LG V40 ThinQ

Switching from V30

• Yes

Votes: 47 41.6%
  • No

Votes: 66 58.4%

• Total voters
Oct 21, 2018 at 5:12 AM Post #46 of 973
A link for that seller or a PM please? V30+ very cheap on eBay but you may not get Android 9.0 and above firmware update.
That's another reason the LG V40 will get more updates.

I bought mine in May and I'm halfway round the world, so I think doing an Ebay search yourself would prove more fruitful.

And yes, the V40 is likely to get to one more newer version of Android than the V30 will, but the V30 will get updated to Android 9, probably in the New Year.

Oct 21, 2018 at 5:04 PM Post #47 of 973
We switched carriers and I took a gamble on the V40. It's no doubt a better phone in every way, except audio.
The bass is leaner, the treble is more rolled off, and the mids are a little more recessed. Overall, it doesn't have the same drive and energy as the V30. Whats more disappointing is it has less power. I have to kick it into high impedance to get what I did in auxiliary on the V30. It will drive my 58X, but I need full volume.
I'm using Neutron as I did on my V30. The volume works in 7 steps a click with this player. With the V30 and 58X, 87 was plenty loud. I need the full 100 now. So the power difference isn't huge, but it's definitely noticeable. Does anyone know what the power output is on the V40?
I wrote down all my EQ settings from my V30 for each seperate headphone, and set them as such on my V40, so I know the sonic differences aren't in my head. I still have the V30 as I have to return it to the former provider, so I did about 3 hours of A and B testing last night. I will say that the sonic background on the V40 is darker, and that tiny bit of grain from the V30 is gone, but that's the only improvement I can hear. Less bass impact, rolled off treble, somewhat recessed mids and less power is what you can expect. I don't like the different placement of the headphone jack, and the DTS 3D surround sound is worthless with headphones.
Again, everything else about it is better. Display, camera, snappiness, etc. I have 10 days to exchange it, so I might get the V30 back. It's quite the dilemma for me, because I just picked up an Opus #1s, and it's sonically better than both phones. So I don't really need the better audio from the V30, but I miss it already. If I choose to keep the V40 it will be for better media quality, as I love to binge watch shows.
Unless I'm missing something, you still can't choose auxiliary or high impedance with easy to drive cans without having to force or trick the device.
Don't get me wrong, the V40 sounds nice, and still is better than most entry level daps, but if it will be your main source for music and you are coming from the V30, I'm pretty sure you will be disappointed. Now I have to decide what I want to do, and what's of more importance to me.
My co worker just got the note 9, and it's sonic traits aren't far behind the V40.

Oct 21, 2018 at 5:37 PM Post #48 of 973
We switched carriers and I took a gamble on the V40. It's no doubt a better phone in every way, except audio.
The bass is leaner, the treble is more rolled off, and the mids are a little more recessed. Overall, it doesn't have the same drive and energy as the V30. Whats more disappointing is it has less power. I have to kick it into high impedance to get what I did in auxiliary on the V30. It will drive my 58X, but I need full volume.
I'm using Neutron as I did on my V30. The volume works in 7 steps a click with this player. With the V30 and 58X, 87 was plenty loud. I need the full 100 now. So the power difference isn't huge, but it's definitely noticeable. Does anyone know what the power output is on the V40?
I wrote down all my EQ settings from my V30 for each seperate headphone, and set them as such on my V40, so I know the sonic differences aren't in my head. I still have the V30 as I have to return it to the former provider, so I did about 3 hours of A and B testing last night. I will say that the sonic background on the V40 is darker, and that tiny bit of grain from the V30 is gone, but that's the only improvement I can hear. Less bass impact, rolled off treble, somewhat recessed mids and less power is what you can expect. I don't like the different placement of the headphone jack, and the DTS 3D surround sound is worthless with headphones.
Again, everything else about it is better. Display, camera, snappiness, etc. I have 10 days to exchange it, so I might get the V30 back. It's quite the dilemma for me, because I just picked up an Opus #1s, and it's sonically better than both phones. So I don't really need the better audio from the V30, but I miss it already. If I choose to keep the V40 it will be for better media quality, as I love to binge watch shows.
Unless I'm missing something, you still can't choose auxiliary or high impedance with easy to drive cans without having to force or trick the device.
Don't get me wrong, the V40 sounds nice, and still is better than most entry level daps, but if it will be your main source for music and you are coming from the V30, I'm pretty sure you will be disappointed. Now I have to decide what I want to do, and what's of more importance to me.
My co worker just got the note 9, and it's sonic traits aren't far behind the V40.
Thank you I seriously thought I was going crazy, I don't know why it bothers me having to max it out but it just does, I really loved the sound of the v30 glad I kept it, I agree with the camera and smoothness of the v40 but just really disappointed sonically which is why I buy the LG v series every one from the 10 to the 40

Oct 21, 2018 at 6:15 PM Post #50 of 973
This is strange behavior (lower output power than the V30), given that it's using the same DAC and amp. Are you folks noticing this in the US? (Purchasing from US carriers?)

(USA, Verizon) My unit seems to be working fine - Driving a pair of 250 Ohm Beyers very well. As expected, given the 50 Ohm switch from single to quad, the results with KEF M500s and Oppo PM3 aren't as impressive, but I can still tell the difference when switching the DAC on and off.

I ordered a pair of TFZ King Pros (55 Ohm) and a pair of SoundMagic E80C (80?? Ohm), which should arrive tuesday. I'll report back, if you guys want.

{Edit} - If someone knows of something suitable with a microphone, I'd appreciate the tip. :)

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2018 at 6:28 PM Post #51 of 973
This is strange behavior (lower output power than the V30), given that it's using the same DAC and amp. Are you folks noticing this in the US? (Purchasing from US carriers?)
How do you know they are using the same DAC and amp? I read on here (maybe even this thread), that the V40 is using the latest implementation of the previous chips in the V30 - is this not accurate? Does anyone have the specs? I've also read about dap burn in, but I'm not sure that's even possible. At any rate, my phone is through AT&T, and I'm 100% positive the sound is leaner, less dynamic and powerful than the V30.

Oct 21, 2018 at 6:40 PM Post #52 of 973
How do you know they are using the same DAC and amp? I read on here (maybe even this thread), that the V40 is using the latest implementation of the previous chips in the V30 - is this not accurate? Does anyone have the specs? I've also read about dap burn in, but I'm not sure that's even possible. At any rate, my phone is through AT&T, and I'm 100% positive the sound is leaner, less dynamic and powerful than the V30.
They're both using the ES9218p chip which has the quad DAC and amp stages built in. The specs are here:

http://www.esstech.com/index.php?cID=422

I don't doubt that you're hearing differences, but I don't know what would cause that. It would be strange for LG to intentionally cripple the output of either phone. Reports of lower output power seem inconsistent so maybe this is a quality control issue?

Oct 21, 2018 at 8:10 PM Post #53 of 973
They're both using the ES9218p chip which has the quad DAC and amp stages built in. The specs are here:

http://www.esstech.com/index.php?cID=422

I don't doubt that you're hearing differences, but I don't know what would cause that. It would be strange for LG to intentionally cripple the output of either phone. Reports of lower output power seem inconsistent so maybe this is a quality control issue?
Right on, thanks. I figured out what's going on with the sonic differences. The V40 was hand tuned by Meridian Audio. Never heard of them. They did a lousy job imo. Was the V30 tuned by B&O? You would think Meredian would have tried to best B&O, so I don't understand why or how they figured their tuning of the same chip set is better.
I'm thinking I may exchange for the G7. It's about 350 dollars cheaper. Does anyone know who tuned the G7? It looks like Meridian only got their hands on the V40. Maybe if enough people complain about the 40s sonic qualities, they can provide an update? Is that even possible?

Oct 21, 2018 at 10:40 PM Post #55 of 973
Okay, I stand corrected. Listened to both my buddies Note 9 and my V40 using B&O H6 - The V40 is much nicer. Less congested, clearer and without grain. V40 in auxiliary mode resulted in roughly the same volume as the Note 9. Still with some more head time, the V40 just sounds leaner than the V30. Meridian stated they went for balanced audio, and I believe they captured that, but the mids are slightly lacking to my ears. I listen to primarily rock music, and this less aggressive approach isn't making me feel as alive as the V30 did. I hope someone else comes along who has both devices. I'd really like to hear some additional thoughts

Oct 22, 2018 at 12:05 AM Post #56 of 973
I hope someone else comes along who has both devices. I'd really like to hear some additional thoughts

I have a V30 and a V40 on order. I have some very high resolution Pioneer SE-Master1 headphones (and HIfiman X2 planars even the V30 can't drive enough) and you can bet I am going to be comparing the #%^ out of both phones. Supposedly there is more volume with the V40, but that's not what i'm hearing real world tests...

Oct 22, 2018 at 12:08 AM Post #57 of 973
I hope someone else comes along who has both devices. I'd really like to hear some additional thoughts

I have a V30 and a V40 on order. I have some very high resolution Pioneer SE-Master1 headphones (and HIfiman X2 planars even the V30 can't drive enough) and you can bet I am going to be comparing the #%^ out of both phones. Supposedly there is more volume with the V40, but that's not what i'm hearing real world tests...
Nope. Roughly 15 to 20 percent less volume between the two devices I have

Oct 22, 2018 at 12:16 AM Post #58 of 973
Nope. Roughly 15 to 20 percent less volume between the two devices I have

I'll see for myself soon enough. Before i even swap SIM or do anything else i'm testing the DSD tracks i have that i know well off the V30.

BTW...to the person that asked, Meridian is the company behind the classic DVD-Audio's MLP (Meridian Lossless Packing), which morphed into Dolby TrueHD--so they should know what they are doing. But that doesn't mean they got it right....

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2018 at 4:38 PM Post #59 of 973
Well, I've decided to keep the 40. I figure having my Opus #1s, I'll keep the 40 rather than exchange it for another 30. I like everything about the 40 better than the 30, except for the audio traits.
So for whatever reason, I plugged some headphones into my 40 and ran music through it for 20 hours straight. I'll be damned if the sonic qualities didn't clean up and open up a bit. Never believed much in burn in other than with headphones, but I can hear a difference. It's not night and day, but noticeable. I'm hoping it will improve even more over time. Or my ears could just be adjusting to the different sound the 40 produces - who knows. I think after I dink around with EQ settings some more, I'll be okay with this phone. It doesn't satisfy me like the 30 did, as it just doesn't have the drive and energy that makes you want to get up and move. If I didn't have my dap, I'd definitely exchange phones.

Oct 22, 2018 at 4:58 PM Post #60 of 973
Well, I've decided to keep the 40. I figure having my Opus #1s, I'll keep the 40 rather than exchange it for another 30. I like everything about the 40 better than the 30, except for the audio traits.
So for whatever reason, I plugged some headphones into my 40 and ran music through it for 20 hours straight. I'll be damned if the sonic qualities didn't clean up and open up a bit. Never believed much in burn in other than with headphones, but I can hear a difference. It's not night and day, but noticeable. I'm hoping it will improve even more over time. Or my ears could just be adjusting to the different sound the 40 produces - who knows. I think after I dink around with EQ settings some more, I'll be okay with this phone. It doesn't satisfy me like the 30 did, as it just doesn't have the drive and energy that makes you want to get up and move. If I didn't have my dap, I'd definitely exchange phones.
That's kind of disappointing to hear, considering this phone is all about audio. What's the consensus of other V40 owners? Is @Mhog55's unit defective, or is this a tuned-by-Meridian "feature"?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back