LG V60 ThinQ smartphone
Jul 6, 2020 at 1:33 AM Post #61 of 486
Very impressed with the V60 as a DAP and as a phone. 5000mAh battery is a big upgrade from my G8. Really wish phone companies bring back a physical FP reader. On screen FP is just inconvenient. Anyways, LG will continue to have may loyalty as long as they keep pumping out good quality DAC chips.

Jul 6, 2020 at 1:46 AM Post #62 of 486
One of the best DAPs but doesn't work with the Fiio Android app whatsoever :frowning2:.

Update: OKAY I FIXED IT... Just rejected the option to auto-read the files and it works now woot!

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2020 at 6:14 PM Post #63 of 486
Thanks for review! Maybe you did comparisons with any daps? Any differences with iems soundwise?

I have a v40 & owned a v30 for years before that. Originally I got the v30 to get off the dap hype train. The LG phones are great and for a few years I was happy to just use them instead of daps. They sound great & using the cable trick helps to increase power for harder to drive phones.

Eventually I was tempted back into daps when I found IEMs I liked and wanted more. I have a dx220 & fiio m7 as well as the v40. There is clear distance between the 220 & the v40. The v40 as good as it is can't compete with a dap of that level. It comes close for sure but they last 5-10% is what costs the money. I prefer the sound of the v40 to the m7 if that helps.

Jul 7, 2020 at 12:29 AM Post #64 of 486
I have a v40 & owned a v30 for years before that. Originally I got the v30 to get off the dap hype train. The LG phones are great and for a few years I was happy to just use them instead of daps. They sound great & using the cable trick helps to increase power for harder to drive phones.

Eventually I was tempted back into daps when I found IEMs I liked and wanted more. I have a dx220 & fiio m7 as well as the v40. There is clear distance between the 220 & the v40. The v40 as good as it is can't compete with a dap of that level. It comes close for sure but they last 5-10% is what costs the money. I prefer the sound of the v40 to the m7 if that helps.
Thx!

Jul 7, 2020 at 9:05 PM Post #65 of 486
I just ordered the V60, I haven't had a V series phone since the V20 and I remember there being an issues where the quad DAC only worked with the stock music player, not with PowerAmp. Has this been rectified or do you still need to stick to the stock music app to get the quad DAC benefits? Thanks.

Jul 7, 2020 at 10:34 PM Post #66 of 486
I just got the V60 with the dual screen case only to find out my Meze Audio Rai Silver Plated Cable does not fit in the headphone jack with the dual screen case. Didn't even consider that this would be an issue since I have never had a phone case where the headphone jack wasn't wide enough (and I have always used cases with my phones)...not sure what LG was thinking. Probably should've done more homework but I guess this is what happens when it is an impulse buy. Anyone have a suggestion on a decent adapter or MMCX cable that works with the dual screen case? Haven't even been able to play with them yet since I am still trying to set up both phones.

EDIT: I ordered some of these since it seems to work for others who have commented online about this issue.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B06Y5HFTMY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Initial impressions with my SE846...sounds great for a phone (and a significant improvement over my Galaxy S9) but it definitely will not be replacing my Dragonfly Cobalt which just sounds more dynamic and has better staging and separation. All the details are there and I don't feel like I am missing anything but the soundstage on the V60 felt a bit narrow and compressed in comparison. It may just be a different tuning than I am used to and I feel like I need to play with the settings more since this is my first LG V series phone. I am also not sure what the output impedance is of the V60 but that may be part of it. Overall, it will still be a much needed upgrade over my S9 once I start commuting and using the headphone jack more. As a phone I am really liking it as well. Pretty happy with my purchase so far.

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2020 at 12:03 PM Post #67 of 486
Anyone know how to force LDAC on the V60? Connected my Qudelix 5K and aptX Adaptive popped up (cool!) but I would like to use LDAC and anything I do in developer options does not stick. There is also no switch to enable LDAC (to hires) in Bluetooth settings like there was on my S9.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200708-115533.png
    Screenshot_20200708-115533.png
    107.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20200708-115611.png
    Screenshot_20200708-115611.png
    184.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jul 8, 2020 at 12:41 PM Post #68 of 486
Anyone know how to force LDAC on the V60? Connected my Qudelix 5K and aptX Adaptive popped up (cool!) but I would like to use LDAC and anything I do in developer options does not stick. There is also no switch to enable LDAC (to hires) in Bluetooth settings like there was on my S9.

To force LDAC, you need to first enable Developer Mode, go to System -> About Phone -> Software info -> keep tab Build number until you are a Developer.

Then go back System settings and you will see Developer options. Go there and under Networking, you will see Bluetooth Audio Codec and you can choose LDAC.

Jul 8, 2020 at 4:04 PM Post #69 of 486
To force LDAC, you need to first enable Developer Mode, go to System -> About Phone -> Software info -> keep tab Build number until you are a Developer.

Then go back System settings and you will see Developer options. Go there and under Networking, you will see Bluetooth Audio Codec and you can choose LDAC.
Thanks but I know how to get to developer options. As I noted in my original post, nothing I do in developer options seems to stick. Usually there is a setting in the specific Bluetooth device settings (in the Bluetooth connection menu of the phone) to enable LDAC but I don't see it on the V60. Wondering if anyone with a V60 has the same issue or knows how to fix it. I have no issues with LDAC on my S9 with the Qudelix 5K.

EDIT: I finally got around to digging up my ES100 (had an electrician here trying to help me get my air conditioning running again) and LDAC works fine on the V60 with the ES100 and the Qudelix 5K is able to connect to my S9 via LDAC so I am guessing it is a compatibility issue with the V60 and Qudelix 5K. Will try posting on the 5K thread to see if anyone there has noticed this as well. Thanks for taking the time to try to help.

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2020 at 12:59 AM Post #70 of 486
Thanks but I know how to get to developer options. As I noted in my original post, nothing I do in developer options seems to stick. Usually there is a setting in the specific Bluetooth device settings (in the Bluetooth connection menu of the phone) to enable LDAC but I don't see it on the V60. Wondering if anyone with a V60 has the same issue or knows how to fix it. I have no issues with LDAC on my S9 with the Qudelix 5K.

EDIT: I finally got around to digging up my ES100 (had an electrician here trying to help me get my air conditioning running again) and LDAC works fine on the V60 with the ES100 and the Qudelix 5K is able to connect to my S9 via LDAC so I am guessing it is a compatibility issue with the V60 and Qudelix 5K. Will try posting on the 5K thread to see if anyone there has noticed this as well. Thanks for taking the time to try to help.

Qudelix finally got their hands on a V60 and they figured out the issue. I now get LDAC 990 with the V60 and it sounds great. Apparently, the LG V60 remembers the last codec used for a device and I guess they (LG) did not anticipate a situation where aptX adaptive would have unknowingly been used first and that somehow locked me out of using LDAC with the same bluetooth device. I fixed it by disabling aptX adaptive on my Qudelix 5K, turning off the 5K, unpairing the 5K on the V60, turning 5K back on and re-pairing the 5K to my V60 with aptX adaptive still disabled. Then I went into Bluetooth settings for the 5K (in the V60 connection settings) and the Connection Type menu was now available so I was able to enable "Best sound quality" for LDAC. Have not had a single hiccup in SQ or connection quality since. Here is the response Qudelux sent me (posted on their official forum):

"We finally got the LG V60 in our hands.

As we checked, it seems LG V60 remembers the connected device supported codec list.

Please follow the steps below.

5K App --> Codec --> Remove/Uncheck aptX Adaptive
Reboot 5K.
Remove/Forget the 5K out of V60 paired device list.
Repair 5K to the V60.

Then, you will see the LDAC HD Audio option in Bluetooth paired device setting.

Hope this helps you.

Thanks!"

Posting this here since it looks like this can happen with any device capable of both aptX adaptive and LDAC (not specific to the Qudelix 5K) and is a pretty easy fix. Really loving the Qudelix 5K and their customer support.

Also, the V60 has been a significant upgrade from my Galaxy S9 and the LDAC connection quality has been flawless for the last hour I have been using it. My GS9 would skip whenever I even opened a new app or window

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200720-001102.png
    Screenshot_20200720-001102.png
    137.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20200720-003306.png
    Screenshot_20200720-003306.png
    129.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jul 28, 2020 at 12:20 PM Post #71 of 486
My Pixel 2 is dying a slow death and I'm eying the V60 (US Verizon), the Oneplus 8 or Pixel 4. My corded auto setup is the Cayin N3 DAP + Periodic Audio Be IEMs. I also use the Cayin as a BT receiver when I'm using Tidal Premium, Youtube, etc. on the Pixel2. When I work out or working around the house/yard I have a Shure BT 5.0 Cord + Shure SE215 (Not fan of the 215 but they work). My car only has a Aux in, no BT for anything but voice calls so I use a dongle or BT + Cayin .

With the V60 I can use 1 device for everything, no need for the phone + Cayin. My concern with the V60 is the interface quirks mentioned in just about every review and the lack of updates. Anyone use Novalauncher or the like with the V60 instead of the default launcher? This would address at least some of the quirks with the V60. All input is welcome.

Jul 28, 2020 at 1:37 PM Post #72 of 486
My Pixel 2 is dying a slow death and I'm eying the V60 (US Verizon), the Oneplus 8 or Pixel 4. My corded auto setup is the Cayin N3 DAP + Periodic Audio Be IEMs. I also use the Cayin as a BT receiver when I'm using Tidal Premium, Youtube, etc. on the Pixel2. When I work out or working around the house/yard I have a Shure BT 5.0 Cord + Shure SE215 (Not fan of the 215 but they work). My car only has a Aux in, no BT for anything but voice calls so I use a dongle or BT + Cayin .

With the V60 I can use 1 device for everything, no need for the phone + Cayin. My concern with the V60 is the interface quirks mentioned in just about every review and the lack of updates. Anyone use Novalauncher or the like with the V60 instead of the default launcher? This would address at least some of the quirks with the V60. All input is welcome.

I use Novalauncher on the V60 (Verizon version). I don't have any issues with the LG launcher, but it was easier to transfer everything from the G8. The V60 is like the perfect phone for me other than the lack of physical FP reader. My Verizon G8 gets a security update about every 3 months or so. Remember the V50 and G8 got Android 10 1 month after the Samsung S10/Note 10. LG is getting better.

Jul 28, 2020 at 4:55 PM Post #73 of 486
I use Novalauncher on the V60 (Verizon version). I don't have any issues with the LG launcher, but it was easier to transfer everything from the G8. The V60 is like the perfect phone for me other than the lack of physical FP reader. My Verizon G8 gets a security update about every 3 months or so. Remember the V50 and G8 got Android 10 1 month after the Samsung S10/Note 10. LG is getting better.
Thank you. How's the software fingerprint reader and is the rest of the aps stock Android. Do you get Google call Screening?

Jul 28, 2020 at 9:17 PM Post #74 of 486
Thank you. How's the software fingerprint reader and is the rest of the aps stock Android. Do you get Google call Screening?

It's not a software FP reader. It's just like all the on screen ultrasonic FP readers, you have to look at the screen to find it and it's not as efficient as the physical FPb reader. Rest of the software is just like any other Android 10.

Jul 29, 2020 at 1:41 AM Post #75 of 486
No idea what Google call screening is but fingerprint scanner is fine. I m on T-Mobile and I think they may have their own screening service. My brother has a Note 9 and was commenting on how much faster the fingerprint scanner on the V60 is. I upgraded from a S9 and am glad I did. Yes, I missed the dedicated fingerprint scanner at first but got used to the V60 pretty quickly and am really happy with it.

Not many options for phones with headphone jacks, wireless charging and a micro SD slot. The battery life is great too. Two things that really bothered me are (1) you can't automatically alphabetize apps (i just use stock launchers on my phones) and (2) you need an adapter to use the headphone jack with the dual screen case (which I just discovered has actually been tricking my V60 into thinking it is connected to an external aux cable and eupposedly increasing ourput - not a bad thing). The second thing bothers me more because you would think LG would have designed the case to work with normal headphone cables since the Quad DAC is probaby the main selling point. Small price to pay for the excellent DAC and SQ. Loving this phone (listening to music on it right now).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back