LG V40 ThinQ

Switching from V30

• Yes

Votes: 47 41.6%
  • No

Votes: 66 58.4%

• Total voters
Oct 24, 2018 at 11:04 AM Post #121 of 973
Wow...with this informal poll it's nearly a dead heat, with top just edging out bottom placement:

upload_2018-10-24_11-3-36.png

Oct 24, 2018 at 1:05 PM Post #123 of 973
Lost post from me on this topic--beating a dead horse. I thought of another possible reason for the sudden flip between the V30 and the V40 jack location: space. The V30 had one camera but the V40 has two front cameras...so there may not be enough space with the camera hardware to properly install the jack up top this time around. I'm going to go with that theory :)

Some interesting 'bottom' advantages I ran across...it's just odd having the headphones stick out the bottom, but I'm sure I'll get used to it.

1. Less/no water ingress into open jack if talking on phone in rain (sure IP68,,,but no need to dry)
2. No interfering with the screen if headphones plugged in and holding the phone up to read display.
3. And the one i mentioned...charging and headphone cable on same side to help tame the wires

Oct 24, 2018 at 5:30 PM Post #124 of 973
I prefer to look down upon the device I'm plugging into, rather than looking up if that makes sense. I've also found that being LG moved the power button to the left of the phone vs the back side. I tend to push it when plugging into the bottom. It's just going to take some getting acquainted with. It's not as bad as trying to reel and retrieve a fishing reel on the opposite side than you usually do.

Oct 25, 2018 at 2:27 AM Post #125 of 973
I can't locate gapless playback on the Neutron app. I know it was there when I was using my 30, but after installing on my 40 and updating the app, I can't find it. The music use to fade in and out when switching tracks as well. Now it's not. Is there a specific selection for that?

Oct 27, 2018 at 9:50 PM Post #128 of 973
Add on top of all the listed items as to why the bottom jack is preferred, if I have the phone on the table, and I move the cable or something, it doesn't move / spin the phone to an angle like it would at the top.

Oct 27, 2018 at 10:20 PM Post #130 of 973
So, having a bottom jack makes you phone stick to the table?

At the angle I originally put it at, yes. If you have a top jack, and you move the cable, the cable moves the top of the phone in either a clockwise or counter-clockwise direction, which means the entire phone rotates.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2018 at 8:30 AM Post #131 of 973
At the angle I originally put it at, yes. If you have a top jack, and you move the cable, the cable moves the top of the phone in either a clockwise or counter-clockwise direction, which means the entire phone rotates.

Try a 6.3'' jack and an adapter. How is it sitting at the edge of the desk? I can't even use a phone with a bottom jack while in bed horizontally. Bottom jack is the dumbest thing ever on a phone that advertises hi-fi audio.
Bottom jack is only good for portable headphones with L-shaped jacks.

The bottom jack, the notch and the opinions I read here are enough for me to stick with the V30, maybe I'll even buy another V30 because I damaged the screen on the current one a little.

Hope they do a better job with V50.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2018 at 9:37 PM Post #132 of 973
Add on top of all the listed items as to why the bottom jack is preferred, if I have the phone on the table, and I move the cable or something, it doesn't move / spin the phone to an angle like it would at the top.
Makes perfect sense to me. But I still don't like it

Oct 29, 2018 at 12:05 AM Post #133 of 973
I hope someone else comes along who has both devices. I'd really like to hear some additional thoughts

I have a V30 and a V40 on order. I have some very high resolution Pioneer SE-Master1 headphones (and HIfiman X2 planars even the V30 can't drive enough) and you can bet I am going to be comparing the #%^ out of both phones. Supposedly there is more volume with the V40, but that's not what i'm hearing real world tests...

Wow...i still need some more listening time with the V40...but at this point i have to agree with Grant and Mhog and the V40 plain and simple just isn't as "lush" as the V30 sound It's leaner, brighter, and has less impact and immediacy as i go back and forth between these highly revealing headphones. Two great tracks to show this is Beatles 'Mother Nature's Son', which is a brittle recording to begin with--he V30 is way more listenable than the V40 at this point on this song. Also Peter Paul and Mary 'Early In The Morning' has an incredibly wide soundfield with far left and right vocals--it sound so much better on the V30. Probably will run music on them several hours to see if anything improves...and post more later.

One big issue that may have mucked with the sound is the inclusion of garbage DSP modes that no true audiophile will ever touch (who the hell will active DTS-X wide fakery?),which just clogs up the settings page and may have adversely affected the bitperfect sound we are looking for...

Not to mention i still really hate the bottom placement headphone jack. Hey LG, try using a 3.5" adapter for these 'phones and holding this beast with the jack there...it's not great at the top either but nearly unusable on the bottom.

20181028_235852.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2018 at 1:28 AM Post #134 of 973
Wow...i still need some more listening time with the V40...but at this point i have to agree with Grant and Mhog and the V40 plain and simple just isn't as "lush" as the V30 sound It's leaner, brighter, and has less impact and immediacy as i go back and forth between these highly revealing headphones. Two great tracks to show this is Beatles 'Mother Nature's Son', which is a brittle recording to begin with--he V30 is way more listenable than the V40 at this point on this song. Also Peter Paul and Mary 'Early In The Morning' has an incredibly wide soundfield with far left and right vocals--it sound so much better on the V30. Probably will run music on them several hours to see if anything improves...and post more later.

One big issue that may have mucked with the sound is the inclusion of garbage DSP modes that no true audiophile will ever touch (who the hell will active DTS-X wide fakery?),which just clogs up the settings page and may have adversely affected the bitperfect sound we are looking for...

Not to mention i still really hate the bottom placement headphone jack. Hey LG, try using a 3.5" adapter for these 'phones and holding this beast with the jack there...it's not great at the top either but nearly unusable on the bottom.

And just when I was moving on......
At least I know I'm not nuts

Oct 29, 2018 at 2:25 AM Post #135 of 973
It's really a damn shame. While it still sounds better than most smartphones, it's no longer a solid reason to choose it. I can't believe LG would listen to this and say, wow Meridian, you did a great job, or feel it equaled the sonic goodness of the 30. They really dropped the ball with this phone, and I imagine a lot of folks are going to be pissed.
I don't listen to it much anymore. It's that disappointing coming from the 30. Is it even possible to make some sort of future update that can improve sound this phone produces?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back