LG V60 ThinQ smartphone
Aug 23, 2022 at 10:07 PM Post #316 of 482
Not sure what all reasons you have for an LG, but after dismal SQ (personal taste, of course) from V40, V50 & V60 I scored a brand-new backup V30 THAT STILL HAD FM from a vendor who was on eBay, and maybe Amazon, in March. I'm guessing the secret sauce I like is the B&O tuning.

There may still be hope !!
saw a new set going for $300 so just grabbed it to replace my old v50. just received it, looks way bigger than the 50s lol

V30 and V35 were/are really great phones :)
Just curious - what headphones were you listening to all these LG phones on?
just my daily iem ve8+chiron

Aug 26, 2022 at 7:58 AM Post #318 of 482
brand new
In China, there were no official sales of this smartphone. This means that only refurbished ones are sold there, it is not clear by whom and how.

Aug 26, 2022 at 3:53 PM Post #319 of 482
In China, there were no official sales of this smartphone. This means that only refurbished ones are sold there, it is not clear by whom and how.
My only comment here is that, if you're Stateside, eBay & Amazon partners may still have new (New Old Stock) units - the new V30 I obtained 4 months ago came in 4 days domestically, and it unwrapped exactly as factory-sealed (another giveaway it was NOS is that it hadn't received Android updates, which all of the refurb'd ones I suffered through exhibited).

Ya, "Official" is not a credible category for an LG phone purchased today.

Best of luck & patience - I sure needed it !

Aug 28, 2022 at 7:18 AM Post #320 of 482
Hi all, I'm considering getting the V60 as a replacement for my G8x which has started to have some problems (random switch off). I was gonna go for the newly released BTR7 but wanted to know how the V60 sounds.

My primary concern with getting another LG device is the lack of repair/parts availability, for my G8x, it took 3 months for LG to give me a replacement battery which did not even solve my problem.

How much better is V60 vs G8x & G7 (I've both) or am I better off with some other phone + Mid-Fi DAC like Fiio BTR7, Topping G7, Hip-DAC V2...

Aug 28, 2022 at 9:42 AM Post #321 of 482
Hi all, I'm considering getting the V60 as a replacement for my G8x which has started to have some problems (random switch off). I was gonna go for the newly released BTR7 but wanted to know how the V60 sounds.

My primary concern with getting another LG device is the lack of repair/parts availability, for my G8x, it took 3 months for LG to give me a replacement battery which did not even solve my problem.

How much better is V60 vs G8x & G7 (I've both) or am I better off with some other phone + Mid-Fi DAC like Fiio BTR7, Topping G7, Hip-DAC V2...

I no longer have other LG phones to compare with V60. But I have several dongles including Blue dragonfly, L&P W2, Cayin RU6, Mojo, .... V60 is much much much better than all these dongles. in terms of fidelity, correctness, perfectness.

It is fun to compare between all these dongles, they all have their specialties, strength, ... But once compared to V60, they are all junks, ready to go to trash can.
Why I still keep these dongles, because they are not perfect, they are fun, sometimes.

Aug 28, 2022 at 9:49 AM Post #322 of 482
I no longer have other LG phones to compare with V60. But I have several dongles including Blue dragonfly, L&P W2, Cayin RU6, Mojo, .... V60 is much much much better than all these dongles. in terms of fidelity, correctness, perfectness.

It is fun to compare between all these dongles, they all have their specialties, strength, ... But once compared to V60, they are all junks, ready to go to trash can.
Why I still keep these dongles, because they are not perfect, they are fun, sometimes.
Is V60 really that good? I had Mojo, RU6, Gryphon & micro iDSD Sig and compared to the G8x I would rate them as
BTR5<G7<RU6<G8x<Mojo<Gryphon<iDSD Sig

I'm hearing good things about BTR7, apparently it's a nice upgrade over BTR5 so right now I'm torn between V60 & BTR7.

Aug 28, 2022 at 10:57 AM Post #323 of 482
I use 64 Audio U12, and Vision Ears VE8 as main IEM. These IEMs are pretty high resolution, low colorization, and very balanced.
My preference on V60 phone is based on these 2 IEMs. They need high definition input, and don't need any sound tweaking or colorizations from the DACs.
Any loss in definition and any tweaking and colorization will be very easy to spot with these IEMs.
These IEMs just need very simple, raw, high definition input. V60 is based on simple ESS's all-in-one implementation in the ESS 9219 chip, no tweaking, nothing special, so fits these IEMs well.

Is V60 really that good? I had Mojo, RU6, Gryphon & micro iDSD Sig and compared to the G8x I would rate them as

I'm hearing good things about BTR7, apparently it's a nice upgrade over BTR5 so right now I'm torn between V60 & BTR7.

Aug 28, 2022 at 3:43 PM Post #324 of 482

Yes, pretty much what as yfei said above: I contend you will never surpass the ESS Quad-core sound in LG incorporated in their cells. They apparently abandoned the great B&O tuning in earlier versions, but even the V60 - with all of its extra sound flexibility - will still be your best choice for music.

Sep 3, 2022 at 3:21 AM Post #326 of 482
Yes, pretty much what as yfei said above: I contend you will never surpass the ESS Quad-core sound in LG incorporated in their cells. They apparently abandoned the great B&O tuning in earlier versions, but even the V60 - with all of its extra sound flexibility - will still be your best choice for music.

PS. I have mentioned several time in earlier posts, on LG phones using UAPP we can achieve the 4th filter mode: 'no filter'. By pass the filters (Short, Sharp, Slow).
This just feels like Cayin RU6's 'NOS' mode.

Cayin RU6 thread: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cayin-ru6-r-2r-usb-dongle-dac-with-head-amp.960113 people's preferrence between NOS mode vs OS mode is an on going topic in the thread.

How: in UAPP settings -> Internal HiRes audio -> HiRes driver flags -> check 'Direct' or 'Raw'.

What's special about Cayin RU6's NOS mode, or LG's 'no filter' mode: Better spatial, bass, more details. To me, this mode is the most honest and unprocessed playback of every bit of information in the recording. For great, analog recordings, this mode is the best. For bad, digital recordings, this mode can reveal 'digital feeling'.

LG's filtered mode (Short, Sharp, Slow) are just like Cayin RU6's OS filter modes, they make recordings 'seem like' more analog, more fine grained smooth details, but after long listening the brain always feel something is 'wrong', 'nausea‘. The filter's processing can make bad, digital recording sound better, but for good recordings they are not necessary.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2022 at 8:39 AM Post #327 of 482
What's the point of seriously discussing the sound capabilities of Android smartphones if all soft players can't bypass the Android mixer? Including UAPP. It is only suitable for audio output to USB.

Sep 3, 2022 at 8:47 AM Post #328 of 482

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220903-144414_(1).png
    Screenshot_20220903-144414_(1).png
    108.4 KB · Views: 0
Sep 4, 2022 at 12:47 PM Post #329 of 482
Yes, on LG V serices phones, using UAPP, after checking the 'Direct' or 'Raw' flag, this warning dialog will appear. But don't worry, it will lead to better sound.
To double check if this 'filter by-passing' mode is working: open LG HiFi setting dialog, try switching these 3 filter (Short, Sharp, Slow) settings, you should hear no change in sound. This means the 3 filters are by-passed.

"seriously discussing the sound capabilities of Android smartphones if all soft players can't bypass the Android mixer? Including UAPP"
Using music players like UAPP, Neutronl, LG Music, the Android Mixer is always by-passed to achieve great sound. But the LG HiFi filters are not bypassed. The HiFi filters are in a lower level than Android mixer. So normal apps could not bypass them.
My guess is that these 3 LG HiFI filters are built-in to the ESS DAC, they are not software. ESS DAC actually provides more than 3 filters.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2022 at 1:34 PM Post #330 of 482
Android Mixer is always by-passed to achieve great sound.
Unfortunately no. Since all system sounds and notification sounds are played simultaneously with the music. Of the smartphones I know of, only the Onkyo Granbeat and one of the Vivo had direct audio output, bypassing the Android Mixer.
But you may, of course, have the opposite opinion of mine :wink:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back