LG V20 Sound Quality
Dec 19, 2017 at 2:33 AM Post #3,241 of 4,141
Bloated bass? What headphones or iem you use?

Are you using the B&O version? Try the American v20.

It's an American H910. I don't know what the B&O version is so it's safe to assume I don't have it. But as you can see I've solved the problem now :)

Edit: or have I? Even compared to high impedance mode, going through the Fiio E11 amp gets the bass far tighter and more precise on my Q701, and it makes an even bigger difference on my Audeze Sines. Wow the Sines sound ten times better on Fiio's amp! That's a world of difference

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2017 at 2:25 AM Post #3,242 of 4,141
The V20 is getting less and less attractive. I picked up an iPhone 4s for $20 to try the Audeze Cypher cable, and while that doesn't work and the iPhone has severe problems preventing it from being remotely usable as a phone (my Hifiman players have more intuitive UIs), but fortunately I only want it to play music, nothing more (and even getting it to do that much has been incredibly frustrating; as if the V20 was any different in that regard. Ha!)

The iPhone 4s sound quality from the headphone jack blows the V20 away! It wins in clarity, accuracy, it maintains tight control over the bass at all times, and finally it drives my planar magnetic headphones with more power and authority than the V20 can muster even in the double secret power mode. It bears mention that you don't have to screw around with multiple pieces of fiddly extra equipment just to get your headphones to a reasonable volume with the 4s, either!

I'm not going to get rid of my v20 just yet, I love the second screen and no other phone has anything like it. And I'm certainly not about to switch to apple phones, I'm no masochist.

But what a disappointment this V20 has been! I was willing to forgive the V20's sonic shortcomings because it's a phone and I'd never heard one that sounds as good. Well, now I have, and it's humbling.

Dec 20, 2017 at 2:34 AM Post #3,243 of 4,141
The V20 is getting less and less attractive. I picked up an iPhone 4s for $20 to try the Audeze Cypher cable, and while that doesn't work and the iPhone has severe problems preventing it from being remotely usable as a phone (my Hifiman players have more intuitive UIs), but fortunately I only want it to play music, nothing more (and even getting it to do that much has been incredibly frustrating; as if the V20 was any different in that regard. Ha!)

The iPhone 4s sound quality from the headphone jack blows the V20 away! It wins in clarity, accuracy, it maintains tight control over the bass at all times, and finally it drives my planar magnetic headphones with more power and authority than the V20 can muster even in the double secret power mode. It bears mention that you don't have to screw around with multiple pieces of fiddly extra equipment just to get your headphones to a reasonable volume with the 4s, either!

I'm not going to get rid of my v20 just yet, I love the second screen and no other phone has anything like it. And I'm certainly not about to switch to apple phones, I'm no masochist.

But what a disappointment this V20 has been! I was willing to forgive the V20's sonic shortcomings because it's a phone and I'd never heard one that sounds as good. Well, now I have, and it's humbling.

The old Galaxy phones that had Wolfson DACs had solid sound too.

They don't make em like they used to...*dons monocle*

Dec 20, 2017 at 6:19 AM Post #3,244 of 4,141

I have iphone 4s. Does not by any stretch of the imagination compare to v20. V20 is a technical iem. Try ath with the v20.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2017 at 3:00 PM Post #3,245 of 4,141
I have iphone 4s. Does not by any stretch of the imagination compare to v20. V20 is a technical iem. Try ath with the v20.
Same here.
Something is definitely wrong with his V20...
My V20 (the 990 dual sim version, no B&O) performs flawlessly, and brings a touch more details with V10 while keeping the solid bass and smooth treble.

Dec 20, 2017 at 6:08 PM Post #3,246 of 4,141
DJ, truly not intending to be insulting, but your comments have really been in outer space lately. Not sure what's going on here...and so many exclamation points. Do you think there is something wrong with your v20? The comparisons and observations seem really out of line with nearly everyone else's experiences.

Dec 21, 2017 at 12:19 AM Post #3,247 of 4,141
DJ, truly not intending to be insulting, but your comments have really been in outer space lately. Not sure what's going on here...and so many exclamation points. Do you think there is something wrong with your v20? The comparisons and observations seem really out of line with nearly everyone else's experiences.

Too much Sarcasm 101 up to Advanced Sarcasm 601. Not everybody will get what he's saying.

Dec 25, 2017 at 4:23 AM Post #3,248 of 4,141
Hi, I have just bought LG Q8, which is almost the same as V20. Have a question about quad dac (hi-fi dac). I use the phone with Bose ae2 (lower than 50 impedance). So, when plugged in, the phone recognises them as normal audio. Yesterday, I was playing around, plugging in and out headphone jack very fast (like 20-30 times). At one point, the phone recognised headphones as high impedance, which changed for better audio quality and output. after re-plugging back to normal. so if i am lucky to hit high impedance mode when put the headphones, I can have better audio quality.
I find this very limiting
My question: is this normal? is there some other work around to switch to high impedance mode (or external audio mode with the normal impedance headphones)? i googled that it should be possible with additional jack, but not of interest. thanks for the reply in advance

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2017 at 6:13 PM Post #3,249 of 4,141
Hi!

1) it doesn't change the output-impedance - that stays the same (otherwise a high impedance headphone would change it too -
wink_face.gif
) but ...
2) ...it increases the input-impedance of the headphones you connect
3) it reduces hiss and noise level should there be any
4) if you connect it without a headphone connected or with one connected on my LGV10 it triggers high impedance mode - the highest amp mode possible
5) of course that comes at a price - it reduces the volume but that is compensated by the stronger amp

The adapter does not change the output impedance but the input impedance (like a headphone, the resistance) so there is no deterioration of sound or frequency response in the headphones. It does quieten the sound as mentioned before. However the better sound quality of the higher amp mode does compensate for that easily.

In the V10 thread was a lot of debate - I think we settled that the line out (ext audio) and high impedance mode trigger the extra amp of the V10 to take over and its sound quality is better.

You can choose to take a 20 Ohm adapter - then you have less volume drop (and still an overall volume improvement if high mode is triggered) and depending on the headphones you use you might still trigger high impedance mode (if headphone +20 Ohm adapter = >50 Ohm).

I hope the above makes any sense...

Cheers!

EDIT:
Example: I just had the RHA T10 connected - with adapter I listen to volume level 45 - without adapter I get the same volume around 40 so not a huge difference with a 75 Ohm adapter.

Just for the record--since no one else has corrected this--this is dead wrong. Putting a resistor in series on a headphone cable INCREASES THE OUTPUT IMPEDANCE of the player, which is the opposite of what was claimed. If this wasn't the case then I don't know why output impedance would even matter.

The guy also doesn't seem to differentiate between impedance and resistance, so that should be a clue. There's also no point in saying "input impedance" on a headphone because what other kind is there?

Dec 26, 2017 at 10:44 PM Post #3,250 of 4,141
Just for the record--since no one else has corrected this--this is dead wrong. Putting a resistor in series on a headphone cable INCREASES THE OUTPUT IMPEDANCE of the player, which is the opposite of what was claimed. If this wasn't the case then I don't know why output impedance would even matter.

The guy also doesn't seem to differentiate between impedance and resistance, so that should be a clue. There's also no point in saying "input impedance" on a headphone because what other kind is there?

Thanks for speaking about me in the third person, makes me feel better. It’s an old post.

First, I am not well versed in physics and I said that I hope it makes any sense.... today I would write and word it differently. But I guess it comes down to what you define the cable to be part of, the player or the headphone? The player on its original output jack has the same output impedance. The headphone has, thanks to the new extended cable a higher ohm rating (input impedance). Players have natural output impedsmce, ideally as low as possible, but some, like my old AK100 (the original mark I) had an output impedance of 22 Ohms which made some headphones sound great, especially the ones designed to work with stage gear, and some sound weird.

Second, in the meantime there is another alternative, you can use the ifi IEMatch works very well too and doesn’t change the impedance but uses some other trickery.

The point we were all making here was to trick the amp into switching in the high power mode. The player has an output impedance on the jack, the headphone has impedance as a “set” cable and transducers, so take your pick which one we increase with the cable extension.

Cheers.

Dec 28, 2017 at 4:25 AM Post #3,253 of 4,141
Thanks for speaking about me in the third person, makes me feel better. It’s an old post.

First, I am not well versed in physics and I said that I hope it makes any sense.... today I would write and word it differently. But I guess it comes down to what you define the cable to be part of, the player or the headphone? The player on its original output jack has the same output impedance. The headphone has, thanks to the new extended cable a higher ohm rating (input impedance). Players have natural output impedsmce, ideally as low as possible, but some, like my old AK100 (the original mark I) had an output impedance of 22 Ohms which made some headphones sound great, especially the ones designed to work with stage gear, and some sound weird.

Second, in the meantime there is another alternative, you can use the ifi IEMatch works very well too and doesn’t change the impedance but uses some other trickery.

The point we were all making here was to trick the amp into switching in the high power mode. The player has an output impedance on the jack, the headphone has impedance as a “set” cable and transducers, so take your pick which one we increase with the cable extension.

Cheers.

Heh I was trying to correct you without attacking you, not a strength of mine :)

I get why you're saying what you are, and I'm not the best at explaining things either, but the fact is it doesn't matter whether you think of the cable resistance as part of the headphones or not. It is part of the amplifier, period. I can't explain why, just that it is. Learning to explain why might be a good goal for this weekend.

Read some of he-who-must-not-be-named's posts about output impedance (are we allowed to talk about the o2 designer here yet?). He complains about amp designs he calls lazy that use a resistor on the output to stabilize an otherwise bad design, because that's one of the major ways poor output impedance happens. This is precisely what you're doing with the cable; adding a resistor to the amp output.

The correct way is to use an extension cable and REMOVE the resistor before plugging real headphones in. Or just don't buy another LG phone that makes you have to look like an idiot just to listen to music. I know I'm done with LG after this. It's not like the V20 is the only good sounding phone out there.

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2017 at 12:32 AM Post #3,254 of 4,141
Hi there, my 75 ohm adapter arrived yesterday, and i have listened at "high impedance mode" for quite some time. It's sadly reported imho that it's only a gimmick. No subtle difference is been experienced. When in HIM, by turning off the hifi dac, volume levels drop to below avg.. So when hifi dac turned on, due to volume rise, one may think fidelity improves, which is not the case

Dec 29, 2017 at 5:28 AM Post #3,255 of 4,141
Hi there, my 75 ohm adapter arrived yesterday, and i have listened at "high impedance mode" for quite some time. It's sadly reported imho that it's only a gimmick. No subtle difference is been experienced. When in HIM, by turning off the hifi dac, volume levels drop to below avg.. So when hifi dac turned on, due to volume rise, one may think fidelity improves, which is not the case

Buddy, problem with impedance adaptor is it blocks the excessive voltage or current that is going through the adaptor right ? So when you use it , try to first plug a 3.5mm male to female adaptor with impedance adaptor in it and then once high impedance is detected remove impedance adaptor only, Not the male to female adaptor and plug in your earphone or headphone.
Another method is plug in Y splitter with impedance adaptor on one side and plus earphone on other side. I will attach an image to show y splittor
IMG_20171029_145452.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back