Library Cans?
Jul 17, 2008 at 5:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

numberoneoppa

New Head-Fier
I do a bit of studying at the library and am looking to buy some headphones for listening to some music while at said library. I do not like in ear headphones, but I absolutely need the isolation offered by closed cans. I currently own a pair of ath-ad700 open cans and really dig the sound, but would like a tad more bass (which i hear is customary for closed cans). So, what I have in mind is a900s, and I do not want to go too much over this price point. Sound is coming directly out of an iPod, I may possibly pick up a cMoy. Also, I have spent time with hd-280s and was not too impressed by the sound, and the fit was just too tight for long periods of time. I listen to pop (japanese and korean - mostly female vocalists), classical, rock (punk, hardcore, metal), jazz, so much more, so an all arounder would be nice.

What do you guys think? I'd like to purchase the cans soon, so any help is really appreciated.

Jul 17, 2008 at 5:32 AM Post #2 of 27
Welcome to head-fi... Sorry about you wallet.
- My first welcome, now I can die happy...

Consider IEMs as an option, no leakage, low profile and easy to drive. I have Westone UM1's which are really comfortable and sound pretty good straight out of a player. If bass is your game Beyerdynamic DT700's are the premier closed headphone for ear bleeding bass.

Jul 17, 2008 at 5:53 AM Post #3 of 27
the bass on the beyerdynamics really isn't as bad as people say
its just presented in a different way

they're also some pretty comfy cans
so i do recommend the dt770

Jul 17, 2008 at 6:01 AM Post #4 of 27
Might try a set of Ultrasone Pro 750s.

Jul 17, 2008 at 6:21 AM Post #5 of 27
x2 on the IEM recommendation. They have the best isolation and the least amount of leakage. Once you get used to the in-ear fit they're great and you'll wish you got them sooner.

If you can wear earplugs comfortably then IEMs should be OK.

Jul 17, 2008 at 7:10 AM Post #6 of 27
IEMs are more portable, but I don't like them. It's worth toting around a full-size pair, unless you care what girls think
tongue.gif

Jul 17, 2008 at 7:26 AM Post #7 of 27
You might enjoy the Sony MDR-V6. I owned a pair for years and loved them until I found this place.
wink.gif
They still sound pretty good and have a lot of bang for the buck. They do alright out of an iPod, too.

One of the best things about them is that you can find them in retail electronics stores now and then. I don't know if you have a Fry's nearby, but they carry them. If you can find a retailer, you cn take your iPod in and give them a listen before you buy.

Jul 17, 2008 at 1:43 PM Post #9 of 27
correct me if im wrong, but aren't the 100s known to be better AND cheaper than the 200s?

Jul 17, 2008 at 2:06 PM Post #10 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuwy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
correct me if im wrong, but aren't the 100s known to be better AND cheaper than the 200s?

True, but the PX100's are open and leak sound which would likely make them a poor choice at the library.

The OP may also want to consider the Audio Technica portables for this, ATH-ES7 being the lower cost alternative or if you stretched the budget some the ATH-ESW9's are quite enjoyable...

Jul 17, 2008 at 4:28 PM Post #11 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by DaMavs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
True, but the PX100's are open and leak sound which would likely make them a poor choice at the library.

IMO, if you're listening loud enough to disturb other people, you're listening too loud. I've used open headphones in libraries, shared offices, etc and never had a complaint. With a few exceptions, I can hold my headphones 2 feet from my head and hear nothing with music playing at normal listening levels

Jul 17, 2008 at 6:41 PM Post #12 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMO, if you're listening loud enough to disturb other people, you're listening too loud. I've used open headphones in libraries, shared offices, etc and never had a complaint. With a few exceptions, I can hold my headphones 2 feet from my head and hear nothing with music playing at normal listening levels

I listen way louder than that, lets say that for a fact.

the audio-technica portables esw9s, do they provide decent isolation and are the comfortable over long time period? if so, I think i might go for them, otherwise, the dt770 is becoming more and more tempting.

thanks for help all so far!~

Jul 17, 2008 at 6:52 PM Post #13 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by numberoneoppa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the audio-technica portables esw9s, do they provide decent isolation and are the comfortable over long time period?

At the office, I've used the ESW9, Sony MDR-V7 & Senn 580s and the ESW9's isolate the best of the three. I can't say relative to other phones though. Generally I can hear there's a conversation going on, but need to turn off the music or take them off to hear any details which is about ideal for my setting. Some general awareness of my surroundings, but easy enough to ignore and concentrate on other things most of the time...

Comfort wise they are supra-aural so it likely depends on your ears/head. I've found them fine comfort wise, better than the 580s for me, but not as comfy as the Sony's. I can listen for several hours straight w/o issue, but everyone's different...

Jul 17, 2008 at 6:54 PM Post #14 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by numberoneoppa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I listen way louder than that, lets say that for a fact.

the audio-technica portables esw9s, do they provide decent isolation and are the comfortable over long time period? if so, I think i might go for them, otherwise, the dt770 is becoming more and more tempting.

thanks for help all so far!~

Then you'd better modify your listening habits, otherwise you'll suffer hearing loss for exposure to high SPL. Take care.

Other cans that would work well on a portable, sound quite well and offer good isolation are Sennheiser HD-25-1. Give them a try if you can. However I'm not sure you'll find them comfy over a long listening session.

Rgrds

Jul 17, 2008 at 6:58 PM Post #15 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif

In general I agree, but open phones can be a two way street as in noise comes IN as well as out. e.g. with the PX100's you may end up hearing more of the guy 10 feet over talking on his cell phone than you'd like. And if that causes you turn the music up even louder so you don't hear him...Well that's not good either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back