I used to be the same as you. I loved my SR-60s and thought that Grados were just the best thing ever. I was all set to get a SR225 and eventually an RS-1. I was convinced that Sennheisers were dark and not worth buying. Then I got my HD650. Wow! That was an eye-opener. Very soon, I had sold my SR-60s, and I haven't looked back.

The modded HD580 you have is pretty damn good as it is, but perhaps someday you should go HD650 as well.

Jan 28, 2007 at 5:33 AM Post #9 of 24
Now would be a terrible time to make a purchase. No matter what you purchase, you will have buyer's remorse. I say take things slowly. The opportunity will eventually present itself to where you can audition and make an informed choice and then be happier. Until then, enjoy what you have.

You live in Illinois? I imagine Chicago has some pretty decent stores.

Jan 28, 2007 at 5:42 AM Post #10 of 24
Welcome to the Sennheiser camp guys
580smile.gif
580smile.gif
The nice thing about Senns is that they upgrade really well.

As for advise Gil, if you're liking the HD580s that much, how about just continuing to enjoy them? If you find you want them to be more aggressive or impactful, then they're cans that are ripe for scaling up with source upgrades. Humbly, after my Senns, the Grado 325i is my next favorite headphone. Compared to some of my Senns, well they just pale in comparison to everything. Except their undo coloration in details make them nice for certain rock genres (especially poorly mastered ones that are compressed). So a Grado is a good 2nd can for a Sennheiser IMHO.

Jan 28, 2007 at 6:21 AM Post #12 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by giga /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Damn I think I'm regretting purchasing my SR60s instead of the 580 after these replies.

They're only a week old too--will have to sell em off.
frown.gif

It would be a mistake to sell your SR60. Keep it and save up for the 580. You will appreciate the variety.

Jan 28, 2007 at 6:27 AM Post #13 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by giga /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Damn I think I'm regretting purchasing my SR60s instead of the 580 after these replies.

They're only a week old too--will have to sell em off.
frown.gif

Well, just because he prefers the 580 to his 225 doesn't mean you will prefer the Senn sound over the Grado too. People are different, which is why some choose to blow their savings on RS2s and RS1s, while others blow it all on W5000s, HD650s + 200 buck cables, etc
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 28, 2007 at 7:01 AM Post #14 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by BrookR1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now would be a terrible time to make a purchase. No matter what you purchase, you will have buyer's remorse. I say take things slowly. The opportunity will eventually present itself to where you can audition and make an informed choice and then be happier. Until then, enjoy what you have.

You live in Illinois? I imagine Chicago has some pretty decent stores.

I am not in IL anymore. (Technically, right now, I am in a truck stop, enjoying there wifi). I am in the process of a move to Texas. I will be rather close to Houstan, maybe that will provide a better scene... but I didn't find much up in IL. I was near chicago, but far enough away that an hi-fi shops where I could demo would be a PITA to get to.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davesrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Welcome to the Sennheiser camp guys
580smile.gif
580smile.gif
The nice thing about Senns is that they upgrade really well.

As for advise Gil, if you're liking the HD580s that much, how about just continuing to enjoy them? If you find you want them to be more aggressive or impactful, then they're cans that are ripe for scaling up with source upgrades. Humbly, after my Senns, the Grado 325i is my next favorite headphone. Compared to some of my Senns, well they just pale in comparison to everything. Except their undo coloration in details make them nice for certain rock genres (especially poorly mastered ones that are compressed). So a Grado is a good 2nd can for a Sennheiser IMHO.

Source upgrades are definitely next on the agenda. I am in the market for a DAC (I really like the look of the Crystal DAC, but there isn't much info on it). That will be next. Then, maybe an amp, though I really do like my Headfive. I have, however, been eyeing the GS-1. Would that make for a better match with the 580? I know the headfive isn't seen as a good match for the 580, even though I don't find a problem with the combo.

Jan 28, 2007 at 7:05 AM Post #15 of 24
Your 580's will "scale up" real nicely. Instead of thinking about changing headphones, put the money towards better amplification. You'll be impressed on how the 580's respond. The 580's are capable of "world class" performance, if surrounded by the right gear.

- augustwest

Users who are viewing this thread

Back