LG V30
Jan 3, 2019 at 6:56 AM Post #4,681 of 6,140
I tried Tidal app and also uapp with the "hi Res over Bluetooth" option.

Is that option "real"? Are we getting the MQA decoded with full quality with LDAC codec that way?

I thought there is some LDAC compression anyway.

You may have a point there. Highest quality MQA exceeds maximum LDAC bit rate.
I’m not fully sure how it works and assumed that all hi res audio would get wrapped and transmitted using LDAC over BT.
Expecting my BTR3 to arrive any day so I wil have a chance to experiment.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2019 at 10:04 AM Post #4,683 of 6,140
I thought MQA maxed at 24 bit - aptX HD also supports 24 but you need a phone that supports it (the V30 does) and headphones that can receive it (e.g., LG's Platinum Tone).
You are right but MQA goes to 192kHz whereas LDAC can’t transmit over 96.

I would personally take 96kHz playback over 192 if the 96 recording was even 1% better - hell, practically all of the things I listen to on Tidal are 16/44.1. If anything bit depth makes more sense to me, although I am interested in the argument that in the perception of music our brain can process data beyond the strict limits of hearing frequency-wise.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2019 at 12:23 PM Post #4,686 of 6,140
... And does anyone by chance have a Hiby R6 in addition to the v30 to compare the two? Surely Hiby is going to have more power for play through a higher range of headphones such as planars...but the V Series has MQA built in and it's so damn convenient to have a phone & player in one. But how close is is it when it comes to all-important audio performance with the R6?

Jan 6, 2019 at 12:52 PM Post #4,687 of 6,140
... And does anyone by chance have a Hiby R6 in addition to the v30 to compare the two? Surely Hiby is going to have more power for play through a higher range of headphones such as planars...but the V Series has MQA built in and it's so damn convenient to have a phone & player in one. But how close is is it when it comes to all-important audio performance with the R6?
The R6 has a fairly high output impedance. If you believe in the rule of 8, you'd not want to use it with < ~80 Ohm headphones.

Jan 7, 2019 at 10:10 AM Post #4,689 of 6,140
Just an FYI if you want to make use of the high-capacity memory slot of the phone...with the intro of 512GB micro sd cards, the 400GB version have fallen to a rediculously low cost. I remember having to import mine from Poland and take a chance to get it for $150 about a year ago...
Capture+_2019-01-07-10-03-24.png

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2019 at 4:52 PM Post #4,690 of 6,140
FE4DAF9B-4279-4BBD-A04F-E1C65639AF0E.jpeg Some advice please reference to setting up LDAC via Dev options. Trying to get FIIO BT3 dongle working at optimum audio.

I’m finding that the settings don’t stick after I make a change and revisit the page. For example setting streaming to 24bit instead of 32bit and LDAC playback quality set to Optimized 990kbps instead of Best Effort. They revert back.

Any ideas ?

Could it be they are sticking but not displaying in correct state when revisiting Dev options??

Jan 9, 2019 at 2:54 AM Post #4,691 of 6,140
My beloved HTC 10 died after only having the phone for 4 months and I took it back and got a refund. With the refunded money I put it towards buying the LG V30 after reading rave reviews about the audio quality and Quad DAC on the LG V30. I managed to buy the LG V30 at my local Carphone Warehouse and it’s the B&O branded version with the supplied B&O iems.

I loaded some music into the LG V30 and plugged in my Sennheiser Momentum on ear headphones but I’m a bit underwhelmed with the audio quality. It isn’t bad but it isn’t great either and I think I prefer the audio quality on the old HTC 10. I find the audio isn’t that loud even in Neutron Player which was great for loud audio and I am assuming the LG V30 is a victim of the dreaded EU volume cap. I have the Quad DAC switched on and tried the filters in the Quad DAC settings but I hear no difference.

I have not had the LG V30 long so maybe I will start to like it but one thing that I am impressed with is the battery life which is excellent. Also, worth mentioning is that when I took the LG V30 out the box I instantly downloaded and installed the new Android Oreo v8.0 OS. I wonder if that has affected the audio quality.

Jan 9, 2019 at 3:06 AM Post #4,692 of 6,140
My beloved HTC 10 died after only having the phone for 4 months and I took it back and got a refund. With the refunded money I put it towards buying the LG V30 after reading rave reviews about the audio quality and Quad DAC on the LG V30. I managed to buy the LG V30 at my local Carphone Warehouse and it’s the B&O branded version with the supplied B&O iems.

I loaded some music into the LG V30 and plugged in my Sennheiser Momentum on ear headphones but I’m a bit underwhelmed with the audio quality. It isn’t bad but it isn’t great either and I think I prefer the audio quality on the old HTC 10. I find the audio isn’t that loud even in Neutron Player which was great for loud audio and I am assuming the LG V30 is a victim of the dreaded EU volume cap. I have the Quad DAC switched on and tried the filters in the Quad DAC settings but I hear no difference.

I have not had the LG V30 long so maybe I will start to like it but one thing that I am impressed with is the battery life which is excellent. Also, worth mentioning is that when I took the LG V30 out the box I instantly downloaded and installed the new Android Oreo v8.0 OS. I wonder if that has affected the audio quality.
If you haven't triggered auxiliary mode or high impedance mode, the sound and volume will indeed be underwhelming. Plug the headphone cable into the phone 1st with the wire detached from the headphones. Then plug them into the headphones - auxiliary mode will then be triggered. If that doesn't provide you with enough volume, the next step is high impedance mode.

Jan 9, 2019 at 3:25 AM Post #4,693 of 6,140

I found the audio to be very flat with my Sennheiser HD6xx's, so it might even be a Sennheiser thing (or my 49 year old knackered ears thing), but they sound nice and lively with my Bayer DT990 Pro's.

Like anything audio, matching is probably the most important thing you need to do to get a successful result. Do you have the opportunity to try some different headphones?

Jan 9, 2019 at 5:31 AM Post #4,694 of 6,140
I plugged in another pair of headphones I have which are the Oppo PM3. First as advised on here I disconnected the cable from my Oppo headphones and connected the cable to my LG V30 then connected the other end back to my Oppo headphones. I now find that the audio sounds a bit louder on the LG music player but on Neutron Player the sound is still a bit lower even on high volume. Overall the audio sounds a bit cold but very detailed. However, it sounds a bit warmer when I select bass preset on the LG music player EQ.

Update:

I plugged my Sennheiser Momentum on ear headphones back in as advised on here by disconnecting the cable from the headphones and plugging into my LG V30 the connecting back to the headphones and now it is LOUD! :)

I think I’m going to love this phone now. :)

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2019 at 5:53 AM Post #4,695 of 6,140
I plugged in another pair of headphones I have which are the Oppo PM3. First as advised on here I disconnected the cable from my Oppo headphones and connected the cable to my LG V30 then connected the other end back to my Oppo headphones. I now find that the audio sounds a bit louder on the LG music player but on Neutron Player the sound is still a bit lower even on high volume. Overall the audio sounds a bit cold but very detailed. However, it sounds a bit warmer when I select bass preset on the LG music player EQ.

Update:

I plugged my Sennheiser Momentum on ear headphones back in as advised on here by disconnecting the cable from the headphones and plugging into my LG V30 the connecting back to the headphones and now it is LOUD! :)

I think I’m going to love this phone now. :)
I recommend using UAPP with v30 with bit perfect mode on. Native music player is something too avoid in my opinion, didnt like Neutron as well (to complicated and didnt sound better than UAPP).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back