LG V40 ThinQ

Switching from V30

• Yes

Votes: 47 41.6%
  • No

Votes: 66 58.4%

• Total voters
Jun 23, 2019 at 10:53 AM Post #436 of 973
LG really done goofed. They're done as Hi-Fi Audio phone makers as things stand now.
Things aren't good right now on Android Pie, but things could always be worse. At least we still have a 3.5 mm socket. It seems LG will be the last big company to give us that choice. (Samsung's new Note 10 won't have a 3.5 mm socket.)

Try using Poweramp and manually set your sample rate to, say 96 kHz. It will upsample your 44 kHz files, but it can do this via SoX and audio_flinger shows it plays via direct mode, 24 bit, and doesn't give the nasty artifacts of going through the Android mixer.

Jun 24, 2019 at 11:36 AM Post #437 of 973
Things aren't good right now on Android Pie, but things could always be worse. At least we still have a 3.5 mm socket. It seems LG will be the last big company to give us that choice. (Samsung's new Note 10 won't have a 3.5 mm socket.)

Try using Poweramp and manually set your sample rate to, say 96 kHz. It will upsample your 44 kHz files, but it can do this via SoX and audio_flinger shows it plays via direct mode, 24 bit, and doesn't give the nasty artifacts of going through the Android mixer.

Why would I use poweramp and waste CPU and fidelity on resampling when I have UAPP that can still play bit perfect everything except MQA (and possibly DSD which I don't need)? Is Poweramp going to fix MQA on Tidal somehow?

One workaround would be buying the UAPP MQA decoding plugin even if the phone has the built-in decoder.

Jun 24, 2019 at 11:44 AM Post #438 of 973
Why would I use poweramp and waste CPU and fidelity on resampling when I have UAPP that can still play bit perfect everything except MQA (and possibly DSD which I don't need)? Is Poweramp going to fix MQA on Tidal somehow?

One workaround would be buying the UAPP MQA decoding plugin even if the phone has the built-in decoder.
Because once you upgrade to Android Pie, UAPP will not play anything bit-perfect anymore and will not playback MQA files ever again, even if you pay for an MQA plugin.

This is why I'm warning folks about Android 9.

P.S. MQA on Tidal isn't broken. MQA, via the native Tidal app, has always played back correctly.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2019 at 5:18 PM Post #439 of 973
Well I got the T-Mobile Android Pie udate, lol.

So far its working good, but not sure how it impacted Audio other than whats been posted.

However..... Question... For this whole time I have been playing though USB to my devices and amps. Since I have a Audioengine B1 what If I sent the audio to that Vs. USB? How would that change the audio signal?

I originally went from BT to USB thinking it would be better and bit-perfect but now maybe the BT option would be better?

Jun 24, 2019 at 9:58 PM Post #441 of 973
Hi.
Do you have any idea if/when UAPP will solve this problem?
Thanks!
The dev is aware of the problems and is working on it. I suspect the issue with PCM DIRECT playback (which is the most important issue) may eventually get fixed. It doesn't look like MQA playback (full MQA unfolding/playback) will be coming back to UAPP on Android Pie though, so you'd need Tidal or the LG Music app for MQA, going forward.

Jun 25, 2019 at 8:23 AM Post #442 of 973
Can anyone comment on the differences between using Bluetooth 5 with AptX-HD on this phone going to a Audioengine B1 for example vs the USB output esp with all the USB/DAC/bit-perfect issues going on?

Bluetooth is easier and may be comparable in SQ in this situation?

Jun 25, 2019 at 9:26 AM Post #443 of 973
Can anyone comment on the differences between using Bluetooth 5 with AptX-HD on this phone going to a Audioengine B1 for example vs the USB output esp with all the USB/DAC/bit-perfect issues going on?

Bluetooth is easier and may be comparable in SQ in this situation?
I'm afraid I don't know the Audioengine B1. I'm not a particular fan of BT, but LDAC's sound quality is getting quite close to that of a wired connection.

The Android mixer up-sampling is a nasty issue, but many people are blissfully unaware of it - you'll typically only hear the artifacts if you're listening carefully to quiet passages of music on sensitive headphones.

What do your ears tell you? I would trust them :)

Jun 25, 2019 at 9:51 AM Post #444 of 973
Because once you upgrade to Android Pie, UAPP will not play anything bit-perfect anymore and will not playback MQA files ever again, even if you pay for an MQA plugin.

This is why I'm warning folks about Android 9.

P.S. MQA on Tidal isn't broken. MQA, via the native Tidal app, has always played back correctly.

Can you not read? Once I upgraded to Pie, UAPP plays everything bit perfect except MQA.
Verified on audio_flinger dumps. The direct flag is set and the original sample rate is maintained.
Why are you spreading misinformation?
Some things changed about setting the MQA flag, visible in the logs when comparing to the V30 on Oreo. And it's more likely to do with LG, not Android 9.
UAPP will probably fix this eventually.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2019 at 9:57 AM Post #445 of 973
Can you not read? Once I upgraded to Pie, UAPP plays everything bit perfect except MQA.
Verified on audio_flinger dumps. The direct flags is set and the original sample rate is maintained.
Why are you spreading misinformation?
Try hopping back and forth between different formats and different music apps and look again at your audio_flinger output.

Jun 25, 2019 at 10:10 AM Post #447 of 973
I'm working with Davy on a daily basis, so I know what you're saying isn't correct. Davy doesn't yet have an LG device with Android Pie on it.

For whatever reason on Android Pie, all music apps (including LG's) are having a hard time consistently grabbing the quad DAC - even after a reboot and exclusive use of one app. I can also show audio_flinger dumps reporting direct mode and correct sample rates. But not consistently. Switching to 96/24 and back to 44/16 PCM (or vice versa) can be enough to trigger the mixer mode again.

Jun 25, 2019 at 10:46 AM Post #448 of 973
I'm afraid I don't know the Audioengine B1. I'm not a particular fan of BT, but LDAC's sound quality is getting quite close to that of a wired connection.

The Android mixer up-sampling is a nasty issue, but many people are blissfully unaware of it - you'll typically only hear the artifacts if you're listening carefully to quiet passages of music on sensitive headphones.

What do your ears tell you? I would trust them :)
Thanks, will try it and see, I agree if you cant really tell the difference then does it really matter? For me this is also in a CAR, so a very noisy environment to start with! :ksc75smile:

Jun 25, 2019 at 5:49 PM Post #449 of 973
I'm working with Davy on a daily basis, so I know what you're saying isn't correct. Davy doesn't yet have an LG device with Android Pie on it.

For whatever reason on Android Pie, all music apps (including LG's) are having a hard time consistently grabbing the quad DAC - even after a reboot and exclusive use of one app. I can also show audio_flinger dumps reporting direct mode and correct sample rates. But not consistently. Switching to 96/24 and back to 44/16 PCM (or vice versa) can be enough to trigger the mixer mode again.

You know nothing and probably have UAPP setup wrong. Like on 32 bit float or some other nonsense instead of 24 bit packed. Or the wrong flags enabled (there should be no flag selected, or only Direct enabled, NOT Direct PCM and definitely NOT MQA!).

Is this enough switching for you? I could do it for hours without having the stuff you're describing happen at all.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back