LG V40 ThinQ

Switching from V30

• Yes

Votes: 47 41.6%
  • No

Votes: 66 58.4%

• Total voters
Oct 22, 2018 at 5:52 PM Post #61 of 973
We switched carriers and I took a gamble on the V40. It's no doubt a better phone in every way, except audio.
The bass is leaner, the treble is more rolled off, and the mids are a little more recessed.

It is unfortunate to hear that the V40 is a step down from the V30 in terms of SQ. According to my experience so far with all LG V series (V10, V20, V30) - each newer model has a better sound quality. I think the V30 has the significant improvement over the V10/V20 in terms of soundstage.

Can you share please which V30 model was tested (B&O or Non-B&O)?

Thanks!

Oct 22, 2018 at 6:12 PM Post #62 of 973
It is unfortunate to hear that the V40 is a step down from the V30 in terms of SQ. According to my experience so far with all LG V series (V10, V20, V30) - each newer model has a better sound quality. I think the V30 has the significant improvement over the V10/V20 in terms of soundstage.

Can you share please which V30 model was tested (B&O or Non-B&O)?

Thanks!
I wasn't aware there were differently tuned versions of the 30. I had the V30 + through Sprint. I don't want to give the impression that the 40 sounds terrible, because it doesn't. Though I wouldn't consider it a side grade to the 30, more of a downgrade, and that's what I'm struggling with. If you listen to softer types of music, you may actually prefer it. But I listen to rock, and to my ears, the separation isn't as good. I hear a bit more congestion. I know Meridian goes for a real life live concert type of sound, and they wanted to tune it as close to the original recording as possible. What I'm hearing is a more laid back type of sound.

Oct 22, 2018 at 11:35 PM Post #63 of 973
Here's another interesting bit - I get more volume out of the stock LG music player on the 40 than I did on the 30. I don't know what that means, but I have read that people think the 40 should have more power than the 30. Maybe my problem is Neutron? I'll patiently await some experts to get the 40 so we can dive in a little deeper. Maybe I'll play around with some other apps like USB audio player pro

Oct 22, 2018 at 11:38 PM Post #64 of 973
New old member but system cant find my email.
A couple of things Ive discovered. It seems UAPP isnt working correctly yet with the V40 dac. I cant seem to activate it and the sound with Hifi toggled on and off is the same. It does seem to be working with Tidal and the built in LG music player. I don't know if its altering the original signal to 16/48 like in earlier versions.

I normally use UAPP to play everything on my v20 but it doesnt seem to be working on v40.

Quick impressions of V40 filters with hifiman r00.

Short - a little too much reverb and instrument separation

Sharp - kind of boxes vocals in the center but has the most balanced sound of all

Slow - pushes vocals front and center. Maybe beneficial with certain types of music.

It could be me but it does seem like the sound is smoothing out over time or in just getting used to the sound signature. My v20 was different from my v10. Ive been listening for 4 hrs straight.

Joni Mitchell
Cutty Ranks
Das Efx
Neil Young
Some Elvis and Beatles

A couple of other notes. With the RE00s it kind of sounds better louder even though these are 50ohms and already get loud.

Next im going to listen with some shure se315 and akg y50bt (corded)

Oct 22, 2018 at 11:39 PM Post #65 of 973
Here's another interesting bit - I get more volume out of the stock LG music player on the 40 than I did on the 30. I don't know what that means, but I have read that people think the 40 should have more power than the 30. Maybe my problem is Neutron? I'll patiently await some experts to get the 40 so we can dive in a little deeper. Maybe I'll play around with some other apps like USB audio player pro

I dont think Neutron has been updated to use the Ess dac on the v40 either.

Oct 22, 2018 at 11:50 PM Post #67 of 973
THAT could indeed be the problem! I sure hope so. I swear I'm getting more volume with the stock LG music player

I'm pretty sure the stock player resamples anything not hi rez to 16/48 as well but it and Tidal have always been able to acces the dac. UAPP, Neutron and Power amp had to write special drivers into their software to get bit perfect output and update them regularly when new models come out to use the dac correctly.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2018 at 11:55 PM Post #68 of 973
I'm pretty sure the stock player resamples anything not hi rez to 16/48 as well but it and Tidal have always been able to acces the dac. UAPP, Neutron and Power amp had to write special drivers into their software and update them regularly when new models come out.
I'll try to figure out how to reach out to the folks at Neutron

Oct 23, 2018 at 8:37 AM Post #69 of 973
I'm getting more volume with the stock LG music player

Bigger question: is the V40 stock music player cutting off the 1st second of each track like the V30s annoyingly did and they never fixed?

Oct 23, 2018 at 1:08 PM Post #71 of 973
Juan Bagnell (aka Mr LG) just did a rather thorough audio review of the V40 and addressed a few of the controversies. It's only on Patreon though, so it will cost all of $1 to see what he found--well worth it.
https://www.patreon.com/SomeGadgetGuy/posts
Not all can afford or want to pay, so why don't you enlighten us, and explain what he found.
Thank you.

Oct 23, 2018 at 2:31 PM Post #75 of 973
I agree...why the ^%^# did LG move it! If your using crappy headphones outside supposedly its better placed if you put phone in your pocket. But if you use it with HQ house headphones for the great DAP replacement it is the bottom placement sucks. Once again a company succumbs to the masses...

Big fan of the bottom placement here. IMO, the top placement is a hassle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back