Life/Career Advice?
Mar 5, 2004 at 5:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

uosux

100+ Head-Fier
I'm just about to enter college, and I am now fully realizing that I will be beginning 'the first day of the rest of my life' so to speak. While I am pretty happy with my considerations, I was wondering what your takes were. I am planning to double major in english literature and journalism; I am also definately considering moving farther up the educational ladder in the English field too. I've given some thought to editing, and the idea of working for a publisher of some sort is quite appealing. My question is, what would you recomend for careers in this field? Is there a related field that I'm not aware of? Does anyone else have experience in these areas? Thanks.

Mar 5, 2004 at 1:41 PM Post #3 of 18
One recommendation that I would make since you are just starting college is to take a few courses in areas outside of your major. Use this time to explore business, art, music, etc. I have always thought that doing this make you a much more rounded person and prepares you for what ever path you choose later on. Good Luck

Mar 5, 2004 at 2:08 PM Post #4 of 18
Ist thing as an English major is learn to spell "definitely". Just teasing.
It's all about the journey. I spent 5 yrs as an undergrad in French Lit (one year in France) and 2 yrs in Grad school. It'll likely be the most memorable time in your life. For the first 2 yrs, I had no idea what my major would be. I agree w/ john_jcb 100%. Don't be afraid to try different disciplines.
Also, my #1 recommendation to you as an English major: Figure out a way to spend a year abroad at a British university. You may think you can't swing it for whatever reason ($, girlfriend ties, whatever) but make it happen. You'll never regret it.
Last advice. It won't matter too much what classes you take. Just don't do it halfway. I wasted time just squeaking through some classes because I allowed myself to get distracted w/ partying, girls, etc. When I finally regained focus, I regretted not having profitted from every opportunity. This is the worst kind of regret. If something is worth doing, it's worth doing it with all your energy. You're entering a wonderful time. I envy you!
CPW

Mar 5, 2004 at 3:52 PM Post #5 of 18
I agree with both John and Cpw. Taking classes in other fields not only makes you a rounder person, it might also change your thoughts about what you want to study.

Don't be afraid to switch majors or form your own curriculum. Chances are your thoughts about career possibilities will change more than once while in college.

Try to maintain a balance between classes you are interested in and classes that you think are pragmatic and useful in the real world.

For instance, I double majored in history and economics. My passion is in history. But let me tell you, to date, my economics training has done much more getting me a job than my history major (No offense to historians out there... in a perfect world, I would love to be a historian too
biggrin.gif
). But don't just pick a major because of earning potential. The key word is "balance."

Finally, regardless of the major you choose, try your best to DO WELL in every class. Unless you are a genius, this might mean being strategic in choosing your classes. Balance every semester with a range of tough and easy classes. Also, don't get carried away and party too much. A strong GPA is very important if you want to get into graduate school. A strong GPA would also enhance your chances getting a job if you happen to graduate during a slow economy.

Good luck. And have fun in college!

smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 5, 2004 at 6:00 PM Post #6 of 18
supposedly there is a book which will test your abilities (and personality) and come up with fields that you may excell at. since you are leaning towards journalism, have you always had an interest in this field (writing short stories, writing for the school paper, etc.)? are you a prodigious and voracious reader? have you worked for a publisher or kinkos? can you write and read technical manuals? or are you more comfortable with prose? do you have artisitic talent? can your field be merged with your hobbies? do you like plays? can you make sense of TV scripts? are you a comedic, fantasy or dramatic writer? are you a good proof reader?

what careers are likely to be in demand 4 years from now? it IS all about the money. start saving for your retiremnet right away. the years will go faster if you do (work) what you love doing.

have you done an assessment of your abilities? have you gone to a career counselor? have you visited your local library? have your scoured the 'net?

Mar 5, 2004 at 6:43 PM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by wallijonn
supposedly there is a book which will test your abilities (and personality) and come up with fields that you may excell at.

what careers are likely to be in demand 4 years from now? it IS all about the money. start saving for your retiremnet right away. the years will go faster if you do (work) what you love doing.

have you done an assessment of your abilities? have you gone to a career counselor? have you visited your local library? have your scoured the 'net?

I'm usually skeptical of such books. There is no hard and fast formula for determing a person's "ideal" career. Chances are most people will change their careers at least once during their lifetime. And many probably never have an "ideal" career.

Let's not overwhelm our friend here. Its ok to have no idea what you want out of life. Just be sure to distinguish this from escapism or laziness.

I think much of life is really a product of luck and coincidences. Over-zealous plannings is often a waste of time. You want to do some planning, but don't let it bother you too much.

Mar 5, 2004 at 6:55 PM Post #8 of 18
yeah! A LIT MAJOR! WOOHOO! ROCKON BROTHER!!

here's a lil advice i took from Pyndar (Pindar if you're so obliged)

"O my soul, do not aspire to immortal life, but exhaust the limits of the possible"

i originally saw that in the "Myth of Sissyphus" by Camus but then i started reading Pindar who is awesome!

but yeah, that's the advice i'm going with now. my college charges a fat amount for tuition etc. (i'm talkin 30G's here) and i am way the hell in debt (so what am i doing at headfi!?!?!?)

but man, i can't say i've regretted it so far. i'm taking a class with this incredible professor, she wrote this amazing book called "The Lexicon of Terror"
it's all about argentina, oh god, it's awesome

i've never been so inspired as i am now. College is the time to forget about stuff like "what ami gonna eat? where will i sleep? how will i support myself"

so dive deep!

Mar 5, 2004 at 6:59 PM Post #9 of 18
My advice is to not seek your life/career advice on a headphone site.

Mar 5, 2004 at 7:17 PM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by tom hankins
My advice is to not seek your life/career advice on a headphone site.

I was going to say the same thing, even after only reading the thread title..

Mar 5, 2004 at 7:49 PM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by fiddler
I was going to say the same thing, even after only reading the thread title..

But we do get a lot of highly educated people and university students here so it might not be a bad idea. Surely it's better here than, say, slashdot. Still, I'd think a career of violist would be nice, I actually remember seeing your name on a TO newspaper website.

Mar 5, 2004 at 8:27 PM Post #12 of 18
Go do some research on Anthony Robbins' products especially Personal Power II: The Driving Force, Get the Edge, and The Time of Your Life programs. I'm not kidding: those "self-help" programs helped me transform myself and resulted in two undergraduate degrees despite the massive amount of time, expenses, and frustrations I endured to get them under my belt as well as financial discipline that has helped me keep my head above water in this sometimes dangerously expensive addiction / hobby: music and HI-FI audio equipment.

Mar 5, 2004 at 8:52 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by swalker
Still, I'd think a career of violist would be nice, I actually remember seeing your name on a TO newspaper website.

Me? Whoa, really? Musta been a little while back.

But yeah, I'm pretty serious about the violin thing.
smily_headphones1.gif
(BTW, I will not forgive you for confusing me with a violist...
wink.gif
)

My career choice is certainly not standard... but hey, what can I say. I basically chose this path 'cause it's simply what I love, and I seemed to have a touch of natural ability to help me along the way. I guess I'm lucky that I found a path in life pretty early. It's another thing, though, to walk it. It's much, much harder to walk it.
biggrin.gif

Mar 5, 2004 at 9:18 PM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by fiddler
Me? Whoa, really? Musta been a little while back.

But yeah, I'm pretty serious about the violin thing.
smily_headphones1.gif
(BTW, I will not forgive you for confusing me with a violist...
wink.gif
)

My career choice is certainly not standard... but hey, what can I say. I basically chose this path 'cause it's simply what I love, and I seemed to have a touch of natural ability to help me along the way. I guess I'm lucky that I found a path in life pretty early. It's another thing, though, to walk it. It's much, much harder to walk it.
biggrin.gif

Oh shoot, I can't believe I mistyped that(still doesn't beat Lou's Ant Collage tho'
biggrin.gif
) Actually, I remember reading about you passing by on that website a while ago and realised it's Fiddler on head-fi later when I saw your name on your email address for your amp building business. Coincidence I guess.
wink.gif
But do consider yourself very very lucky. I used to play a bit of piano and know what it's like to trying to learn an instrument without the natural ability (or industriousness, patience, etc
redface.gif
)

And to the thread starter, try everything the univesity can offer. Take math and science courses to experiment. Even an accounting and see what it's like. The beauty of a liberal arts program is that it allows you to customize the degree.

Mar 5, 2004 at 9:27 PM Post #15 of 18
I hope it was a good review!

And yeah, funny coincidence.. Small world, I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back