LG V40 ThinQ

Switching from V30

• Yes

Votes: 47 41.6%
  • No

Votes: 66 58.4%

• Total voters
Oct 20, 2018 at 8:57 AM Post #32 of 973
Very disappointed as they may not release LG V40 in UK. Actually i cannot find any news about Europe availability.
I want a phone with great audio, FM radio, big OLED screen and Android Pie at least out of the box, so i can use it minimum 3 years before upgrading again.
I am still using LG D955 on Android 4.4 :)

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2018 at 11:15 AM Post #33 of 973
Very disappointed as they may not release LG V40 in UK. Actually i cannot find any news about Europe availability.
I want a phone with great audio, FM radio, big OLED screen and Android Pie at least out of the box, so i can use it minimum 3 years before upgrading again.
I am still using LG D955 on Android 4.4 :)

LG are not present in Thailand either so I ordered mine from a seller in Singapore. I still think the V30+ is a better phone than the V40 in the things that matter to me, so you might see what kind of deal you can get on one of those?

Oct 20, 2018 at 12:07 PM Post #34 of 973
I have the v30 and I love it the volume on the v40 is way lower headphones from 8ohms to over 300 are all quiet no matter the mode, I think the volume goes to 75 and I have it in 60 and it's def not loud , my v30 would be on like 17ish and be plenty loud , I just don't get it I thought something was wrong with my v40 but I went to verizon and checked there's and it was the same way , I know that volume level number don't mean anything but say 15% total power for the v30 and like 85 % on the v40 are the same volume , just makes no sense

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2018 at 2:06 PM Post #39 of 973
Got the V40 yesterday. It sounds about the same as the V30 from memory. The most notable improvements for audio are the customizable system-wide EQ and placement of the headphone jack on the bottom left instead of the top right. I got the V40 sounding very close to the Cipher cable for the LCDi4 and there's less hand fatigue because the cable doesn't weigh the phone down as much anymore.

Overall, the V40 has a much better display, snapper UI, and the silly notch doesn't really get in the way when you use it in Second Screen mode. By far the best notch implementation among phones that have one.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2018 at 2:49 PM Post #40 of 973
Got the V40 yesterday. It sounds about the same as the V30 from memory. The most notable improvements for audio are the customizable system-wide EQ and placement of the headphone jack on the bottom left instead of the top right. I got the V40 sounding very close to the Cipher cable for the LCDi4 and there's less hang fatigue because the cable doesn't weigh the phone down as much anymore.

Overall, the V40 has a much better display, snapper UI, and the silly notch doesn't really get in the way when you use it in Second Screen mode. By far the best notch implementation among phones that have one.

It's a shame they messed up the placement of the headphone jack.

Oct 20, 2018 at 4:06 PM Post #41 of 973
So, bought the V40 yesterday and took it back today. Can't maintain q stable BT connection. Constant force close. Seems to be a software issue, but dis not inspire much confidence. Swapped it out for the note 9 using power amp. Probably because ita brand new, but it would distort with poweramp, even after adjustments where it does not with the Note. One difference is on high res in PA, with tyr Note ita only 24, but its 32 bit with native (upscaling). Sound does change when going between 3 options on note. Lg also would not let me use developer options to set LDAC mbps. Note does.

Oct 20, 2018 at 7:28 PM Post #42 of 973
I don't get it I find the exact opposite what are you using as a player and what headphones please , I'm just so confused I'm seriously thinking of taking it back

<VERY long time, no post...>

I just got mine, and spent some time digging around before I figured out I had to activate the DAC in the settings before it would come on: Settings > Sound > Sound Quality and Effects, and toggle the High Quality DAC switch. Once done, the phone auto detects the headphones. Maybe you need to do that, too.

Reference: https://www.phonearena.com/news/How-turn-on-and-make-sense-of-the-LG-V30s-Quad-DAC_id97750

With 250 Ohm Beyerdynamic DT990's It sounds better than the Dragonfly/Jitterbug combination I have on my Laptop. Even with the exact same source material (I copied my ripped files over to the phone). I also tried my Oppo PM3s (20~something ohms???) and KEF M500's (32 Ohm). The Beyers easily sound best here, followed by the Oppos, which sound very good. The KEFs sound allright, and I can tell the difference when toggling the DAC on and off in the system tray. The phone definitely likes the Beyers. The one thing I noticed, however, is if you want to crank up the volume towards the upper reaches it starts to sound busy and somewhat compressed. So, best at middle volumes. Still: Light Years ahead of the Samsung I traded in.

Oct 20, 2018 at 9:23 PM Post #43 of 973
<VERY long time, no post...>

I just got mine, and spent some time digging around before I figured out I had to activate the DAC in the settings before it would come on: Settings > Sound > Sound Quality and Effects, and toggle the High Quality DAC switch. Once done, the phone auto detects the headphones. Maybe you need to do that, too.

Reference: https://www.phonearena.com/news/How-turn-on-and-make-sense-of-the-LG-V30s-Quad-DAC_id97750

With 250 Ohm Beyerdynamic DT990's It sounds better than the Dragonfly/Jitterbug combination I have on my Laptop. Even with the exact same source material (I copied my ripped files over to the phone). I also tried my Oppo PM3s (20~something ohms???) and KEF M500's (32 Ohm). The Beyers easily sound best here, followed by the Oppos, which sound very good. The KEFs sound allright, and I can tell the difference when toggling the DAC on and off in the system tray. The phone definitely likes the Beyers. The one thing I noticed, however, is if you want to crank up the volume towards the upper reaches it starts to sound busy and somewhat compressed. So, best at middle volumes. Still: Light Years ahead of the Samsung I traded in.
Yeah got it turned on thanks I just don't know I really wonder if I have a dud

Oct 20, 2018 at 10:14 PM Post #44 of 973
It's a shame they messed up the placement of the headphone jack.

I agree...why the ^%^# did LG move it! If your using crappy headphones outside supposedly its better placed if you put phone in your pocket. But if you use it with HQ house headphones for the great DAP replacement it is the bottom placement sucks. Once again a company succumbs to the masses...

Oct 21, 2018 at 4:49 AM Post #45 of 973
LG are not present in Thailand either so I ordered mine from a seller in Singapore. I still think the V30+ is a better phone than the V40 in the things that matter to me, so you might see what kind of deal you can get on one of those?
A link for that seller or a PM please? V30+ very cheap on eBay but you may not get Android 9.0 and above firmware update.
That's another reason the LG V40 will get more updates.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back