LG V40 ThinQ

Switching from V30

• Yes

Votes: 47 41.6%
  • No

Votes: 66 58.4%

• Total voters
Jun 27, 2019 at 8:37 AM Post #451 of 973
I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything, just that csglinux makes claims that don't apply to my EUR V40 with UAPP correctly setup for bit perfect playback. By all means, stick to Oreo forever because a random dude said so with zero proof.
I held off updating for a few days too because of his posts, but I decided to upgrade and investigate eventually (knowing I have the possibility to go back to Oreo if needed).

EDIT: I did make make a factory reset after the update. Before doing that, I had issues with the DAC not working at all sometimes. A factory reset should be performed after a major upgrade anyway.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2019 at 11:49 AM Post #452 of 973
I just got my hands on one of these phones this last weekend. It's really pretty nice overall. As an audio player, it's pretty decent. Very good for a phone, but still nothing special even using UAPP bitperfect. I am a big fan of the 75 steps of volume control, although my ER4XR can be driven at full volume and are only slightly too loud for listening. Cayin N3>Chord Mojo easily trumps the V40. V40>Mojo through USB OTG is decent, but the Cayin's coax SPDIF out is much cleaner than the V40's USB (yes it's set to bitperfect). On the issue of whether the V40 can beat the Cayin N3, I am still listening and evaluating. I prefer the "Sharp" filter on both the V40 and the N3.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2019 at 2:05 PM Post #454 of 973
I just got my hands on one of these phones this last weekend. It's really pretty nice overall. As an audio player, it's pretty decent. Very good for a phone, but still nothing special even using UAPP bitperfect. I am a big fan of the 75 steps of volume control, although my ER4XR can be driven at full volume and are only slightly too loud for listening. Cayin N3>Chord Mojo easily trumps the V40. V40>Mojo through USB OTG is decent, but the Cayin's coax SPDIF out is much cleaner than the V40's USB (yes it's set to bitperfect). On the issue of whether the V40 can beat the Cayin N3, I am still listening and evaluating. I prefer the "Sharp" filter on both the V40 and the N3.

Welcome to the V40-owners club :) Other than the slightly large size and poorer battery life (compared to the V30), I also think it's a pretty nice phone. BTW, I also own the ER4XR. Their impedance is just slightly too low to trigger high-impedance mode on the V40, so you might want to try the adapter trick (in the 2nd link below) to get more headroom.

I wasn't the biggest fan of the Mojo, mainly because of its poor shielding (which might explain why you prefer the N3 as a transport?). Just playing Devil's advocate on a couple of other points here...

Mojo doesn't measure nearly as well as the V40 in terms of signal over noise and distortion (look on the list for the G7, which shares the exact same DAC/amp):

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ad-distortion-comparison-graph-for-dacs.4814/

That's not to say you shouldn't prefer something that, in some formal sense, doesn't measure as well. I have plenty of gear that measures like crap but sounds amazing. I'm afraid I can't explain that, so if you really like the sound of the Mojo, then that's obviously the right answer for you. But the other point is whether you're really playing your files back bit-perfect in UAPP. Appropriate settings are explained here:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/music-apps-tips-and-tricks-for-the-lg-v30.868978/

However, if your V40 is running Android Pie, all bets are off unless you're running a permanent dumpsys of audio_flinger to confirm the sample rate of every single track. There's one individual on this thread who got very excited about seeing an audio_flinger output showing the correct sample rate and assumed that one anecdotal example proves there isn't any problem with Android Pie. I can promise you they're wrong. All music apps on the V40 (even LG's own music app) are having issues with PCM files when switching sample rates in Android 9. You may indeed have been listening bit-perfect with UAPP. But if you're on Android 9 (Pie), there's also a good chance you weren't. (There is a work-around for UAPP on the horizon, but nobody outside of myself and the UAPP dev currently has that.) It's not an ideal solution, but if you manually set the correct sample rate in Poweramp, that is consistently playing back all PCM files correctly on the V40.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2019 at 11:08 PM Post #455 of 973
I am loving this cell phone quite a bit even though I am having issues with the Fiio Android music app on it.

Jun 28, 2019 at 10:09 AM Post #456 of 973
Welcome to the V40-owners club :) Other than the slightly large size and poorer battery life (compared to the V30), I also think it's a pretty nice phone. BTW, I also own the ER4XR. Their impedance is just slightly too low to trigger high-impedance mode on the V40, so you might want to try the adapter trick (in the 2nd link below) to get more headroom.

I wasn't the biggest fan of the Mojo, mainly because of its poor shielding (which might explain why you prefer the N3 as a transport?). Just playing Devil's advocate on a couple of other points here...

Mojo doesn't measure nearly as well as the V40 in terms of signal over noise and distortion (look on the list for the G7, which shares the exact same DAC/amp):

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ad-distortion-comparison-graph-for-dacs.4814/

That's not to say you shouldn't prefer something that, in some formal sense, doesn't measure as well. I have plenty of gear that measures like crap but sounds amazing. I'm afraid I can't explain that, so if you really like the sound of the Mojo, then that's obviously the right answer for you. But the other point is whether you're really playing your files back bit-perfect in UAPP. Appropriate settings are explained here:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/music-apps-tips-and-tricks-for-the-lg-v30.868978/

However, if your V40 is running Android Pie, all bets are off unless you're running a permanent dumpsys of audio_flinger to confirm the sample rate of every single track. There's one individual on this thread who got very excited about seeing an audio_flinger output showing the correct sample rate and assumed that one anecdotal example proves there isn't any problem with Android Pie. I can promise you they're wrong. All music apps on the V40 (even LG's own music app) are having issues with PCM files when switching sample rates in Android 9. You may indeed have been listening bit-perfect with UAPP. But if you're on Android 9 (Pie), there's also a good chance you weren't. (There is a work-around for UAPP on the horizon, but nobody outside of myself and the UAPP dev currently has that.) It's not an ideal solution, but if you manually set the correct sample rate in Poweramp, that is consistently playing back all PCM files correctly on the V40.

Some interesting stuff there.

1. Mojo's performance is highly source dependent and for these measurements they were using an unknown USB source. I would not be surprised if the V40's native output measures better than Mojo with a phone as a USB source. Its USB input stage is just not great. Low level distortion, especially in the bass region, is the most easily audible aspect. Using a good clean SPDIF source yields a pretty dramatic (in audiophile terms, in reality it's subtle) improvement.

2. I put very little stock in measurements; clearly we are pretty bad at measuring the aspects of gear that correlate to subjective performance. Measurements are a decent place to start but when so many observations do not agree with measurements, they are clearly not telling the whole story. Furthermore, I put even less stock in ASR's measurements and/or opinions on basically anything.

3. Previously I was using Android 8, although the upgrade happened this morning. Furthermore, the Chord Mojo's power button light is a sampling rate indicator, and it was correct for all the sampling rates I tested (44.1, 88.2, 96). It's good to know that UAPP is having issues on Android 9 though, I'll keep that in mind and keep my fingers crossed for a fix sometime soon.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2019 at 12:32 PM Post #459 of 973
Hi.
My V40 is running Android Pie. Do you believe all problems are now solved?
Thank you very much.
Not quite all problems. DSD and PCM playback should now be ok via UAPP. MQA files will play via UAPP, but they'll just play as 44 kHz PCM - they won't unfold anymore on Android Pie, so you'll still want to use the native Tidal app for MQA.

Jun 29, 2019 at 1:02 PM Post #460 of 973
Not quite all problems. DSD and PCM playback should now be ok via UAPP. MQA files will play via UAPP, but they'll just play as 44 kHz PCM - they won't unfold anymore on Android Pie, so you'll still want to use the native Tidal app for MQA.
Ok, thanks. And what about Tidal ( except MQA files) via UAPP on Android Pie?

Jun 29, 2019 at 1:56 PM Post #462 of 973
Ok, thanks. And what about Tidal ( except MQA files) via UAPP on Android Pie?
99% of Tidal's catalogue will play just fine on Tidal via UAPP (you'd still want to use UAPP for 44 kHz/16-bit tracks via Tidal - it will play these back correctly). UAPP playing MQA files via Tidal will still sound fine, but won't unfold on Android Pie. Whether that makes any difference to the sound is probably up for debate. Put it this way - UAPP has now solved all the important and obviously audible issues in Android Pie. (It's the only app currently available that has!)

Jul 11, 2019 at 10:44 PM Post #464 of 973
I am almost ready to pull the trigger on a new phone and have been digging into the V40 again.

However, I have just looked at the G8 and I am wondering if anyone here has had any experience with the G8/both.

I am not concerned with losing 1/4" of screen space, or 1 of the cameras. I think the fact it has 128GB of internal memory, as well as the SD855 would suit me much better.

It comes with Android 9.0, but it appears the UAPP issues have been solved.

Is there anything I am missing that still makes the V40 a better option?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back